May ready for tough talks over Brexit

rooster59

1 hour ago, Flustered said:

What we do have is the best of what is available.

The alternatives are too bad to even think about..

Until such time as the Revolution comes, we are stuck with the best of a bad bunch. Mind you, TM is doing a sterling job, hasn't put a foot wrong so far, it's just her backing group that are out of sync.

Hasn't put a foot wrong?

Winter fuel ?

Alzheimers care costs?

Pensions?

NI?

Slashing corporation tax?

Sticking with unworkable immigration targets?

Personally, I would not like to see her with a huge majority. I just don't trust her

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nauseus said:

Of course the rise in UK debt had nothing at all to do with the 2008 financial crisis! Spare us the numptynomics, please.

Obviously the word "add" was a bit beyond your comprehension.

2 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Hasn't put a foot wrong?

Winter fuel ?

Alzheimers care costs?

Pensions?

NI?

Slashing corporation tax?

Sticking with unworkable immigration targets?

Personally, I would not like to see her with a huge majority. I just don't trust her

Last sentence hits the nail on the head.

4 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Last sentence hits the nail on the head.

OK, give us all a laugh...What's the alternative,

Jeremy Corbyn, Nicola Sturgeon or Tim Farron. or perhaps you fancy the Green Caroline Lucas?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Not ridiculous at all. Why would you need a week to come home. Most would do it in less than a day. If I am naïve in your eyes well fine . I won't lose any sleep about it. If people don't vote then they can't complain. Simple as that. You have a choice. Mrs. May has made it clear that this election is about Brexit. So if the people don't want it then don't vote for her. Again simple. Partying because you won an award, degree or whatever shouldn't be an excuse for not having your democratic say whatever it is. if that's naïve well great. You can get from one end of the country in no time now. Horse and carriage has been unpopular for a while now as a means of transport.

You think students have limitless wealth? 

You think the average 18-21 year old would prioritise going home to vote over hanging out at Uni? You once said you had several degrees? Which university were you at? No balls? No fun? Halcyon days indeed!

You think the Con Party don't know this? It's cynical I tell you.

In my day, at this time of year, the done thing was to be seen rolling up at breakfast still in your dinner jacket from from the night before with bow tie akimbo!

Go home a week early???

Edited by Grouse

7 minutes ago, Grouse said:

You think students have limitless wealth? 

You think the average 18-21 year old would prioritise going home to vote over hanging out at Uni? You once said you had several degrees? Which university were you at? No balls? No fun? Halcyon days indeed!

You think the Con Party don't know this? It's cynical I tell you.

No I said I had 3 . One Undergraduate and two postgraduate degrees. Friends had several. No I wasn't the rich privileged kid who relied on my parents to pay for university. I also knew the importance of voting at 18, knowing my ancestors fought hard for that privilege. University isn't about fun and partying. If the students can't be bothered to vote because they are having a good time, then I will stick by my statement, they don't deserve one or don't complain about the result.  As it was pointed out students can vote by proxy or mail. I sent mine to the UK today.

Edited by Laughing Gravy
multi tasking doing 3 things at once.
  • Like 2

As I said, backing group out of sync.

What Labour failed to do in all of their terms of office and different Home Secretaries, TM managed. The extradition of that radical preacher whose name is not even worth mentioning.

You mean like getting rid of 20,000 police? Great money saving tactic. I'll bet she's great with housekeeping. 

4 minutes ago, Flustered said:

Jeremy Corbyn, Nicola Sturgeon or Tim Farron. or perhaps you fancy the Green Caroline Lucas?

Why do you continually try and take a post in a different direction.

Its quite simple I agree with Grouse " I would not like to see her with a huge majority. "  because I do not trust her either.  There is little doubt she will win and at this particular point in time I believe it may well be beneficial to have a minority government.

56 minutes ago, Flustered said:

As usual you revert to using words such as "outlandish" in the hope I cannot link the article.

If only you had looked at the document before making a fool of yourself.

I accept your apologies.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2006/15/pdfs/ukpga_20060015_en.pdf

(5) In this Act “registrable fact”, in relation to an individual, means— (a) his identity; (b) the address of his principal place of residence in the United Kingdom; (c) the address of every other place in the United Kingdom or elsewhere where he has a place of residence; (d) where in the United Kingdom and elsewhere he has previously been resident; (e) the times at which he was resident at different places in the United Kingdom or elsewhere; (f) his current residential status; (g) residential statuses previously held by him; (h) information about numbers allocated to him for identification purposes and about the documents to which they relate; (i) information about occasions on which information recorded about him in the Register has been provided to any person; and (j) information recorded in the Register at his request.

