Another What is This? This one is in the house.

MrBrad

This is one for entomologists, I think.  I don't remember seeing these little whatever-they-ares during other rainy seasons, but especially during the past few weeks they've become quite numerous in the house.  With my house being fully enclosed and well-screened, I wonder how they even get in.  One or two insects do gain entrance from time to time, but these guys are a daily occurrence.  Today I discovered one on the baseboard and another on my laundry basket.  A farang neighbor also has them in larger numbers this year; no doubt the Thai neighbors do too, but their houses are generally very open.

Anyway, what are they?  Since I think they're larvae of some kind, what will they become?  And most mysteriously, since they don't appear to have wings, how do they transport themselves?

Thanks for your sleuthing.

insect 002.JPG

insect 003.JPG

This is the larvae of a moth. It is a pest and should be killed on sight. I think these moths then also eat textiles and food...

These larvaes cover themselves in dust and small dirt particles and normally at night crawl slowly upwards towards the ceiling where they then fix themselves to the ceiling with a small thread and wait to evolve in a moth.

I believe they are called case moths...and they spend most of their life inside the 'case' . Relatively harmless.

Not like silverfish which devour anything paper.

We have lots in the bathroom....maybe they like the moisture.

Heck, I thought they were gecko (gingjo) poo, well, until I saw one moving. "Honey, the gingjo poo is moving!"  Wife said those are the pupae of some kind of flying insect.  The little guys like moisture. 

7 hours ago, Carlos Primeros said:

This is the larvae of a moth. It is a pest and should be killed on sight. I think these moths then also eat textiles and food...

These larvaes cover themselves in dust and small dirt particles and normally at night crawl slowly upwards towards the ceiling where they then fix themselves to the ceiling with a small thread and wait to evolve in a moth.

The only creatures that should be killed on sight are the little blood suckers - mosquitoes, tics and fleas etc.  Please let the rest be if at all possible.

I'm not sure about the bagworm moth suggestion.  Checking Google I learned a thing or two about something else that puzzled me, and that's the larva I've seen many times outdoors.  A photo is below.

I also see that there are some 1,350 species of the bagworm moth, so perhaps that's what it is.

Thanks to all for the help.

Meture-Elongatus bagworm moth.jpg

Always surprised though I should not be by the lack of observation skills and bio education exibited on the forum.Yea, they are harmless little moth larvae, they become harmless little black moths a favorite food of harmless little chinchoks

10 hours ago, daoyai said:

Always surprised though I should not be by the lack of observation skills and bio education exibited on the forum.Yea, they are harmless little moth larvae, they become harmless little black moths a favorite food of harmless little chinchoks

I was shocked, too, that the OP couldn't recognize a bagworm moth larva when he spotted one.  When I was a lad, the close and sedulous study of bagworm moths was part of every child's basic education,

Archived