May ready for tough talks over Brexit

rooster59

1 hour ago, Khun Han said:

Unemployment level lowest in 10 years:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.rte.ie/amp/852795/

Sorry, a correction: unemployment, as a percentage, is at it's lowest in 40 years. And the great aspect of the current econonic growth is that it's mostly being funded by internal investment and spending, as opposed to the 'fire sale' type of foreign investment that many had predicted (foreign investment has, apparently, been much lower than expected).

• Like 1

Sensible words from David Davis so as he said he is talking to member states. obviously not listening to some TV posters from the remain side, thankfully.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/triggering-article-50-by-next-week-now-critical-zfh8m36gh

“I do my job on the basis of facts and data and research and analysis and operational planning, and off the back of that I will give answers that are accurate and that are factual — not throwaway lines in interviews,” he said.

“My general view is that this is eminently achievable because the attitude of the European states is one which will want a good long-term relationship,” he said. “From talking to member states’ foreign secretaries, finance ministers and prime ministers, there is a growing determination to get a constructive outcome. The issue is whether the member states’ voices make it through to the [European] Commission.”

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Sensible words from David Davis so as he said he is talking to member states. obviously not listening to some TV posters from the remain side, thankfully.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/triggering-article-50-by-next-week-now-critical-zfh8m36gh

“I do my job on the basis of facts and data and research and analysis and operational planning, and off the back of that I will give answers that are accurate and that are factual — not throwaway lines in interviews,” he said.

“My general view is that this is eminently achievable because the attitude of the European states is one which will want a good long-term relationship,” he said. “From talking to member states’ foreign secretaries, finance ministers and prime ministers, there is a growing determination to get a constructive outcome. The issue is whether the member states’ voices make it through to the [European] Commission.”

I presume from scrutiny committee yesterday

Interesting  exchange between Gove and David Davis

Gove:  Which are the most exciting ideas we could do outside EU we couldnt di in

Davis: I dont do exciting .I am of the view this will not be an instant fix

No answers on NI

On scotish approval of plan

Davis: we promised scotish people that not SNP

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Khun Han said:

Toyota announces big new UK investment:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-39289269

The rats are queueing up to get onboard the 'sinking ship'. Or, more likely, they know the ship's perfectly seaworthy.

Toyota is to invest £240 million in its plant in Derbyshire, but the car giant’s boss has called for continued tariff- and barrier-free access between the UK and Europe.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/toyota-to-invest-240m-in-uk-plant-with-government-support-1.3012935

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SheungWan said:

Maybe its a Nissan-style deal. Either single market or government subsidy. The article does not read blank cheque.

Did we ever get to the bottom of the Nissan deal? (That's with facts, not speculation, by the way)

While you're here, any ideas about why Sterling's rising so rapidly against the Dollar at the moment?

Edited by Khun Han

1 hour ago, Laughing Gravy said:

The constant doom and gloom from the Europhiles, luvvies and lefties are becoming monotonously boring. Constantly looking for any chance of could be, maybe, possible happen is desperation. The UK is leaving the EU. The UK wants the best deal for itself but not at the expense of the EU dictating what and when. That is the reason the UK people voted for leave. Some posters here are embarrassing themselves with their constant pessimism based on fresh air.

The chips on shoulder brigade having one of their ritual wails. Like old biddies at the bus stop. :cheesy:

• Like 1

Quite interesting from todays Times on those who voted remain and spending. so the fear mongering, we would have a financial meltdown and catastrophe seems to be like many things peddled as rubbish.

People who voted to remain in the European Union have defied conventional wisdom and gone on more of a spending spree since the referendum than those who elected to leave.

The counterintuitive behaviour was revealed in a survey which found that overall British consumers were still spending robustly and showed little sign of stopping in the short term.

Strong consumer confidence since the referendum has been the key factor in maintaining vigorous economic growth, an outcome that has wrongfooted many economists.

