May ready for tough talks over Brexit

rooster59

4 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

You mean the Cameron who backed savage cuts in social spending and big tax cuts for the rich? Given his comments, that seems dubious.

What's has that to with my post, a strange reply, but yes, that is the same Cameron I was refering to.

17 hours ago, jpinx said:

"........ Despite admitting the UK stands completely free to reach out to its economic partners, Ms Malmström said starting any form of trade negotiations would be crossing a red line. ......"

Talk of crossing red lines is an ultimatum, but when associated with a phrase like "... a little bit..."  it just emphasises the duplicity of the politicial language used.  The eurocrats need to be put in their place -- they are not in control of who UK talks to about what -- only that UK can not finalise and sign any deals on trade until brexit-day is past.   Meantime, all the negotiating can be done and details pencilled in.  The mere fact that the EU is bringing this up shows that they are worried about UK cutting some good deals on trade, just waiting for a signature on brexit-day. 

"Talk of crossing red lines is an ultimatum,"  - A standard phrase in the Teresa May rhetoric.

It is a bit far fetched to think that the UK is going to walk out of 40 trade agreements one day and into 40 new ones the next. The EU may be concerned about their budget but it is very unlikely they are "worried" about anything, neither is the UK, they have their heads in the clouds.

18 hours ago, nontabury said:

It must be distressing for you, to be ALWAYS reading negative articles.

Too old to get distressed about anything and as always another negative article.

"Investor fear and the prospect of a Jeremy Corbyn premiership means Brexit might never actually happen, political sources have claimed. "

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-latest-news-leave-eu-uk-will-happen-european-union-a7826596.html

• Like 1

The politicians may not understand the full implications of brexit but the voters did, or so we have been told.

However I think that Mr Barnier is wrong on this one, they know what they are doing. Come the day of reckoning they must be held to account and cannot shrug it off as a misunderstanding.

"Mr Barnier said that the full implications of leaving the EU appeared not to have been “fully understood” by British politicians."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/eu-chief-negotiator-michel-barnier-uk-single-market-trade-brexit-european-union-theresa-may-borders-a7826506.html

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mommysboy said:

They may do their best.

I very much doubt they will do the best.

Somewhat naive posting imo.

So if someone doesn't accept it then they don't love their country?

I was speaking from a personal point , I didn't mean to suggest you didn't. I was just trying to explain my journey from not accepting the referendum result and the anger and even hatred at times I had for it.  It was really stressing me out and I would only accept headlines and stories from 'the Guardian' ; 'Independent'  ect ( which fitted in with my narrow view of brexit at the time).  Now I have a more balanced outlook and read most news stories from iether side of the fence and the few that are actually non biased.  Now I am quite optimistic on the bigger picture for the UK in the medium to long term.  Obviously the short term is full of uncertainty after this monumental decision but that's par for the course. We will get it right......in the end. ??

Edited by goldenbrwn1

53 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

Well, why then did you think he would be applauding Cameron?

Because he is blaming Cameron for letting the plebs have the democratic right to vote on a subject that didn't go his way. If however the people that live in the gutter had not been allowed to vote and only intelligent toffs had had that privilege he would be probably be looking at Cameron in a different light. Is it so difficult?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

I'm British but not your British. Sorry mate but your comment is a fine example of why David Cameron needs lining up and shooting for ever letting you have a hand on the tiller.

:laugh: :biggrin:  sorry bit of a troll wind up,  it's just so many are or seem so serious on the brexit talks and none of em can do anything about it. :biggrin:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, goldenbrwn1 said:

I was speaking from a personal point , I didn't mean to suggest you didn't. I was just trying to explain my journey from not accepting the referendum result and the anger and even hatred at times I had for it.  It was really stressing me out and I would only accept headlines and stories from 'the Guardian' ; 'Independent'  ect ( which fitted in with my narrow view of brexit at the time).  Now I have a more balanced outlook and read most news stories from iether side of the fence and the few that are actually non biased.  Now I am quite optimistic on the bigger picture for the UK in the medium to long term.  Obviously the short term is full of uncertainty after this monumental decision but that's par for the course. We will get it right......in the end. ??

Know what you mean re. articles from media sources nearly always being biased one way or another :sad:.

Which is why I've stopped reading any articles that have no news to report, and are clearly opinion pieces - 'dressed up' as 'news' rather than what they actually are :- biased opinion/biased conjecture/mud-slinging etc. etc.

2 hours ago, sandyf said:

Too old to get distressed about anything and as always another negative article.

"Investor fear and the prospect of a Jeremy Corbyn premiership means Brexit might never actually happen, political sources have claimed. "

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-latest-news-leave-eu-uk-will-happen-european-union-a7826596.html

Yet Nigel Farage of all people suggest, that maybe JC is now our best chance on following through on Brexit. Quite amasing when you consider that JC has publicly stated that he voted for remain in the referendum.