Yes its a registerable fact nowhere does it say that it would be required along with every other so called registerable fact. I doubt that any individual could provide even a fraction of the so called registerable facts. However what they would have expected is current residences. I have lived in multiple locations and it is impossible for me now to recall other than their general location, name of town, not a chance of providing the specific address and neither is it required.

So once again try reading the document and not making outlandish claims.

As usual you revert to using words such as "outlandish" in the hope I cannot link the article.

If only you had looked at the document before making a fool of yourself.

I accept your apologies.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2006/15/pdfs/ukpga_20060015_en.pdf

(5) In this Act “registrable fact”, in relation to an individual, means— (a) his identity; (b) the address of his principal place of residence in the United Kingdom; (c) the address of every other place in the United Kingdom or elsewhere where he has a place of residence; (d) where in the United Kingdom and elsewhere he has previously been resident; (e) the times at which he was resident at different places in the United Kingdom or elsewhere; (f) his current residential status; (g) residential statuses previously held by him; (h) information about numbers allocated to him for identification purposes and about the documents to which they relate; (i) information about occasions on which information recorded about him in the Register has been provided to any person; and (j) information recorded in the Register at his request.

I'm 100% against this kind of police state stuff. I will never agree to carry an ID card or a chip implant. Thank you

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Why do you continually try and take a post in a different direction.

Its quite simple I agree with Grouse " I would not like to see her with a huge majority. "  because I do not trust her either.  There is little doubt she will win and at this particular point in time I believe it may well be beneficial to have a minority government.

Not a different direction, a fair question.

Constant comments from FMs about not wanting TM as a PM must mean there is an alternative so it's a fair question.

If you all want TM out, who do you want in?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Flustered said:

The alternative is to keep them on the straight and narrow by giving a small majority if not a coalition.

I certainly can't abide Abbott and Corbyn is just a flake who means well.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Flustered said:

Not a different direction, a fair question.

Constant comments from FMs about not wanting TM as a PM must mean there is an alternative so it's a fair question.

If you all want TM out, who do you want in?

It is a different direction, you took a supportive comment I made and used it to ask a question that had nothing to do with the conservative majority. This is how topics get distorted.

7 minutes ago, Grouse said:

I'm 100% against this kind of police state stuff. I will never agree to carry an ID card or a chip implant. Thank you

Every time I walk into my bank here and want to transfer from one book to another I have to produce my passport and I have been doing this in the same bank for 10 years. They have copied my passport umpteen times.

I once got stuck behind a woman in the UK was was withdrawing a large sum of money and was asked for some ID. Needless to say whatever document was mentioned she did not have it but expected the teller to hand over the money without any further ID. I envy these people who are able to carry a credit card size ID in their wallet. I retain my UK driving licence because it serves as a form of ID when I am in the UK and I either have to do some banking or need to pick up a parcel at the post office. As I mentioned earlier it was something from my early twenties until I retired that I got used to having on account of the type of employment I was in. 

I thought that Brexiters would have been in favour, so quite surprised to find one that isn't given his views on the NHS, immigration etc. 

32 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

No I said I had 3 . One Undergraduate and two postgraduate degrees. Friends had several. No I wasn't the rich privileged kid who relied on my parents to pay for university. I also knew the importance of voting at 18, knowing my ancestors fought hard for that privilege. University isn't about fun and partying. If the students can't be bothered to vote because they are having a good time, then I will stick by my statement, they don't deserve one or don't complain about the result.  As it was pointed out students can vote by proxy or mail. I sent mine to the UK today.

You old curmudgeon, you!

If you sent your postal vote today you're too late. Proxy by email is OK.

Now then, what years were you reading your undergraduate degree? I'll bet it was fully funded and, if your parents weren't so well off, you would have got a full maintenance grant. You sure all your ducks are in a row here?

Now here's something that will probably make you apoplectic: One goes up to University (a proper one) to get an education NOT just a vocational qualification ?

Heres one for you!

And finally:

http://www.citizenshipfoundation.org.uk/main/page.php?82

I see the voting age was lowered to 18 in 1970. Which war did your ancestors fight to win that privilege?

Come on, lighten up!

Edited by Grouse

What we do have is the best of what is available.

The alternatives are too bad to even think about..

Until such time as the Revolution comes, we are stuck with the best of a bad bunch. Mind you, TM is doing a sterling job, hasn't put a foot wrong so far, it's just her backing group that are out of sync.

May hasn't put a foot wrong? ... apart from the budget NI u-turn, the dementia tax fiasco, the "no election" to "we're having an election" u-turn ... not to mention falling back in the polls against Jeremy Corbyn of all people!! She's proving to be a control-freak with less ability than she's given credit for. Love or loathe him, Blair was a more capable politician.

