Tourism in Thailand to continue with curbs on entertainment

webfact

33 minutes ago, NongKhaiKid said:

I'm not claiming to have a good handle on what a Thai thinks but am surprised at openly being told the lack of entertainment isn't appreciated as I was expecting the party line as it were.

In the same vein to a certain extent I'm really surprised at the lack of mourning clothing being worn and that's not a thought to deed conflict.

I do appreciate the effect of peer pressure however which has been seen in a disgusting fashion in a couple of videos and the anger, violence is explained away by a psychologist as part of the grieving process. How does he explain the anger and violence at other times ?

Good points. The day after his passing, I was the only person wearing black (and the only foreigner) at a provincial 3-star hotel but by the weekend, it was much more prevalent. My wife's 21 year-old niece said she got some strange looks when she popped into the local 7-eleven wearing a red t-shirt. Anyway, Yah told her to be a bit more thoughtful in future. By Monday, all the clothing stores in the local mall had totally reworked their display and stock and anything but black was hard to find. I was surprised to see 3 young lads in white t-shirts at breakfast last Sunday but then realized it may have been related to Awk Phansa. Back in Pattaya, there's a fair bit of white being worn as that too is a mourning colour, albeit mainly a Chinese tradition?

Although I haven't seen the videos your refer to, social media certainly appears to be much more active in light of the current media restrictions. Maybe the recently announced relaxation of what can be broadcast has been driven by that fact.

As someone has said already, but possibly in a different context, it is still early days. I guess what many Thai's regarded as the worst thing that can happen has just happened. Guidance, even unspoken guidance has been a constant these past few decades and now someone else has to think very, very carefully what they say and do let alone any guidance they formally issue.

Edited by NanLaew

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the crux of the issue is that as many posters have stated Thailand is in a state of grieving. Which is to be very much expected and respected. But as Thailand is heavily reliant on income from tourists who want to let their hair down on their holidays, this creates a bit of a problem, as many tourists are young, attracted to the beach and bar scene here. 

Essentially coming to Thailand now for your annual break is akin to choosing a funeral parlour for your family holiday.  

The dear minister also seems to have got his ideas muddled - Thailand does have many cultural attractions - Like Loy Kratong / Grand palace etc - but that will be muted or used for mouring purposes and not many people will come here for health reasons unless they are sick and or want a cheap boob job. Either of which means cash is spent getting yourself well, not seeing the sights. 

I think the government should just bite the bullet and state that tourism needs to take a back seat during these exceptional times, incomes may well be affected so plan accordingly. 

In Chiang Mai 50% of all hotel bookings are cancelled within 3 days, as the Mayor made a stupid unforced statement, that everything will be cancelleduntil end of the year. My gf works in a 5 star hotel, today they got wriiten order to take all their free days of in November, 
November was in the last 10 years the best month in Chiang Mai with a 100% utilization. 
Now they have only 50% booked what is worth than April and May, the worst months in CM. Untill January around 30 to 50% of the tourist orientated business will give up, because no cash flow and run out of money

I think your right the soi with all the bars were pretty much deserted last night

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

The problem is that the perception is now out that Thailand now and for an unknown period, (one month, one year?) Is not a place to holiday. Hence the sort of level that cancellations are reported to be running at.

Now I don't know the extent to which the Thai people wish to see entertainment curbed (I suspect that they have little say in it), but there will be inevitable severe and long lasting losses in income for many. For some the losses will be total.

The tourist industry will take a long time to recover, if it ever does.

The problem is that the perception is now out that Thailand now and for an unknown period, (one month, one year?) Is not a place to holiday. Hence the sort of level that cancellations are reported to be running at.

Now I don't know the extent to which the Thai people wish to see entertainment curbed (I suspect that they have little say in it), but there will be inevitable severe and long lasting losses in income for many. For some the losses will be total.

The tourist industry will take a long time to recover, if it ever does.

Silly post. You really think 30 days of toned down music will destroy and sink thailand tourism? Actually it's idiotic.

18 minutes ago, mcfish said:

Silly post. You really think 30 days of toned down music will destroy and sink thailand tourism? Actually it's idiotic.

You're the one being silly. Read my post - I'm talking about perceptions. The tourists already here may or may not be affected,  I don't live in a particularly "touristy" area so I frankly don't know other than what I  hear on this forum. But the perception is what will hit the bookings.  I don't think there's  anything idiotic about that suggestion. 

Edited by JAG

You're the one being silly. Read my post - I'm talking about perceptions. The tourists already here may or may not be affected,  I don't live in a particularly "touristy" area so I frankly don't know other than what I  hear on this forum. But the perception is what will hit the bookings.  I don't think there's  anything idiotic about that suggestion. 

30 days of mourning of course will hit bookings but use the upstairs head.

.. You said if tourism ever recovers.. just a dumb thing to say. Perhaps you want to elaborate on exactly why it may never recover after 30 days.. Or did you not mean to say that?

30 days of mourning of course will hit bookings but use the upstairs head.

.. You said if tourism ever recovers.. just a dumb thing to say. Perhaps you want to elaborate on exactly why it may never recover after 30 days.. Or did you not mean to say that?

1. We don't know if it is 30 days do we? New Years celebrations and other events scheduled for well beyond the middle of November are being cancelled. Will it be 30 days or longer (up to a year?) Nobody knows - perceptions...

2. Unlike say ten years ago, there are several other countries S E Asia with developed tourist destinations. They will be pitching hard to increase their share of the market. Once they have increased that share they will do everything they can to make sure that they don't lose it. That's what the "upstairs head" suggests to me.

1. We don't know if it is 30 days do we? New Years celebrations and other events scheduled for well beyond the middle of November are being cancelled. Will it be 30 days or longer (up to a year?) Nobody knows - perceptions...

2. Unlike say ten years ago, there are several other countries S E Asia with developed tourist destinations. They will be pitching hard to increase their share of the market. Once they have increased that share they will do everything they can to make sure that they don't lose it. That's what the "upstairs head" suggests to me.

Show me the link saying new years celebrations are cancelled? The junta has stated that toned down festivities are requested for 30 days. Spreading rumors that thailand tourism "may never recover" just a week after the kings death is a low act and very risky, I hope for your sake your not posting inside thai borders

If you love Thailand you will come. The reason I came was the people. The people's Father has gone, I think everyone understands the reasons for curbs on entertainment. If you can't deal with it what else can the people do? Give the people time to mourn, the people are the country you love to holiday in.

1 hour ago, mcfish said:

Show me the link saying new years celebrations are cancelled? The junta has stated that toned down festivities are requested for 30 days. Spreading rumors that thailand tourism "may never recover" just a week after the kings death is a low act and very risky, I hope for your sake your not posting inside thai borders

Are you threatening me?

You are free  to disagree,  and argue the points I make. But to make threats against me because you don't agree is about as low as it gets. If you really don't like what I  say then I suggest you take it to the mods. They will look at the whole exchange of views, starting with your abuse - "stupid, idiotic" and finishing with threats " for your sake I hope..."

Edited by JAG