Paradoxically, Remainers have increased their spending by more than Leavers, despite having much more pessimistic views about the impact of Brexit on the economy and job security.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/remainer-spending-spree-leaves-economists-baffled-klbrsvldf

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

The chips on shoulder brigade having one of their ritual wails. Like old biddies at the bus stop. :cheesy:

I see the whining, it isn't fair posse are still going on and on and on about wishy, washy could be and maybe's. I won't put a laughing icon on. I would however put a pity one if it existed.  I am actually starting to feel sorry for you living in denial and fear, chin up ole bean it will be OK.:thumbsup:

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Remainers have increased their spending by more than Leavers

Maybe Remainers are being pessimistic by buying now before cost of imports and UK manufactured products go even higher in the future.

http://www.economist.com/news/britain/21715999-spending-spree-has-kept-economy-going-brexit-may-be-nearing-its-end-britains

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/06/16/why-britains-shopping-spree-will-come-at-a-cost/

12 hours ago, Khun Han said:

What beef? They've already committed, no strings (or beef) attached.

here's the full beef :smile:

Japanese carmaker Toyota (7203.T) said it plans to invest 240 million pounds to upgrade its car plant in central England for future output, but retaining tariff-free access to EU markets after Brexit remained crucial.

Toyota said last week that it could delay a decision on whether to build its next-generation Auris model in Britain to see the outcome of Brexit negotiations.

But van Zyl warned that it was important for the government to secure unfettered access to Europe for British-built car exports as part of a Brexit deal.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-eu-toyota-idUKKBN16N16T

4 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

The article I know is a paid paper to view so I didn't post it all.

Here is another snippet of it.

However, the research found little evidence that consumers overall were in any immediate hurry to cut back on spending, with most believing that Brexit would not affect them personally or that they did not know enough to make any spending changes yet.

Only 7 per cent of the 1,000 respondents said that the referendum result had already led them to cut back spending, while 20 per cent said that it had led them to increase spending either by a little or a lot. Sixty-one per cent reported no change.

7 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

I see the whining, it isn't fair posse are still going on and on and on about wishy, washy could be and maybe's. I won't put a laughing icon on. I would however put a pity one if it existed.  I am actually starting to feel sorry for you living in denial and fear, chin up ole bean it will be OK.:thumbsup:

Its just that thus far many of us agree with Kenneth Clarke,

"Apparently you follow the rabbit down the hole and emerge in a wonderland where suddenly countries throughout the world are queuing up to give us trading advantages and access to their markets that previously we've never been able to achieve.

Since Brexit the pound has fallen dramatically and according to the Chancellor Brexit has punched a 122 billion pound hole in the public finances. So I look forward to this wonderland that is going to emerge and watching the public finances recovering along with Sterling. 

9 hours ago, Khun Han said:

Did we ever get to the bottom of the Nissan deal? (That's with facts, not speculation, by the way)

While you're here, any ideas about why Sterling's rising so rapidly against the Dollar at the moment?

There was a FOI request , and the actual response I cannot recall exactly but went along on the following lines.

In considering the request a decision regarding the public interest as to be made, although there is public interest, it is considered the interest of the public not knowing outweighs the public knowing.

Here is the response

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/373758/response/943201/attach/html/5/FOI Response FOI2016 32413.pdf.html

Edited by rockingrobin
provide response link

3 minutes ago, pitrevie said:

Its just that thus far many of us agree with Kenneth Clarke,

"Apparently you follow the rabbit down the hole and emerge in a wonderland where suddenly countries throughout the world are queuing up to give us trading advantages and access to their markets that previously we've never been able to achieve.

Since Brexit the pound has fallen dramatically and according to the Chancellor Brexit has punched a 122 billion pound hole in the public finances. So I look forward to this wonderland that is going to emerge and watching the public finances recovering along with Sterling. 

