New trains between Bangkok and Chiang Mai

lj cm

I tried the new overnight train from Bangkok to Chiang Mai. I chose 2nd class sleeper, as I always have in the older express trains. Here are my thoughts.

First, since it uses the same engines and same tracks, it is not any faster or more on time than the older express trains still running. My departure and arrival were on time, but then most of my other trips over the last year on the older express cars have also been on time.

It's even more over-air-conditioned than the old cars. A friend's wife who took the new train recently told me the same thing.

The prepackaged food is worse. They no longer offer khao tom (rice soup) in the morning, a dish which was arguably the best thing about the old concession, which was otherwise below par, but better than what I was served on the fancy new train.

The beds seemed to me to be marginally larger. I'm 188cm, and in the older upper berths, I usually have to lie down diagonally to stretch my legs fully. I didn't have to do that in an upper berth in the new car. I haven't tried a lower berth on the new train yet, so can't comment on the size.

Overall the car was cleaner than the average older express sleeper, but then it's brand new.

The added TVs are super annoying, played at unnecessarily loud volume. At least they didn't keep them going all night, but you can forget about enjoyed the calm, relatively quiet ambience of the older express cars.

All in all, I prefer the older express sleepers, and when I travel back to Bangkok, will be sure to exercise that preference.

25 minutes ago, SpoliaOpima said:

I tried the new overnight train from Bangkok to Chiang Mai. I chose 2nd class sleeper, as I always have in the older express trains. Here are my thoughts.

First, since it uses the same engines and same tracks, it is not any faster or more on time than the older express trains still running. My departure and arrival were on time, but then most of my other trips over the last year on the older express cars have also been on time.

It's even more over-air-conditioned than the old cars. A friend's wife who took the new train recently told me the same thing.

The prepackaged food is worse. They no longer offer khao tom (rice soup) in the morning, a dish which was arguably the best thing about the old concession, which was otherwise below par, but better than what I was served on the fancy new train.

The beds seemed to me to be marginally larger. I'm 188cm, and in the older upper berths, I usually have to lie down diagonally to stretch my legs fully. I didn't have to do that in an upper berth in the new car. I haven't tried a lower berth on the new train yet, so can't comment on the size.

Overall the car was cleaner than the average older express sleeper, but then it's brand new.

The added TVs are super annoying, played at unnecessarily loud volume. At least they didn't keep them going all night, but you can forget about enjoyed the calm, relatively quiet ambience of the older express cars.

All in all, I prefer the older express sleepers, and when I travel back to Bangkok, will be sure to exercise that preference.

khao tom..... What they feed the elderly, sick and infirmed...

Thank you SpoliaOpima for your report.  Do you sleep in the same direction in the new cars, i.e. parallel with the tracks or perpendicular like you did in 1st class in the old trains.  We've taken 1st class a few times in the old trains and I never liked sleeping perpendicular to the tracks, where you rocked with every roll of the train.

Oh, I'd much prefer nice fresh hot khao tom to some pre-packaged Thai's idea of a western breakfast that was made the day before.

TVs at full volume.  <deleted> is it with people in this part of the solar system?  Thank gawd my back packing days on public transport in Asia are long gone!

Edited by metisdead
Profane acronym removed.

New trains are up & running....But only certain departure times have the new equipment...Due to family business my wife took the new train down as the rails run closer to the destination than the airports...

She booked the woman's car, 2nd class air, but it looked the same as the others....

Nice inside - we sat in while waiting the departure....The seat pads are not as comfortable as the old seats but look like they're quick & easy to replace - it would be a hard seat after a few hours use.....I didn't get to see the berth....The dining car looked ok.....Everything looked clean & efficient - like an airplane but with less comfortable padding....

On the trips down & back the trains were on time....That takes some getting used to.....

Again - only a couple of the runs feature the new cars....

