May ready for tough talks over Brexit

rooster59

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

That is the problem with foreigners, they simply can't speak proper English.

You have to go to India to find where it is spoken properly.

(Intended)

Does that mean that another 60 million people are entitled to become EU citizens?

There is NO EU passport in reality.

Looking at my red passport, (which is to my hand as I will need it tomorrow) it says on the front cover at the top, EUROPEAN UNION,

and below that in larger capitals it says UNITED KINGDOM OF GREAT BRITAIN AND NORTHERN IRELAND.

Inside it says

Her Britannic Majesty's Secretary of State Requests and requires in the Name of Her Majesty all those whom it may concernto allow the bearer to pass freelywithout let or hindrance,, and to afford the bearer such assistance and protection as may be necessary.

There is nothing further said about the EU, which actually is not a state or a nation on its own, but a collection of other nations loosely clumped together.

When you pass through immigration in countries other than the EU and the officer asks your nationality, do you answer EU or British, English, Scottish, Welsh or Northern Irish?

I always say English first and then British. I could say that I am from Wessex and the British stole the crown from King Arthur but that would confuse matters.

It is a bit academic Bill what it says inside the passport. The words European Union on the cover grant you certain right whether you want it or not. I have used that right 3 times now to get a Schengen visa for my wife.

"Passports issued by European Economic Area member states (the European Union, plus Iceland, Liechtenstein, and Norway) or Switzerland can be used by citizens to exercise the right of free movement within the European Economic Area and Switzerland."

You may well be a reluctant EU citizen but again it is something you have to live with for the time being.

"Article 20 (1) of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union states that: "Citizenship of the Union is hereby established. Every person holding the nationality of a Member State shall be a citizen of the Union. Citizenship of the Union shall be additional to and not replace national citizenship.""

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

"Any comparison with Thailand is just ridiculous, foreigners in Thailand come under Thai law and generally speaking have no rights."

Exactly!  Which is why its ridiculous for anyone to pretend that those who have retired to Thailand and have no access to jobs/benefits/free medical provision etc. etc. are at all similar to those who have moved from poor EU countries to the UK.

Oh the irony. Another example of British exceptionalism? The point made was simple. On here there are a group of people who voted for or supported a referendum that will exclude people from the EU from settling in the UK ... foreigners settling in another country. And they are foreigners who have settled in another country. Hypocrites.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Do not misquote me, I never said "that individuals rights are being removed by the consensus of a minority" and well you know it.

Even though they are. My rights to settle in another EU country have been stymied by this vote ... by less than 30% of the UK population ... the so called "will of the people", who know what's best for everybody. 

1 hour ago, AlexRich said:

Oh the irony. Another example of British exceptionalism? The point made was simple. On here there are a group of people who voted for or supported a referendum that will exclude people from the EU from settling in the UK ... foreigners settling in another country. And they are foreigners who have settled in another country. Hypocrites.

I couldn't agree more - and I don't often agree with you ! :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AlexRich said:

Even though they are. My rights to settle in another EU country have been stymied by this vote ... by less than 30% of the UK population ... the so called "will of the people", who know what's best for everybody. 

Let's face it -- the turnout was 72% , so  the 28% were the lazy gits who didn't vote and would easily have given a very different outcome.   Don't blame the people who made an effort to take part in democracy - blame the poor electoral system and the lack of engagement by pathetic politicians. ;) 

14 minutes ago, nauseus said:

They voted for what they thought was best for them and their country - not for you! 

Economics never factored in to anything. Without a perceived immigration problem it would never have gone through ... a vote to be poorer, not best for them or their country. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

Economics never factored in to anything. Without a perceived immigration problem it would never have gone through ... a vote to be poorer, not best for them or their country. 

Yes, the stunning EU economy! I forgot.

European Union GDP Annual Growth Rate

2 hours ago, AlexRich said:

It was 52% of the people with a vote, who bothered to vote. Anyway you still have the right to go, why not settle down in the EU now?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AlexRich said:

Any UK referendum concerns the British people and British interests. The interests of people from other EU countries was not, and should not have been a priority in deciding which way to vote. People of other nationalities can have their own referendums. 

5 minutes ago, nauseus said:

It was 52% of the people with a vote, who bothered to vote. Anyway you still have the right to go, why not settle down in the EU now?

That's exactly what I'm doing ... and I might just get away with it ... but what of the younger one's and those to come, a great deal more difficult for them I'd guess?

12 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Yes, the stunning EU economy! I forgot.

European Union GDP Annual Growth Rate

Britain wasn't so stunning before joining the EU ... and left wing policies later almost brought it to its knees ... three day week, IMF loans, constant strikes ... but the sick man of Europe recovered and performed well within the EU. And the EU is recovering ... and may well outstrip the UK in the decades to come. Trading areas go through hard times ... Asian Crisis being one example, but they tend to bounce back ... and that's the likely outcome for the EU.

Where's Sgt Rock when you need him? He was confidently predicting the imminent collapse of the EU on here ... and he put up the "facts" to prove it. Except it didn't happen ... and it's unlikely to, as it's one of the wealthiest group of countries on this planet.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

That's exactly what I'm doing ... and I might just get away with it ... but what of the younger one's and those to come, a great deal more difficult for them I'd guess?

Well good luck then. One thing I do expect is that EU people in the UK, while the UK is still a member of the EU, will be allowed to settle and work there if they want to, and that the British already in the EU will similarly be able to stay in Europe. 

