Moving To Thailand For A One-year Stay

Hi all,

forgive me if this has already been answered, but I have combed the web and this site and I'm getting mixed info. I am a 24 year old U.S. citizen who will be moving to Thailand in August (hopefully will have a job already set up--but I may need to find one when I get there). Could someone tell me which visa I would need and how to get it?

I will be staying in Thailand for about one year, and working. Sorry if this question is redundant but I'd appreciate the info. Thanks,

-Jessica

I wonder what job you are planning to do?

Generally job opportunities for foreigners are limited to those where the Thai's

do not have the necessary skills or experience.

Provided you have a letter offering the job, you will be able to apply for a

Non-Immigrant visa ( a single entry visa will be all that you need) at the Thai embassy in your country.

Once you arrive your employer will take care of obtaining the Work Permit to go with the visa.

Hi Astral,

More and more, I am planning on teaching. It seems like foreign English-speakers have the best chance at getting teaching jobs over other jobs--- I just don't have experience teaching but I do have a Bachelor's Degree.

Do you think it would be a mistake to look for a job after arriving in Thailand? I've read somewhere that doing that may be a good idea, because that way the employer can see you, and get his/her first impression.

Hopefully I can get that letter offering me a job first, though, and get the single-entry Non-Immigrant visa. Thank you for all your help so far!

;-) Jessica

Hi Astral,

More and more, I am planning on teaching. It seems like foreign English-speakers have the best chance at getting teaching jobs over other jobs--- I just don't have experience teaching but I do have a Bachelor's Degree.

Do you think it would be a mistake to look for a job after arriving in Thailand? I've read somewhere that doing that may be a good idea, because that way the employer can see you, and get his/her first impression.

Hopefully I can get that letter offering me a job first, though, and get the single-entry Non-Immigrant visa. Thank you for all your help so far!

;-) Jessica

Sounds like a plan, another aspiring adventurer trying to go on the poverty line at 25000 Baht a month.....wonder what they learnt in college about salaries and standards of living......

another aspiring adventurer trying to go on the poverty line at 25000 Baht a month.....wonder what they learnt in college about salaries and standards of living

DoubleTrouble,

Instead of being sarcastic and implying that I won't be able to succeed, you could offer some advice. But then, that would be a nice thing to do. I know it's unimportant that I defend myself here, but I've been independent from my family for the last 6 years--I know I can succeed if I try.

That is a very unique idea to come here to teach English. I've heard of it once or twice by my fellow Americans and a brit or 2. I imagine they need teachers here. I don't know what on earth they pay but I do know that no one makes good bucks in Thailand that I know of. The successful people I meet here made their cash elsewhere then moved here after quitting jobs or retiring. They are loaded to hilt with cash and cashflow from outside thailand

Hi Astral,

;-) Jessica

Try for that job offer first Jessica. Then you can get a Non-Immigrant B visa before you arrive. Otherwise you'll have to leave Thailand to get one in an adjoining country. Good luck.