• Like 2

Yup, lets look on the bright side: Brexit seems to have hastened big trade deals for EU, and  It has unified the EU to stand as one.

It's also good the EU parliament approved a resolution, with a large majority, that a transitional deal should last no longer than three years. They are not going to keep dragging the UK behind them eternally.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, Johnyo said:

It's also good the EU parliament approved a resolution, with a large majority, that a transitional deal should last no longer than three years. They are not going to keep dragging the UK behind them eternally.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Easily changed. The transitional arrangement would presumably be on the current terms.  I doubt they'd want to miss out on revenues on a large net contributor, let alone the trade.  And their main aim is to keep UK in the loop and from self destructing.  It's the Tories that don't care about Britain- EU cares more about our welfare and the rights of our citizens.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sandyf said:

"Talk of crossing red lines is an ultimatum,"  - A standard phrase in the Teresa May rhetoric.

It is a bit far fetched to think that the UK is going to walk out of 40 trade agreements one day and into 40 new ones the next. The EU may be concerned about their budget but it is very unlikely they are "worried" about anything, neither is the UK, they have their heads in the clouds.

I wasn't TM that said that - nor anyone from UK -=-  This was the wording from the EU.  See original quote.  ;)

4 hours ago, goldenbrwn1 said:

Why do you think this bunch of numpties will get it right: where did you read they are doing a good job?  Young Tories Weekly?  Express?

This is a damage limitation job imo.  The best result in the medium term is that we manage to dig ourselves out the hole we are digging.

'We will get it right'.  Just sentiment.

2 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

Know what you mean re. articles from media sources nearly always being biased one way or another :sad:.

Which is why I've stopped reading any articles that have no news to report, and are clearly opinion pieces - 'dressed up' as 'news' rather than what they actually are :- biased opinion/biased conjecture/mud-slinging etc. etc.

I thought you subscribed to Fence Sitter's Digest (Sponsered by Cuprinol)? ?

Edited by Grouse
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, mommysboy said:

I think it is more about the reckless choice of timing: a protest vote against an unpopular serving government was what it was. 

Nothing to do with the comedy of errors in Brussels then?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, vogie said:

Nothing to do with the comedy of errors in Brussels then?

Most Brexiteers won't know anything about Brussels (except the sprouts).

No really; it was a protest from rising inequality. Obvious now...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

:laugh: :biggrin:  sorry bit of a troll wind up,  it's just so many are or seem so serious on the brexit talks and none of em can do anything about it. :biggrin:

calm down dear I know it's hot and everything but no point in having a go at filthy foreigners - in your in LoS then you will be surrounded Custer stylee. :sleepy:

19 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Most Brexiteers won't know anything about Brussels (except the sprouts).

No really; it was a protest from rising inequality. Obvious now...

I'm not sure about inequality, but I'll give you equality.

FB_IMG_1498798019816.jpg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, mommysboy said:

Why do you think this bunch of numpties will get it right: where did you read they are doing a good job?  Young Tories Weekly?  Express?

This is a damage limitation job imo.  The best result in the medium term is that we manage to dig ourselves out the hole we are digging.

'We will get it right'.  Just sentiment.

Stay angry then ? Up to you.

And I never said they were doing a good job...I don't think any one or party could make a 'good' job of it, but just get it done and we will move on. And hopefully you will too. ?

Edited by goldenbrwn1

26 minutes ago, goldenbrwn1 said:

And I never said they were doing a good job...I don't think any one or party could make a 'good' job of it, but just get it done and we will move on. And hopefully you will too. ?

OK 333! Enlighten us. What tangible benefits do you expect from Brexit? Exactly?

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, goldenbrwn1 said:

Well at least we got one politician who speaks ( ignore the accent ) common sense.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Grouse said:

OK 333! Enlighten us. What tangible benefits do you expect from Brexit? Exactly?

Hopefully ..eventually, at least something along the lines of the prosperity that we were having whilst in the EU. The benefits if any are an unknown as are the concequences.   I cannot I'm afraid enlighten you or anyone else on the future. I just don't see the point to be continually angry over something that is out of ones individual control ...accepting brexit will set you free.  ?

Edited by goldenbrwn1

17 minutes ago, goldenbrwn1 said:

Hopefully ..eventually, at least something along the lines of the prosperity that we were having whilst in the EU. The benefits if any are an unknown as are the concequences.   I cannot I'm afraid enlighten you or anyone else on the future. I just don't see the point to be continually angry over something that is out of ones individual control ...accepting brexit will set you free.  ?

As I thought! No tangible benefits! Just staggering into the dark to a refrain from Captain Pugwash! Utter folly!

Edited by Grouse
  • Like 2