May ready for tough talks over Brexit

rooster59

3 hours ago, Grouse said:

Most Brexiteers won't know anything about Brussels (except the sprouts).

No really; it was a protest from rising inequality. Obvious now...

Recessions I thought (for the poor anyway).  Yet, I supose it is the same thing.  Nobody complained about the immigrants or the EU when they had notes in their wallet.  So, in true knee jerk style, they blamed 2 things that are actually quite positive for UK, because they were easy targets and foreign,ie, Brexit and migrant workers.  Voila! Problem solved.  Except it is not solved and may be made worse.

5 hours ago, mommysboy said:

No.

No, not really, although I am critical of this open borders policy.  It has transpired that UK has the ability to protect itself from the worst of the more insidious type of migration, but has simply been lax, or otherwise?

2 hours ago, goldenbrwn1 said:

Stay angry then ? Up to you.

And I never said they were doing a good job...I don't think any one or party could make a 'good' job of it, but just get it done and we will move on. And hopefully you will too. ?

I will- on this subject, because imo anger is merited. 

I dont think there is an angle of my life where I am not moving on.

What you are expressing are broad sentiments on how to personally live a more contented life and cope with stress, etc.  And on that basis, I will agree.

But as a strategy for Brexit!  What next? Eric Idle- Bright side of life?

2 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

I will- on this subject, because imo anger is merited. 

I dont think there is an angle of my life where I am not moving on.

What you are expressing are broad sentiments on how to personally live a more contented life and cope with stress, etc.  And on that basis, I will agree.

But as a strategy for Brexit!  What next? Eric Idle- Bright side of life?

20 minutes ago, Grouse said:

As I thought! No tangible benefits! Just staggering into the dark to a refrain from Captain Pugwash! Utter folly!

Something about Master Bates reminds me of Brexiteers generally! Can't quite put my finger on it!!

14 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Something about Master Bates reminds me of Brexiteers generally! Can't quite put my finger on it!!

"Brexiteers' has an unmerited kudos, you know, like musketeers.  I prefer the 'ers' ending.  One example might be......er, you know!

Edited by mommysboy
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Grouse said:

I loved captain pugwash as a kid...in my early teenage years master bates became my favourite....It was a shame it was taken off air by the BBC but thanks to the guardian newspaper it was. You know that anti brexit biased paper you all you fawn over.  Anyway I'm above all this tit for tat  ? debate on brexit. ....as I have said many times ..I'm over it................?????

Edited by goldenbrwn1
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

calm down dear I know it's hot and everything but no point in having a go at filthy foreigners - in your in LoS then you will be surrounded Custer stylee. :sleepy:

It's others that should calm down,  the many term insults towards EU foreigners were banded about in many a joking which was not a big deal in my younger days,  well PC works l guess and if l say any  ref to them now my kids tell me off. :laugh:

And foreigner-Thailand well don't start another  farang/falang  thread. :biggrin:

10 hours ago, Grouse said:

Well don't try too hard or Seaman Staines might make an appearance! 

10 hours ago, goldenbrwn1 said:

I loved captain pugwash as a kid...in my early teenage years master bates became my favourite....It was a shame it was taken off air by the BBC but thanks to the guardian newspaper it was. You know that anti brexit biased paper you all you fawn over.  Anyway I'm above all this tit for tat  ? debate on brexit. ....as I have said many times ..I'm over it................?????

John Ryan successfully sued The Guardian in 1991. I don't think the ECJ had any influence on that one!

22 hours ago, nontabury said:

Yet Nigel Farage of all people suggest, that maybe JC is now our best chance on following through on Brexit. Quite amasing when you consider that JC has publicly stated that he voted for remain in the referendum.

Corbyn's actions and his prior convictions convinced absolutely nobody that he was campaigning for Remain. So blatant that the MPs declared a vote of no confidence in him. Amusement there is none. Farage is not completely stupid. Some will have worked out that the Tories remain split and the Brexit outcome uncertain. On the other hand Corbyn's position is secure and Corbyn is going to hang on to those ex-UKIP votes like  a desperate drowning man. How so? Already declared no support now for remaining in Single Market and will complete the Brexit process if government drops into his lap. Bizarre but not impossible for Hard Brexiteers to hitch their wagon to Labour populism if the Tories fall.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

It's others that should calm down,  the many term insults towards EU foreigners were banded about in many a joking which was not a big deal in my younger days,  well PC works l guess and if l say any  ref to them now my kids tell me off. :laugh:

And foreigner-Thailand well don't start another  farang/falang  thread. :biggrin:

Its an old story that when racists are caught out, they resort to the tired formula 'I was only joking'.

20 hours ago, jpinx said:

I wasn't TM that said that - nor anyone from UK -=-  This was the wording from the EU.  See original quote.  ;)

Obviously I wasn't clear enough for you.

"Talk of crossing red lines is an ultimatum,"  - A standard phrase in the Teresa May rhetoric.

Maybe should have read  - A reference to a "red line" is a standard phrase in the Teresa May rhetoric.

"Red Line " has been used a lot more by TM than the EU. So on the same basis as your quote, ministers want TM to loosen her ultimatums.

"Leading Tory ministers, including pro-Brexit MPs such as David Davis and Boris Johnson, want Theresa May to loosen some of her “red lines” because they have “hamstrung” exit negotiations, a former senior government adviser has claimed. "

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-latest-theresa-may-red-line-speech-tory-ministers-loosening-boris-johnson-david-davis-a7817851.html

11 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

Its an old story that when racists are caught out, they resort to the tired formula 'I was only joking'.

