May ready for tough talks over Brexit

rooster59

8 hours ago, nontabury said:

That’s strange, I’ve lived here in Thailand for 20yrs, and so far I’ve only come across one remainder.( not including Thaivisa) But there again I don’t live on a bar stool.

By the way,that one remainer, is only against Brexit, because he thinks it May reduce his chances of getting a job for HIMself in the E.u.

More than me, not come across any leavers, but I don't live anywhere near a bar stool.

3 hours ago, Khun Han said:

There are sometimes great deals on his beloved Cathay Pacific from MAN, and I'm sure his ascerbic wit and dressmaking skills would go down a storm in the Newall Green.

I have encouraged friends 'oop North to consider Cathay as an alternative route to BKK now that the MAN link has been opened. HRW for me. Fortunately no need ever to travel to the Provinces these days and converse with the miserable Brexiteer crowd.

13 hours ago, taipeir said:

I haven't ?I'm just calling out the usual anti immigrant whining on here....Wah the colored immigrants came to our crappy run down deindustrialized cities with bad weather and make a go of it.

Wah.

The idiots forget those cities have always had waves of immigrants which gave them dynamism.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Yes, we all  know they’ve made a difference to Rotherham, Rochdale, Calderdale and other northern cities.

• Thanks 1

On 11/29/2017 at 2:18 PM, SheungWan said:

'Jobs growth and orders at 17-year highs as eurozone enjoys 'boom'. FT Nov 24.

"The eurozone's 'booming' economy powered ahead in November, with jobs growth and new manufacturing orders reaching 17-year highs as a stronger currency did little to damp robust foreign demand for the region's exports."  Nicolas Megaw FT.

33 minutes ago, aright said:

Its likely without Polish pilots we would not have won the Battle of Britain.

Or possibly the war, at least on Thursday brexit was put to one side and the government acknowledged the contribution made by Poland and showed some respect, military funeral and RAF fly past. It is really sad that some have no sense of gratitude.

http://londyn.msz.gov.pl/en/news/itsasadandprouddayfarewelltofranciszekkornicki

6 hours ago, sandyf said:

During the war the UK welcomed the Polish armed forces with open arms and in 1947 gave many the right to stay, convenient to forget that the Poles contributed to the rebuilding of the UK.

The Polish Resettlement Act 1947 was the first ever mass immigration legislation of the Parliament of the United Kingdom. It offered British citizenship to over 200,000[citation needed] displaced Polish troops on British soil who had fought against Nazi Germany and opposed the Soviet takeover of their homeland. The act also supplied a labour force to the demands of war-torn Britain.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish_Resettlement_Act_1947

Not sure what this has to do with closing the current 'open borders' that allow the multitude of unskilled workers (from far poorer EU countries) to keep wages low in the UK.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, aright said:

Its likely without Polish pilots we would not have won the Battle of Britain.

There was a picture on the front page of the daily mirror in 1945 of a Polish spitfire pilot and two young English WRACs looking down into Hitler's burned out bunker,one of the WRACs was my mum.bloody poles coming over here and flying our spitfires along with their Dutch and their war fleeing European mates how dare they.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Not sure what this has to do with closing the current 'open borders' that allow the multitude of unskilled workers (from far poorer EU countries) to keep wages low in the UK.

If you are not prepared to acknowledge the contribution these "immigrants" made to the UK during the 40's that is up to you. Anti immigration was the cornerstone of the leave campaign.

There is no open borders, that is a brexiteers myth implying that anyone from anywhere can walk into the UK or anywhere in the EU. A friend of mine's wife was banned permanently from the Irish republic because she went to Dublin on a UK visa, but we all know it is an open border between the north and south, don't we?

You cannot blame the failings of UK essential services on immigration, it is all about resources and management. If you reduced net migration to zero but 300K expats returned do you really think the NHS or social services would be any better off.

As for jobs, if they had carried a decent wage in the first place then there wouldn't have be any vacancies for anyone to come and fill. In the post war years Germany was not allowed to manufacture arms, they put the resources into infrastructure and prospered, but of course it is immigrants that kept the standard of living in the UK low, nothing whatsover to do with political decisions, was it?

