May ready for tough talks over Brexit

rooster59

28 minutes ago, Naam said:

if you would use 15 minutes of research what percentages of German cars, French wine, Belgian beers are exported to the UK you would refrain from making ridiculous statements.

The UK is, I think, Germany's second biggest export market for cars? Oh well, they can make up any defecit by selling to bongobongo land, surely?

And you only have to look at the trade balances between certain EU countries and the UK to work out who the big losers are going to be. Does the EU have a trade agreement with bongobongo land?

2 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

But it's not as simple as that, is it? The EU is still a collection of individual states, and some of those states are going to be hit very hard by any poor brexit trade agreement.

I can see Ireland being hit hard. But what other states would those be? The poorer nations.  Of course, if the UK agrees to the free movement of people, as Norway, Iceland, Switzerland and some other nation have done, then most likely there wouldn't be much harm done to any of those nations. But that would vitiate the point of Brexit for most Brexit supporters. And anything short of that wouldn't be much help to those nations. 

24 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

One of the 2 parties will be a lot more affected than the other. All you need to work that out is competency in arithmetic.

Overall yes, you are probably right. But that is on an EU v UK overall basis. Individual countries in the EU will be affected far more than some others. Some of these countries that will be mostly affected negatively from brexit are the biggest contributers.  Do you think these big players are not going to have influence on junker and co in Brussels as the negotiations progress? Especially  if they're going to take a bigger hit than the smaller members who are still not contributing? 

I don't think so. 

Edited by goldenbrwn1
  • Like 1

Just now, goldenbrwn1 said:

Overall yes, you are probably right. But that is on an EU v UK overall basis. Individual countries in the EU will be affected far more than some others. Some of these countries that will be mostly affected negatively from brexit are the biggest contributers.  Do you think these big players are not going to have influence on junker and co in Brussels as the negotiations progress if they're going to take a bigger hit than the smaller members who are still not contributing? 

I don't think so. 

Who are these biggest contributors who will be mostly affected?

If the UK is barred from trading with the EU, ....the UK will still buy all the same EU products that is does today via grey imports, the only difference will be is that everything will be more expensive.

If you think the British are going to stop buying German cars, drinking French wine & Belgium beers just because they cant purchase directly from the countries of production then you have another thing coming !!! ....of course, all this is reliant on the British being able to afford to buy these products after the pound goes into freefall due to the UK barring itself from exporting to the wealthiest market on the planet.

Edited by onthesoi
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

Who are these biggest contributors who will be mostly affected?

Wait and see . We just don't know . Tbh I don't think we ever will. They won't let it get that far. Climb downs from both sides, a loss of face for some (not that that ever bothered farrangs) and then hopefully everyone's a winner ? ...well...sort of.

Edited by goldenbrwn1

2 minutes ago, onthesoi said:

If the UK is barred from trading with the EU, ....the UK will still buy all the same EU products that is does today via grey imports, the only difference will be is that everything will be more expensive.

If you think the British are going to stop buying German cars, drinking French wine & Belgium beers just because they cant purchase directly from the countries of production then you have another thing coming !!! ....of course, all this is reliant on the British being able to afford to buy these products after the pound goes into freefall due to the UK barring itself from exporting to the wealthiest market on the planet.

The UK will be able to buy products from the EU without resorting to a gray market. There will just be tariffs to pay. And under WTO rules, the tariffs mostly won't be high. What will be hurt is manufacturing that depends on multiple supply chains. And the financial industry.

3 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

The UK will be able to buy products from the EU without resorting to a gray market. There will just be tariffs to pay. And under WTO rules, the tariffs mostly won't be high. What will be hurt is manufacturing that depends on multiple supply chains. And the financial industry.

What does the WTO rules have to say about the UK walking away from their legally contracted financial obligations? ...Hmmmn!

In the unlikely scenario there was tariffs, they would be high, so the UK would be effectively paying back what they owe anyway.

Edited by onthesoi

4 minutes ago, onthesoi said:

As far as I know nobody has ever hinted at UK being barred from trading with EU.

UK will just be a 3rd part trader if there is no trade agreement.

No, no grey market. Purchase directly from EU producers or sellers.

And of course, as for exports, nobody has ever suggested UK be barred from exporting to EU countries.

• Like 1

Just now, melvinmelvin said:

As far as I know nobody has ever hinted at UK being barred from trading with EU.

UK will just be a 3rd part trader if there is no trade agreement.

No, no grey market. Purchase directly from EU producers or sellers.

And of course, as for exports, nobody has ever suggested UK be barred from exporting to EU countries.

Right, so the EU are just going to allow the UK to walk away from their debt, no deal struck  ...but everything will continue as normal?