A racist would never say he or she was joking. Iv met lots of jokers ( myself inc) and iv also met racists.  In my opinion the word racist has been thrown around far too much in the last decade. I have been called a racist twice in my lifetime, both times in the last year.  And both times I was disagreeing with someone on immigration. If someone would of called me that 5 or more years ago I would of been in shock and would instantly re-evaluate my opinion. Now I would just switch off and discontinue with the conversation or debate.  Anyway where was I??.... ah brexit ....?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, mommysboy said:

Easily changed. The transitional arrangement would presumably be on the current terms.  I doubt they'd want to miss out on revenues on a large net contributor, let alone the trade.  And their main aim is to keep UK in the loop and from self destructing.  It's the Tories that don't care about Britain- EU cares more about our welfare and the rights of our citizens.

"The transitional arrangement would presumably be on the current terms."

That is up in the air. Following the EU resolution on the transitional period an EU spokesman said customs control would be put in place March 2019. Obviously that could be postponed but strikes me that they are getting prepared for a particular outcome. At the end of the day when push comes to shove It will be very difficult to get 27 countries to agree on any concession.

Would getting the sack initiate a leadership challenge?

"Philip Hammond has said the global trade deals promised by Theresa May after Brexit will make a limited difference to the British economy, exposing cabinet splits over the European Union."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-trade-deals-uk-benefits-limited-philip-hammond-eu-warning-a7829951.html

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

Old  :laugh:  l would put my hand up on some serious issues and be labelled as a racist but it usually comes from people who are hypocrites.  :laugh:

When we talked about :- frogs,  krauts,  spics,  niggers,  w&gs  etc  it is and was and still is a derogatory term but was done in a joking neither the less, that's all l'm saying.   

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, sandyf said:

"The transitional arrangement would presumably be on the current terms."

That is up in the air. Following the EU resolution on the transitional period an EU spokesman said customs control would be put in place March 2019. Obviously that could be postponed but strikes me that they are getting prepared for a particular outcome. At the end of the day when push comes to shove It will be very difficult to get 27 countries to agree on any concession.

Actually, I think you need 22 out of the 27 to agree.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ilostmypassword said:

Actually, I think you need 22 out of the 27 to agree.

A long transitional period is the only way of marrying the legitimate claim of the Brexiters, who won, and the compelling needs of the economy. 

I doubt there would be any real opposition in EU.  Why would there be? 

2 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

A long transitional period is the only way of marrying the legitimate claim of the Brexiters, who won, and the compelling needs of the economy. 

I doubt there would be any real opposition in EU.  Why would there be? 

To discourage other EU members from following suit.

7 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

To discourage other EU members from following suit.

True.

I guess it is about contributions and trade.  I just don't see there being opposition.

Well, there is no other sound way of exiting.  And its wholly unreasonable for Brexit to take place with such a threat on the economy.

I suppose it is about what the EU wants- only they can make or break a deal and they can effectively scupper Brexit itself, by simply forcing UK in to a bad deal which will be rejected by both the electorate and Parliament.

1 minute ago, mommysboy said:

True.

I guess it is about contributions and trade.  I just don't see there being opposition.

Well, there is no other sound way of exiting.  And its wholly unreasonable for Brexit to take place with such a threat on the economy.

I suppose it is about what the EU wants- only they can make or break a deal and they can effectively scupper Brexit itself, by simply forcing UK in to a bad deal which will be rejected by both the electorate and Parliament.

And you've just provided another reason.

5 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

And you've just provided another reason.

As I said it is all about what the EU hierarchy wants to do really. 

Obviously, you believe that the EU will seek to 'punish' UK in order to dissuade any other members from leaving.  It's possible.  But I feel the needs of business will be paramount.

Edited by mommysboy

8 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

As I said it is all about what the EU hierarchy wants to do really. 

Obviously, you believe that the EU will seek to 'punish' UK in order to dissuade any other members from leaving.  It's possible.  But I feel the needs of business will be paramount.

Actually, I believe that they will want to make in uncomfortable right from the start. The question I don't have a clue as to what the answer might be is how uncomfortable.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

Actually, I believe that they will want to make in uncomfortable right from the start. The question I don't have a clue as to what the answer might be is how uncomfortable.

All you are doing is presenting a broad sword argument that would make any deal impossible.  You may be right, but I can't see that.

21 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

All you are doing is presenting a broad sword argument that would make any deal impossible.  You may be right, but I can't see that.

Well, the country that has the biggest trade surplus with the UK is Germany. And they seem to be taking a very tough approach.

3 hours ago, sandyf said:

Obviously I wasn't clear enough for you.

"Talk of crossing red lines is an ultimatum,"  - A standard phrase in the Teresa May rhetoric.

Maybe should have read  - A reference to a "red line" is a standard phrase in the Teresa May rhetoric.

"Red Line " has been used a lot more by TM than the EU. So on the same basis as your quote, ministers want TM to loosen her ultimatums.

"Leading Tory ministers, including pro-Brexit MPs such as David Davis and Boris Johnson, want Theresa May to loosen some of her “red lines” because they have “hamstrung” exit negotiations, a former senior government adviser has claimed. "

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-latest-theresa-may-red-line-speech-tory-ministers-loosening-boris-johnson-david-davis-a7817851.html

I give up in the face of a refusal to acknowledge what I was quoting.....  :( 

You can only say if the Tories are determined to secure a so called hard Brexit, and the EU likewise, then there can only be one outcome.  And I guess what Parliament thinks does not matter, since we'll already have crashed out.  I can't help thinking it somewhat unlikely.  It would be a trade war.