Look, I visited and enjoyed the continent several times before 1973. Several of my older friends started work and settled there before the UK joined the EEC. It was not that difficult and future national governments in the EU, or not, don't have to stop everybody doing it.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Johnyo said:

https://order-order.com/2016/07/02/read-full-article-pulled-telegraph-pressure-may-campaign/

Useless as Home Secretary and will be useless as PM.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Last night I watched the Question Time special with the 2 main leaders. She looked very nervous and a bit pathetic, maybe something to do with not having been briefed on the questions, none of which she wanted to answer directly.

Corbyn gave some good answers but was also a bit evasive at times particularly when asked about a hung parliament and Trident. I just do not see him as an international diplomat.

Its not something I would normally advocate but the only reasonable solution I can see this week would be a hung parliament and they end up with a cross party negotiating team for brexit. Of course when it comes to politics, reason is the last thing that comes into play.

14 hours ago, nauseus said:
16 hours ago, AlexRich said:

Britain wasn't so stunning before joining the EU ... and left wing policies later almost brought it to its knees ... three day week, IMF loans, constant strikes ... but the sick man of Europe recovered and performed well within the EU. And the EU is recovering ... and may well outstrip the UK in the decades to come. Trading areas go through hard times ... Asian Crisis being one example, but they tend to bounce back ... and that's the likely outcome for the EU.

Where's Sgt Rock when you need him? He was confidently predicting the imminent collapse of the EU on here ... and he put up the "facts" to prove it. Except it didn't happen ... and it's unlikely to, as it's one of the wealthiest group of countries on this planet.

I don't really have any desire for the UK or the EU to fail in any way. But it is far too early. We will have to wait and see.

I put the blowhard you're responding to on ignore a while ago, but weathiest group of countries??? Spain? Portugal?

Greece? Etc? Etc? Can Germany, The Netherlands and France fund this globalist dream without the UK and without going into recession? Their absurd, bullying attempts to extort astronomical sums of money from us, and their plan B of a two tier EU tell us that, on their current course, they are insolvent.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

I put the blowhard you're responding to on ignore a while ago, but weathiest group of countries??? Spain? Portugal?

Greece? Etc? Etc? Can Germany, The Netherlands and France fund this globalist dream without the UK and without going into recession? Their absurd, bullying attempts to extort astronomical sums of money from us, and their plan B of a two tier EU tell us that, on their current course, they are insolvent.

Yeah you have quite a few people on your ignore list then you complain that none of the remainers aren't answering the points you raise. Apparently asking you for evidence or links to support your many ridiculous assertions is a "debating trick" . Try posting without a mention of Germany in your post.

"Globalist dream" what on earth is that?

15 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

I thought I was on that "ignore list"? ... a pointless tool for a debating forum, unless you're being constantly abused, which seldom happens on here.

Anyway, to the point. The collective funds of the EU are more than sufficient to cover the debts, there's just a reluctance to do so. Greece needs to have its debt slashed as it can never pay and Italy will at some point need to inject money into its Banks ... and once the elections are over this year you might just see some movement on these points. As for their budget, they will just have to shelve some future projects and cut according to their cloth.

My issue with the points on here from you and some others is the idea that all of this is somehow impossible, and the only possible outcome is a wholesale collapse of the EU ... it never seems to cross your mind that a future economic tailwind is possible or acknowledge that the EU economy is actually picking up some steam.

3 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

I can't see posts by 'Alex Rich' or 'Pitrevie' unless they're quoted, but they seem to post in tandem. Does anyone know if they are conjoined twins?

So how do you know if I posted in tandem with AR when he was responding to you and I was also responding to you?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

I can't see posts by 'Alex Rich' or 'Pitrevie' unless they're quoted, but they seem to post in tandem. Does anyone know if they are conjoined twins?

Just now, pitrevie said:

So how do you know if I posted in tandem with AR when he was responding to you and I was also responding to you?

There's a neurological phenomenon called blindsight. People who suffer from it can actually see but don't know that they are seeing. So they can avoid obstacles without being aware that they are seeing them.  I think Khun Han may be suffering from said affliction.

• Like 1

Just now, ilostmypassword said:
7 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

2 minutes ago, pitrevie said:

There's a neurological phenomenon called blindsight. People who suffer from it can actually see but don't know that they are seeing. So they can avoid obstacles without being aware that they are seeing them.  I think Khun Han may be suffering from said affliction.

"You've chosen to ignore posts by pitrevie. options"

followed by

"You've chosen to ignore posts by AlexRich. options"

More intellectual dishonesty by the remain crowd exposed :coffee1:.

2 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

"You've chosen to ignore posts by pitrevie. options"

followed by

"You've chosen to ignore posts by AlexRich. options"

More intellectual dishonesty by the remain crowd exposed :coffee1:.

"You've chose to ignore posts by khunhan. options"

I guess once I post this, I won't be able to see your postings anymore. Magic!

18 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

"You've chose to ignore posts by khunhan. options"

I guess once I post this, I won't be able to see your postings anymore. Magic!

Sorry, what are you trying to say? Are you calling me a liar?

The question here is will anyone take any notice. I suspect the EU will be prepared to weather the storm to take control of the Euro.

A global financial trade body has said it has “grave concerns” over EU plans to force the relocation of the €930bn (£810bn) per day clearing business from London to the EU after Brexit.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/brexit-clearing-business-uk-eu-city-london-business-warning-latest-news-updates-a7775856.html