At the end of the day it is so much easier to blame it all on the EU and immigration rather than address the root problems. If it wasn't for these inadequate brexiteer politicians we wouldn't be having this debate.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SheungWan said:

I have encouraged friends 'oop North to consider Cathay as an alternative route to BKK now that the MAN link has been opened. HRW for me. Fortunately no need ever to travel to the Provinces these days and converse with the miserable Brexiteer crowd.

I know one or two of the airlines flying from MAN over the years have been a bit dodgy (Binman Airlines springs to mind), but things have never been so bad as to get Human Rights Watch involved.....oh, sorry! You meant that you fly from LHR!

1 hour ago, dick dasterdly said:

This is old ground in these discussions. It's hard to imagine anybody begrudging citizenship to people who earned the right to stay after WW2. As you say, this has nothing to do with the current situation.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SheungWan said:

HRW? LHR?

4 hours ago, sandyf said:

If you are not prepared to acknowledge the contribution these "immigrants" made to the UK during the 40's that is up to you. Anti immigration was the cornerstone of the leave campaign.

There is no open borders, that is a brexiteers myth implying that anyone from anywhere can walk into the UK or anywhere in the EU. A friend of mine's wife was banned permanently from the Irish republic because she went to Dublin on a UK visa, but we all know it is an open border between the north and south, don't we?

You cannot blame the failings of UK essential services on immigration, it is all about resources and management. If you reduced net migration to zero but 300K expats returned do you really think the NHS or social services would be any better off.

As for jobs, if they had carried a decent wage in the first place then there wouldn't have be any vacancies for anyone to come and fill. In the post war years Germany was not allowed to manufacture arms, they put the resources into infrastructure and prospered, but of course it is immigrants that kept the standard of living in the UK low, nothing whatsover to do with political decisions, was it?

At the end of the day it is so much easier to blame it all on the EU and immigration rather than address the root problems. If it wasn't for these inadequate brexiteer politicians we wouldn't be having this debate.

There is no comparison to the situation in 1946 and now:

After WWII there were plenty of situations vacant after so many good men and women died due to the war.

After WWII there was plenty of room for development and more people.

In the interim, immigration happened at a reasonably steady pace until the early 90's.Then it took off like a rocket as more and more people immigrated from everywhere. But freedom of movement meant much more immigration from the the EU than other parts of the world, in terms of relative population.

By 2016 a lot of people on Britain looked at the state of their country and decided that immigration should be checked and that leaving the EU was a good way to start that process. Yes, massive immigration and its related problems was a big factor in the vote.. but I think not the leading one. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, vogie said:

What the hell are you on about? Didn't Britain declare on Germany because they invaded Poland, the Poles certainly had interest to get the Germans out of Poland, as did the Dutch. What pleasure do you get from deriding the UK all the time?

You are obviously English and the English government looked after their own. They used the Polish Armed Forces to defend Scotland, is it any wonder that Scotland voted to remain. Of course in this debate it suits the brexiteers for Scotland to be seen as part of the Disunited Kingdom.

Only the mentally challenged would think that history has no bearing on the current situation. You will be telling us next that historical events have no bearing on the Irish border problem.

• Confused 3

7 hours ago, vogie said:

What the hell are you on about? Didn't Britain declare on Germany because they invaded Poland, the Poles certainly had interest to get the Germans out of Poland, as did the Dutch. What pleasure do you get from deriding the UK all the time?

Idiot, it's an old joke about poles coming over here and flying our spitfires.it was in response to the anti Polish rhetoric in the press.ITS A JOKE. 

Don't normally see Sandy's posts, but he's still propagating the myth that WW2's expat Poles were all sent to Scotland (he'll probably quote that bastion of truth Breitbart again to back up his nonsense). Fact is, they were all over the UK, particularly where there were airstrips. And anyone growing up in post-war Britain will be testament to the fact that there were many Polish families in towns and cities all around the UK.
Fact is that the story is LOT more complicated than that as a two minute check on Wikipedia would tell anybody

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

If you miss one red bus there will be another along shortly.

Mocking the widely discredited claim deployed by Brexiteers during last year’s EU referendum that the NHS could receive an extra £350m a week after Brexit, Sir Vince added: “An exit from Brexit would mean we could be spending an extra £300m a week on the NHS and care. 

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-nhs-sir-vince-cable-eu-300m-a-week-stop-budget-a8088756.html

• Thanks 1