May ready for tough talks over Brexit

rooster59

4 hours ago, rockingrobin said:

Using expressions like "They may not know it yet but they will want another vote." 

The same sentiments expressed by the anti EU membership campaign on the 1975 referendum night, 

well it took 40 odd years!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vogie said:

Britain was taken into europe illegally.

http://www.vernoncoleman.com/euillegally.html

Not impressed.

I noted this though;

"Is there any hope that Parliament will repeal the 1972 European Communities Act and restore sovereignty to the people? Not in the immediate future.

But the errors made by Heath and Wilson mean that when we want to leave the EU it will be very easy.

Because, officially, we never joined.

An independent British Parliament would simply have to pass one short Act of Parliament and give notice to the EU and we would be out of this accursed club. "

Seems Brexit is no sweat at all.

Just now, melvinmelvin said:

Not impressed.

I noted this though;

"Is there any hope that Parliament will repeal the 1972 European Communities Act and restore sovereignty to the people? Not in the immediate future.

But the errors made by Heath and Wilson mean that when we want to leave the EU it will be very easy.

Because, officially, we never joined.

An independent British Parliament would simply have to pass one short Act of Parliament and give notice to the EU and we would be out of this accursed club. "

Seems Brexit is no sweat at all.

The Great Repeal Bill will repeal the 1972 European Communities Act and it is already planned to be enacted as and when we leave the EU.

1 minute ago, rockingrobin said:

1983 general election, Labour commited to withdraw

Would hardly call that an opportunity for the people.

Vote for me/us and this and that will happen/take place.

(where I come from this is commonly called election lard)

3 minutes ago, rockingrobin said:

1983 general election, Labour commited to withdraw

Oh Gourd, Labour really had a great chance of winning that election, eh? This was still before the EU rose out of Maastricht anyway.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rockingrobin said:

Thank you

So as you state , things change, people change their minds

re mid 70s and changes

mid 70s, it was about that time I attended university in Scotland (don't remember which years exactly)

as far as I remember SNP had quite good traction with the Scots at the University, (not so much with students from NI and England though)

at that time the SNPers (and NIers and those from across the border as well) were rather strongly opposed to the EEC

sure, things and people change

5 hours ago, rockingrobin said:

It was the consevative party that took the UK into to EEC

From their 1970 manifesto

If we can negotiate the right terms, we believe that it would be in the long-term interest of the British people for Britain to join the European Economic Community, and that it would make a major contribution to both the prosperity and the security of our country. The opportunities are immense. Economic growth and a higher standard of living would result from having a larger market.

They were correct; it has worked very well! ?

25 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Great post! Thanks!

Everything was clear at the time IMO. I guess there were fewer numpties per square foot in those days ?

Certainly it was not clear to most. The EEC was put simply as a common market and I would guess that you know that.

No internet and most people would not watch this stuff even if they had a TV. Few people chose to heed Powell after the 1968 blood speech. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Certainly it was not clear to most. The EEC was put simply as a common market and I would guess that you know that.

No internet and most people would not watch this stuff even if they had a TV. Few people chose to heed Powell after the 1968 blood speech. 

Why keep up this facade, 

The government in 1975 sent a leaflet to every home ,

There was a threat to employment in Britain from the movement in the Common Market towards an Economic & Monetary Union. This could have forced us to accept fixed exchange rates for the pound, restricting industrial growth and putting jobs at risk. This threat has been removed.

And on sovereignty

Since we cannot go it alone in the modern world, Britain has for years been a member of international groupings like the United Nations, NATO and the International Monetary Fund.

Membership of such groupings imposes both rights and duties, but has not deprived us of our national identity, or changed our way of life.

Membership of the Common Market also imposes new rights and duties on Britain, but does not deprive us of our national identity. To say that membership could force Britain to eat Euro-bread or drink Euro-beer is nonsense.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, nauseus said:

The Great Repeal Bill will repeal the 1972 European Communities Act and it is already planned to be enacted as and when we leave the EU.

Returning powers to the executive NOT the legislature I fear.

Im Henery the Eighth I am!

Edited by Grouse

6 minutes ago, rockingrobin said:

Why keep up this facade, 

The government in 1975 sent a leaflet to every home ,

There was a threat to employment in Britain from the movement in the Common Market towards an Economic & Monetary Union. This could have forced us to accept fixed exchange rates for the pound, restricting industrial growth and putting jobs at risk. This threat has been removed.

And on sovereignty

Since we cannot go it alone in the modern world, Britain has for years been a member of international groupings like the United Nations, NATO and the International Monetary Fund.

Membership of such groupings imposes both rights and duties, but has not deprived us of our national identity, or changed our way of life.

Membership of the Common Market also imposes new rights and duties on Britain, but does not deprive us of our national identity. To say that membership could force Britain to eat Euro-bread or drink Euro-beer is nonsense.

No facade. I have seen this leaflet which was also nonsense and lies. The truth about sovereignty and the ultimate European federal ideal was well hidden in the Treaty of Rome. Euro  beer buurp.

Read all this topic from post No1 and then post something new.

40 minutes ago, Grouse said:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-latest-theresa-may-food-standards-weakened-post-trade-deal-us-chlorine-soaked-chicken-liam-a7857036.html

Now this IS an issue

Allowing USA animal products in is a serious worry.

Animal cruelty, husbandry, hygiene, pharma....

No thanks.

What do Brexiters think?

We should wash the chukkies ourselves in good old UK Cl infested tap water.

7 hours ago, nauseus said:

I don't think so. Reference needed.

Do you see anything you like here?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/11673377/Enoch-Powell-and-Tony-Benn-were-right-on-Europe-it-was-a-great-deception.html

Or here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usJUMOlpE24

Or even here?

http://www.ukipdaily.com/enoch-powell-european-union/

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nauseus said:

We should wash the chukkies ourselves in good old UK Cl infested tap water.

Really is worth looking into this.

On top of that, Gove ( he's still a bit odd) is shafting the farmers AND ignoring the fact that ag and fish are devolved. DEFRA is for England.

Not all Brexiters are numpties; some are crafty, scheming bastards. Be careful!

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/liam-fox-chickens-chlorine-soaked-britain-brexit-eu-ban-trade-seccretary-us-farmers-free-trade-a7857661.html

I  don't like this at all.

Edited by Grouse