Decathlon outdoor gear shop

CMMCB

I'm just back from checking out the new Decathlon shop inside the Tesco Lotus Hang Dong building (ground floor, on the left hand side as you walk in the front door) which has quite a wide selection of affordable hiking and camping gear, something long missing from the CM scene. Boots, tents, base layers, fleeces, trekking poles, rucksacks and a whole host of other outdoor and sporting gear. Widest selection I've seen in CM, but mainly their own in-house brands, it seems. Chatted with the (I think) manager, Khun Ton (as in tree, I think; or Tony) who seems eager to please and with quite good English. Apparently there's a website, but not checked it out yet. I have no connection with the company; just a potential regular customer who knows many people looking for this kind of gear. Bought a cheap daysack (10L) for 99 baht! 

Happy hiking!

Also worth noting is that they've got 'Western-sized' clothing- I wear a US XL shirt (for reference I'm about 188cm and 90kg in decent shape), and found their 2XL is nearly the same (perhaps a touch larger, but their XL was a bit too small for me)- they had sizes up to 3XL in many (not all) T-shirts, so even bigger guys can find something that will fit.  Shoes seemed to go up to 45 (which left me out as I'm a 47).

I agree with the OP- it's a nice shop and worth stopping in to browse.

I'm just back from several weeks in Nepal. Prior to leaving I was incredibly frustrated at the lack of options here, so it's good to know there are more choices. You mentioned some things are locally made, how is the quality? 

That said, if anyone is going to Nepal for trekking, you can get literally everything you need in Kathmandu. Most stores are fake, but there are a handful of legit stores and some good quality Sherpa made gear, for about the same price as you would pay for it in the USA or Europe. 

2 hours ago, dcnx said:

I'm just back from several weeks in Nepal. Prior to leaving I was incredibly frustrated at the lack of options here, so it's good to know there are more choices. You mentioned some things are locally made, how is the quality? 

Don't think anyone said "local", though I noticed two labels: one Vietnam, one Myanmar. 

I visited last week and they have a lot of stock that nobody else is selling in CM. Lots of winter coats that are useless over here but if you are going somewhere cold you have a few more choices. Some decent bicycle stuff. Panniers , bags, clip on/off baskets that are pretty cool. Some of the clothing is good. Lightweight tents for hikers. All sorts of stuff. Lots of kids stuff. It's a decent shop.

• 4 weeks later...

Resurrecting this topic to ask if the Decathalon shop(on the ground floor of Tesco Lotus Hang Dong)..., is still there..., and if it is, have any recent visitors noticed if they had any of those fabric bush hats ?

Specifically the bush hats with the dark under-brim and gause mesh top strip..., for helping keep a cool head ? They are usually made from synthetic micro-fibre material. Columbia make them also. 

On ‎10‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 9:00 PM, CNXBKKMAN said:

I visited last week and they have a lot of stock that nobody else is selling in CM. Lots of winter coats that are useless over here but if you are going somewhere cold you have a few more choices. Some decent bicycle stuff. Panniers , bags, clip on/off baskets that are pretty cool. Some of the clothing is good. Lightweight tents for hikers. All sorts of stuff. Lots of kids stuff. It's a decent shop.

You say that the winter coats are useless over here, but come January some of the Thais will be wrapped up like they are on an expedition to the north pole.

I have visited Decathlon, and they do seem to stock some excellent stuff, that isn't available elsewhere.  I have not personally made any purchases yet though.

5 hours ago, Sandy Freckle said:

Resurrecting this topic to ask if the Decathalon shop(on the ground floor of Tesco Lotus Hang Dong)..., is still there..., and if it is, have any recent visitors noticed if they had any of those fabric bush hats ?

Specifically the bush hats with the dark under-brim and gause mesh top strip..., for helping keep a cool head ? They are usually made from synthetic micro-fibre material. Columbia make them also. 

There were some light weight bush hats there but can't remember if they were excatly the style you are looking for.I bought a light weight cap and a pair of shorts.Prices were ok but not particularly well made.We also bought a small back pack.All 3 items were made in China.Pretty big range of camping stuff,tents etc  if anyone does that.

41 minutes ago, jobin said:

Sandy, if you need a big sun hat, i suggest you check out the HillTribe shop next to Wat Suan Dok, just off Sirimangkalajarn Rd.  Many nice items there all made by hill tribes supported by the Royal Decrees of years ago. 

Thanks Jobin, we will check this place out...., although I've been specifically looking for a bush hat the like of which 'Columbia' make.

Actually, at Decathalon store I noticed that at the end of each isle there is a clearance section..., old stock and oddments I guess. I saw some stuff there that I thought was very good value.., and I possibly would have been swayed to purchase..., if I had a need for that item that is.
Also, as a previous post has stated, theres lots of plus sized clothing..., including those very light weight shirts with breathing vents in the upper part near the arm pit n shoulders..., or some such. Perfect for this climate !

Edited by Sandy Freckle
clarify

15 hours ago, MESmith said:

Decathlon do have a website.  It even tells you whether a particular item is in stock at the Chiang Mai branch.  How hard is that?  No need to ask on TV :-)

Well there you go ,don't read TV and you would never know that they have web site that can even tell you if stock is available, that must be a first for a retail store in CM.       Thanks for that, will save many a trip