May ready for tough talks over Brexit

rooster59

3 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

Merry Xmas Grouse! Perhaps we can persuade the Brexiteer mob to put down their keyboards and come join us for a game of footle in no man's land.

As long as we don't have to use your ball. We know what you do with it when you don't like the referee's decision:smile:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, aright said:

As long as we don't have to use your ball. We know what you do with it when you don't like the referee's decision:smile:

One side playing by Association Football UK rules, the other side playing by EU regulations.

11 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

The referee for the game playing now is Parliament.

True, and as I recall it voted by a majority of 380 to trigger Article 50. I don't rate your chances of overturning that by appealing to the video referee do you?

50 minutes ago, aright said:

True, and as I recall it voted by a majority of 380 to trigger Article 50. I don't rate your chances of overturning that by appealing to the video referee do you?

That is not the game. The game on the pitch is the form which Brexit will take. The uber Hard Brexiteers refuse to play.

1 hour ago, simoh1490 said:

Merry Xmas Grouse! Perhaps we can persuade the Brexiteer mob to put down their keyboards and come join us for a game of footle in no man's land.

Yes, good idea. The brexiteer 'mob' versus the remainer 'lickspittles'. I might even take Grouse off ignore until his next personal insult (which should take him all of about ten minutes :laugh:).

1 minute ago, Khun Han said:

Yes, good idea. The brexiteer 'mob' versus the remainer 'lickspittles'. I might even take Grouse off ignore until his next personal insult (which should take him all of about ten minutes :laugh:).

And a very Merry Xmas to you too Han!

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

EU commissioners are nominated by the EU council, heads of state and for the UK that is the Prime Minister, nominations must then be approved by the EU parliament, elected by the general public of the member states.

It is no wonder the country is in such a mess when brexiteers have so little basic understanding of the EU. If you wish to know the political leanings of the UK EU commissioner, ask David Cameron, he chose him.

How many of the UK electorate actually voted for TM to be Prime Minister and how many of the UK cabinet appointments were approved by the UK parliament.

The UK government, as opposed to parliament, is effectively an autocracy as a prime ministerial regime, but of course that is perceived by some as more democratic than the parliamentary approval method in the EU.

This argument is fatuous. The UK has had a Bicameral Parliamentary System  since 1707 whose process has served us well........we do not have widespread complaints of process or value. The EU has been in existence for 40 years and since 1992 when the Danes voted against the Maastricht Treaty there has been nothing but complaints about it's process and value . You only have to look at election results (Denmark, UK, Catalonia and Corsica) to see the evidence and voting statistics (France, Germany, Austria , Poland, Netherlands) to see this is the Union which is in a mess

50% of people in the EU disagree that their voice counts.......6% above those that did.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/896303/eu-poll-immigration-positive-image 

29 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

That is not the game. The game on the pitch is the form which Brexit will take. The uber Hard Brexiteers refuse to play.

Typical Remainer you want to replay the game.

The lastgame was won 461 to 89 in December. We are leaving the EU and starting the next game and who knows what the final result will be in 2 years time. 

The UK system is more democratic although it obviously could be improved. At least each individual minister has to first qualify as an MP via election by a constituency. This "nominating", "choosing" and "approving" of low-level candidates for high-level (power)  commission positions is the main problem with this so-called democratic EU system. When has the EU parliament ever rejected a nominee? What happened when Cameron tried to reject Juncker for commission president? A quick look at the commissioners past and present shows what a joke this EU system is.  

There is no requirement for a Minister of State to be an elected MP as the post can also be held by members of the House of Lords. Obvious ones that spring to mind are Charlie Falconer, Tony Blair’s former flatmate who was made a life peer and also Peter Mandelson who was appointed Business Secretary by Gordon Brown a couple of weeks before becoming a Baron.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

4 hours ago, aright said:

Typical Remainer you want to replay the game.

The lastgame was won 461 to 89 in December. We are leaving the EU and starting the next game and who knows what the final result will be in 2 years time. 

Only a year out. That would be 2016. Maybe some Brexiteers have been asleep the last 12 months.

4 hours ago, Orac said:

There is no requirement for a Minister of State to be an elected MP as the post can also be held by members of the House of Lords. Obvious ones that spring to mind are Charlie Falconer, Tony Blair’s former flatmate who was made a life peer and also Peter Mandelson who was appointed Business Secretary by Gordon Brown a couple of weeks before becoming a Baron.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Yes, two fine examples there!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

never read them either ,its the Daily Wail for me . merry xmas , sad arnt we on here on xmas day ,

And a very merry Xmas to you too bert! Actually not sad at all, I use forums like Thaivisa as a break from all the other stuff that I'm doing, today it's repairing a bridge in the garden to I've got to wait until a decent hour before cutting steel. And the Mrs/ has gone to work, it's just another day in Thailand.