I'm guessing you voted Brexit?

2 minutes ago, onthesoi said:

What does the WTO rules have to say about the UK walking away from their legally contracted financial obligations? ...Hmmmn!

In the unlikely scenario there was tariffs, they would be high, so the UK would be effectively paying back what they owe anyway.

OMC addresses trade issues, not financial obligations between IGOs and their members.

3 minutes ago, onthesoi said:

Right, so the EU are just going to allow the UK to walk away from their debt, no deal struck  ...but everything will continue as normal?

I'm guessing you voted Brexit?

you are free to guess whatever you fancy, enjoy

continue as normal yes, but not under the same conditions

of course UK will be able to purchase from EU manufacturers and also export to EU member states,

but there will be fees to be paid, import duties - value added tax etc,

whether to add import duty and VAT to import to UK is really up to UK.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, goldenbrwn1 said:

So what are you saying? That the EU doesn't care about any loss of trade with UK? That it's just nothing this brexit to them? That one of the biggest contributers is leaving is really no big deal  and the UK hardly spends bu##er all on stuff from the EU? Really?   

Im a remain voter but after a few months of painful acceptance, I am over it.  I Just hope the UK and EU get on with it and cool heads prevail in the end. But I'm just as fed up with  ' the EU is not effected by this 'rhetoric and 'the UK is finished and will pay the consequences' as I am with the UK ' will become great again, and rule Britannia blah blah blah ' 

Both the EU and the UK will be affected. By how much is entirely up to them both.

From my contacts, the UK are valued but too much of a pain in the arse. The EU  will happily haul up the drawbridge. If UK wants Merc, Porsche, BMW fine. Just pay more.

There has not been any attempt to describe the situation post-brexit if UK car distributors want to sell Mercedes cars.  What will the invoice include?  What import duty?  What VAT?  Everyone is huffing and puffing about the rights and wrongs of something that no-one has actually defined.  Selling post-brexit UK's produce to EU countries will incur what duty and taxes to the buyers in France, Greece, etc?  If the WTO rules apply - what is their baseline for tariffs in that situation?

20 minutes ago, Grouse said:

From my contacts, the UK are valued but too much of a pain in the arse. The EU  will happily haul up the drawbridge. If UK wants Merc, Porsche, BMW fine. Just pay more.

'From my contacts' ? ??? . Oh come on mate give it a rest. 

Edited by goldenbrwn1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, goldenbrwn1 said:

'From my contacts' ? ??? oh come on fcs.

No, that's what my friends and collegues are saying. We are so aggravating, we outweigh our usefulness. Honestly. That's what I hear from professional people in other EU countries....

45 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

you are free to guess whatever you fancy, enjoy

continue as normal yes, but not under the same conditions

of course UK will be able to purchase from EU manufacturers and also export to EU member states,

but there will be fees to be paid, import duties - value added tax etc,

whether to add import duty and VAT to import to UK is really up to UK.

As long as what they do is consistent with  WTO rules

1 minute ago, Grouse said:

No, that's what my friends and collegues are saying. We are so aggravating, we outweigh our usefulness. Honestly. That's what I hear from professional people in other EU countries....

So we were never really wanted anyway......?????.........<deleted>## em!!! Ruuule Britannia! Britannia rule the ........??

Nobody is going to be walking away from anything right now. The suggestion here is just a continuing fantasy from the forum hard brexiteers who are trying to drown out the awful (for them) election result. Playground yah-boo politics because they have nothing more to say. Remember, it was only a few days ago that half of them were publicly giving up and throwing Theresa May under the bus. So what's suddenly changed? Nothing.

• Like 2

Watching Daniel Hannan on the Daily Politics show was great.

He destroyed every argument put forward by the other guests (pro EU) and also Jo Coburn. He just left them sitting there not knowing what to say. All the rubbish put forward by the remainers about an increase in hate crime....shot down in flames and disproved.

What an articulate well researched man he is. What a pity he is not an MP rather than an MEP.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Flustered said:

Watching Daniel Hannan on the Daily Politics show was great.

He destroyed every argument put forward by the other guests (pro EU) and also Jo Coburn. He just left them sitting there not knowing what to say. All the rubbish put forward by the remainers about an increase in hate crime....shot down in flames and disproved.

What an articulate well researched man he is. What a pity he is not an MP rather than an MEP.

Daniel Hannan. History of wanting to get into bed with UKIP and fan of lunatic US politician Ron Paul. Superstar!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SheungWan said:

Daniel Hannan. History of wanting to get into bed with UKIP and fan of lunatic US politician Ron Paul. Superstar!

Great contribution again Starwman. You must really have to do a lot of research to come up with such interesting and informative posts.