1 hour ago, NancyL said:

Thank you SpoliaOpima for your report.  Do you sleep in the same direction in the new cars, i.e. parallel with the tracks or perpendicular like you did in 1st class in the old trains.  We've taken 1st class a few times in the old trains and I never liked sleeping perpendicular to the tracks, where you rocked with every roll of the train.

Oh, I'd much prefer nice fresh hot khao tom to some pre-packaged Thai's idea of a western breakfast that was made the day before.

Same direction, ie, parallel to the tracks. Very much like the older cars, but with less padding as someone else pointed out above.

The loud TVs were the deal-killer for me.

1877834.jpg

Just a couple of days ago I returned from Bangkok via the new train, 2nd class.  Yes it's new, cleaner, and overall nicer, but the loud TVs went on too long.  After a half hour into the trip or so they were turned off.  It was only advertising about the rail systems in Thailand, not regular TV.  The screens then showed a map of the route as well as previous station and next station, plus a full log of all stations along the route.

Food was OK, and served in the dining car only as opposed to hawkers going up and down the aisles vending their drinks and such.  I guess they figure that breakfast would be best gotten at one's destination, which is pretty much true.

Toilets resembled those in an aircraft, what, with large, well-lighted mirrors, hand washing lavatory complete with liquid soap and paper towels!  There were also separate areas to wash up outside of the enclosed cubicles.

Automatic, "touch screen" glass doors at each end of the car were a nice addition making moving from one car to another effortless.  The area between cars was well-sealed and relatively quiet. 

Staff was always available and ready to assist.  Throughout the journey the janitorial staff collected trash and swept the aisle, keeping the car looking new and in order.  All in all it was a pleasant trip both ways.

Oh, and the car that I was in was colder than I preferred.  Another car or two on the way to the dining car were not so cold.  The attendant said that the temp controls were automatic, and could not be adjusted.  It would be impossible to satisfy everyone anyway, of course.

Edited by MrBrad
Add information.

On ‎16‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 9:22 PM, MickeyMaow said:

Just curious, why would they want to take the train? That train journey is torture, forget what the time table says it takes 14-16 hour and they get you out of your bunk at 6am like jailers getting you up for the day.

Flights from don muang airport to Chiang Mai can be got for less than 1000 baht now.

I've never been forced to get out of bed at 6 am, and many are still happily asleep much later.

It's my preferred mode of travel, as more adventurous than the other options available and far safer than a bus or car.

On ‎13‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 0:05 PM, KhonKaenKowboy said:

Enjoy your trips!  That scenery must be great in the pitch black jungle.  I've got two round trips coming up to BKK...paid 550 for one and 462 for the other....on a  modern jet.  

? I'm usually asleep when it's pitch black, and up enjoying the scenery when I wake up and it's after dawn.

Bet you can't take 40 kgs of luggage on your flights.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

On 12/13/2016 at 0:34 PM, MrBrad said:

Just a couple of days ago I returned from Bangkok via the new train

Does the new train leave Bangkok in the morning or is it a night train ? 

16 hours ago, jobin said:

How many scheduled stops, at train stations, between CM and BKK?  If any at all, can riders exit, buy food, smoke, etc? 

Sounds like a good way to carry golf clubs, avoiding the air fares for sports gear. 

.., or maybe time for a cold libation or 2 of ye olde amber fluid ?

Edited by Sandy Freckle

16 hours ago, jobin said:

How many scheduled stops, at train stations, between CM and BKK?  If any at all, can riders exit, buy food, smoke, etc? 

Sounds like a good way to carry golf clubs, avoiding the air fares for sports gear. 

Again, it's a night train, and most of Thailand along the route is tucked in their beds, and so is everyone else on the train.  Even the staff.

But, no, there is no opportunity to get off unless you've paid for transit to an intermediate point along the way.  Stops are brief and uneventful.  Nobody gets off unless they're at their destination.

On 12/16/2016 at 9:33 PM, jobin said:

Depends on the service, but there is usually either a restaurant car or hawkers that get on at one station till the next and then return on a train going the other way.

You could get off for a breath,  but don't expect the train to wait any longer than it has to.