Not at all but I am not a doomsday prepper locking my door and storing food and water, living in fear and desperation, waiting for nothing/something to happen. Living in Thailand and getting paid in Baht is better for me personally, however I am not a pessimist or someone who sees the glass half empty. I will stick by my statement. The UK will be OK. It was before the EU and will continue to do so.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

The article I know is a paid paper to view so I didn't post it all.

The economists in your article are "baffled."

The economists in my two references are not.

They offer a reasonable explanation for the Remainer buying phenomena regardless of whether you "buy" into it or not.

1 minute ago, Srikcir said:

The economists in your article are "baffled."

The economists in my two references are not.

They offer a reasonable explanation for the Remainer buying phenomena regardless of whether you "buy" into it or not.

So your two are better than my one. Have you thought that the Times, which was a pro remain paper are baffled because all the threats and scare mongering, are proving to be nonsense. If you can access the full article  please read it.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Not at all but I am not a doomsday prepper locking my door and storing food and water, living in fear and desperation, waiting for nothing/something to happen. Living in Thailand and getting paid in Baht is better for me personally, however I am not a pessimist or someone who sees the glass half empty. I will stick by my statement. The UK will be OK. It was before the EU and will continue to do so.

Ok before the EU are you joking, when we joined the EEC as it was then known we were known as the sick man of Europe.

Britain joined what was then the European Economic Community in 1973 as the sick man of Europe. By the late 1960s, France, West Germany and Italy — the three founder members closest in size to the UK — produced more per person than it did and the gap grew larger every year. Between 1958, when the EEC was set up, and Britain’s entry in 1973, gross domestic product per head rose 95 per cent in these three countries compared with only 50 per cent in Britain.

After becoming an EEC member, Britain slowly began to catch up. Gross domestic product per person has grown faster than Italy, Germany and France in the 42 years since. By 2013, Britain became more prosperous than the average of the three other large European economies for the first time since 1965.

I don't look into glasses to asses the future but again I will quote Clarke,  “I do believe it’s a very very bad move, particularly for our children and grandchildren, that we’re all sitting here now saying that we’re now embarking on a new unknown future,” he added.
He concluded his speech by stating that although he thought his country had made the wrong decision he wished it well. I think that sums up the views of many on the remain side, no need to look into glasses and figure out if they are half empty or half full we will watch the results unfold. 

1 hour ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Quite interesting from todays Times on those who voted remain and spending. so the fear mongering, we would have a financial meltdown and catastrophe seems to be like many things peddled as rubbish.

People who voted to remain in the European Union have defied conventional wisdom and gone on more of a spending spree since the referendum than those who elected to leave.

The counterintuitive behaviour was revealed in a survey which found that overall British consumers were still spending robustly and showed little sign of stopping in the short term.

Strong consumer confidence since the referendum has been the key factor in maintaining vigorous economic growth, an outcome that has wrongfooted many economists.

Paradoxically, Remainers have increased their spending by more than Leavers, despite having much more pessimistic views about the impact of Brexit on the economy and job security.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/remainer-spending-spree-leaves-economists-baffled-klbrsvldf

Maybe those voting remain were more content with status quo ante. Probably with more disposable income. However, spending is now slowing dramatically.

I did notice Cable putting on 1 cent yesterday following USA interest hike of just 0.25 %. Maybe the markets expected more?

Now instead of concentrating on what we remainers say, why not tell us about the glorious sunny uplands of post EU England?

Edited by Grouse

5 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Maybe those voting remain were more content with status quo ante. Probably with more disposable income. However, spending is now slowing dramatically.

I did notice Cable putting on 1 cent yesterday following USA interest hike of just 0.25 %. Maybe the market's expected more?

Now instead of concentrating on what we remainers say, why not tell us about the glorious sunny uplands of post EU England?

That was an article from the Times, not what I said.

Post EU United Kingdom you mean.

I have mentioned before what I believe life outside the EU will be. In a nutshell, pretty much the same without the EU dictating what and when we do it.

• Like 1