• Like 1

Just now, AlexRich said:

May hasn't put a foot wrong? ... apart from the budget NI u-turn, the dementia tax fiasco, the "no election" to "we're having an election" u-turn ... not to mention falling back in the polls against Jeremy Corbyn of all people!! She's proving to be a control-freak with less ability than she's given credit for. Love or loathe him, Blair was a more capable politician.

You are posting on the wrong thread. there is a thread for jokes elsewhere on this forum.

• Like 1

Some seem to be caught up in some ideology that if you do not agree with something there has to be a better alternative. That is not true, in many cases it is very often a question of the lesser of two evils, the UK government versus the EU is a classic example.

There is also a tendency for confusion between political parties and leaders, one is determined by the UK electorate and the other is of their own making. I think it has been shown that Labour shot themselves in the foot at the last leadership election.

With no real credible leader in the running all we can hope for is an outcome that will require cross party co-operation to try and resolve the mess.

55 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Obviously the word "add" was a bit beyond your comprehension.

2 hours ago, pitrevie said:

And the facts are that debt has increased under the Tories.

Even adjusted for inflation, public sector net debt rose £450 billion between 2010/11 and 2015/16, according to the Office for Budget Responsibility.

The government set deficit targets in 2010 (which it didn’t meet) and in 2015 (which it abandoned), Full Fact explain.
As a result, UK government debt has continued to rise.

And the solution to that is "withdraw from the EU", yep that should solve things.

And they are quite prepared to add the unknown cost of the withdrawal to the national debt. Not looking good for the younger generation.

Your post was a follow-on, agreeing with Pitrevie's assertion that the debt has increased due to the Tories. Well the primary reason that the UK debt increased, like it did in may countries, was the 2008 financial crisis. The Tories actually reduced borrowing during the aftermath but the damage was done.

AND if the cost of Brexit is unknown how can you ADD it anyway? Duh

1 minute ago, Grouse said:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ulsFONO-qZg

The Hokey Cokey is the new Con Party theme tune

2 minutes ago, Grouse said:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ulsFONO-qZg

The Hokey Cokey is the new Con Party theme tune

I'm not sure they'd use that cartoon ... too multi-cultural for our Brexit brothers ... that's not what they voted for! :smile:

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Some seem to be caught up in some ideology that if you do not agree with something there has to be a better alternative. That is not true, in many cases it is very often a question of the lesser of two evils, the UK government versus the EU is a classic example.

There is also a tendency for confusion between political parties and leaders, one is determined by the UK electorate and the other is of their own making. I think it has been shown that Labour shot themselves in the foot at the last leadership election.

With no real credible leader in the running all we can hope for is an outcome that will require cross party co-operation to try and resolve the mess.

So no deal is better than a bad deal after all?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nauseus said:

So no deal is better than a bad deal after all?

The only deal on offer is no deal ... that phrase was coined to manage your expectations as the Government now know clearly that there is no access to the single market on the same terms without free movement of EU citizens. It seems the EU was not bluffing? 

1 hour ago, AlexRich said:

The only deal on offer is no deal ... that phrase was coined to manage your expectations as the Government now know clearly that there is no access to the single market on the same terms without free movement of EU citizens. It seems the EU was not bluffing? 

Any EU government must have always been aware of the single market rules since joining. What bluff?     

54 minutes ago, jpinx said:

Nicely highlighted Sandy -- Indeed this is a Hobson's choice.  Neither Westminster nor Brussels inspire any kind of confidence, not only because of the party political system involved, but perhaps the inability of the supposed leaders to actually lead by example.   There is no "good" outcome to this situation -- not in the general election nor in brexit.  The best is going to be more of similarly flavoured policies from westminster, and brexit running up against it's expiry date, when the pressures of the commercial and financial worlds will force both sides to glue something together that will be least hurtful.  There will not be any winners..........

Why would the financial interests of the world exert equal pressure on both sides of the negotiations? There seems to be some kind of subconscious assumption lurking in the minds of Brexiters that the British Empire is still extant.

2 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

Why would the financial interests of the world exert equal pressure on both sides of the negotiations? There seems to be some kind of subconscious assumption lurking in the minds of Brexiters that the British Empire is still extant.

No allusions. Extant or not! 

40 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Any EU government must have always been aware of the single market rules since joining. What bluff?     

Cast your mind back to the reassurances that were made by the likes of Boris Johnson ... this was the classic they need us more than we need them argument ... Prosseco and German cars. Of course we'll still access the single market was the cry! 

Several Brexiteers on here made similar remarks. And it was all pure and utter tosh.