UK visa for my daughter

Ok here's the situation, I'm looking to take my daughter to the uk, I'm British by descent which means I am unable to pass my citizenship on to her so I have to get her a visa to visit the UK with me.

she has a Thai passport already and UK embassy declined a passport as I was British by descent. I'll not be taking my wife with yet.

my question, has anyone else been in a similar situation and how easy was the process? What do you need? 

Cheers

She will need to apply for a UK visit visa in the usual way.

See the pinned topic UK visit visa basics and the UKVI guidance Standard visitor visa.

As her mother is not travelling as well then I'd advise obtaining a letter of consent from her. It may be useful in the visa application and will almost certainly be needed to show Thai immigration when you leave Thailand.

Feel free to ask any further questions you may have once you've read those.

BTW, it may be possible to register her as British; see "Children born abroad to British parents – Section 3 (2) or section 3 (5) application." starting on page 8 of GUIDE MN1 Registration as a British citizen– A guide about the registration of children under 18.

If she can be registered as British then, once registered, she will of course be able to obtain a British passport.

• Like 1

Hey thanks for your reply. I've checked it out before but just wondered how easy or difficult it really is adding to the fact the wife won't be going with. 

I've also looked in to the registration and been advised it can take up to 18 months and around £2000 half to a lawyer and half for the registration (approx) again knowing if anyone has been through this it would be handy to know just what the process is and how easy or difficult it is.

10 hours ago, builderstu said:

I've also looked in to the registration and been advised it can take up to 18 months and around £2000 half to a lawyer and half for the registration (approx).

The fee for registering a child is £936. See Register as a British citizen.

I don't see the need to cough up another grand for a lawyer; but that is up to you.

I thought I would be British by descent too, as I was born in Zimbabwe (in 1960). However, I was registered as a British citizen in 1968, and this was enough to allow me to get my son (born in Thailand, mother Lao) a UK passport. Presumably the OP has checked all his options?