May ready for tough talks over Brexit

rooster59

41 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

I'm very obviously missing something here as I thought MPs had already voted to endorse the government's  timetable in invoking article 50?

If that were the case then the Government would hardly be going through appealing their case to the Supreme Court now would they? Clue: (:wacko:) It is not a timetable up in front of the Law Lords

Edited by SheungWan

10 hours ago, 7by7 said:

It was an opposition motion and therefore not legally binding.

Also, it was only passed in the Commons.

The court action is over whether or not an Act of Parliament is required to trigger Article 50.

If an Act is required then a Bill will have to be introduced and passed by both houses for it to become law.

Thank you for the explanation - much appreciated.

On 12/10/2016 at 6:56 PM, dick dasterdly said:

I'm very obviously missing something here as I thought MPs had already voted to endorse the government's  timetable in invoking article 50?

Apart from what has already been posted, the case has become a lot more complicated than what went before the High Court.

The Scottish and Welsh governments and lawyers for Northern Irish challengers all joined the case against the government. Scotland's nationalist executive, which opposes Brexit, argued that the Scottish parliament should be consulted.

"(Brexit) is almost the most divisive political event that has happened over the last several decades," Richard Gordon, law officer for the Welsh government, told the court on Thursday.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-eu-article-idUKKBN13X1JQ

Edited by metisdead
Oversize font reset to normal, edited as per fair use policy.

On 12/11/2016 at 9:41 AM, sandyf said:

Apart from what has already been posted, the case has become a lot more complicated than what went before the High Court.

The Scottish and Welsh governments and lawyers for Northern Irish challengers all joined the case against the government. Scotland's nationalist executive, which opposes Brexit, argued that the Scottish parliament should be consulted.

"(Brexit) is almost the most divisive political event that has happened over the last several decades," Richard Gordon, law officer for the Welsh government, told the court on Thursday.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-eu-article-idUKKBN13X1JQ

What is apparent is that since the UK has embraced devolution over the years requiring differing levels of consultation with the regions as separate entities, the Government's endeavour to activate Article 50 by the means of Royal Prerogative has become even less tenable, or at least that was the argument presented to the Supreme Court.

Brexit is heading for the same problems as many other countries including the US and even Thailand.....an ugly upswell of the far right is inveigling it's way into mainstream politics by basically telling lies and conjuring up a false image that appeals specifically to the less educated and less well off in societies around the world - thos who firstly accept a false image of the world and then are gullible enough to thing there are simple solutions to complex matt

Some right-wing politicians want us to believe things have never been worse......ers

\

• Like 2

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 7:05 AM, dick dasterdly said:

Thank you for the explanation - much appreciated.

True to a point...so we put in on the back burner shall we say. What happens in (now) 4.5 years?

When we do leave and we will, much of EU law will be kept but things such as rules against a badly shaped cucumber will be discarded.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Convention_on_Human_Rights

I am full on for getting rid of this because it costs the UK 10's of millions every year. So you get these [expletive] dullards who say that then the UK will have no human rights. What about the UDHR to whom we are signatories to?

I think being part of a trading group is a dam n good thing but not in its present form. We will go away and do out own thing and when you sort your sh1t out we will be willing to re-join.

EU auditors refuse to sign off more than £100billion of its own spending

Critics attack the EU for demanding that David Cameron pays a £1.7 billion bill despite an official audit failing to give a clean bill of health to more than £100 billion of Brussels spending

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/11209248/EU-auditors-refuse-to-sign-off-more-than-100billion-of-its-own-spending.html

That is just one reason. When was the last audit passed? A question.

2 hours ago, notmyself said:

True to a point...so we put in on the back burner shall we say. What happens in (now) 4.5 years?

When we do leave and we will, much of EU law will be kept but things such as rules against a badly shaped cucumber will be discarded.....

I am full on for getting rid of this because it costs the UK 10's of millions every year. So you get these [expletive] dullards who say that then the UK will have no human rights. What about the UDHR to whom we are signatories to?

I think being part of a trading group is a dam n good thing but not in its present form. We will go away and do out own thing and when you sort your sh1t out we will be willing to re-join.

The ECHR is the Council of Europe and not part of the EU, and thus will remain on brexit 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Loeilad said:

Brexit is heading for the same problems as many other countries including the US and even Thailand.....an ugly upswell of the far right is inveigling it's way into mainstream politics by basically telling lies and conjuring up a false image that appeals specifically to the less educated and less well off in societies around the world - thos who firstly accept a false image of the world and then are gullible enough to thing there are simple solutions to complex matt

Some right-wing politicians want us to believe things have never been worse......ers

\

"Brexiters.....stupid, ignorant racists.....blah.....blah....." :coffee1:

• Like 1

I wonder how many actually realised  they were voting to be poorer. I suppose that with all the propaganda over scaremongering many believed that nothing would cost more and they would be better off.

Economists expect the 10 per cent depreciation of trade-weighted sterling since the 23 June Brexit vote to feed through to higher prices in the shops over the next two years, which will, in turn, reduce real household disposable incomes and help slow the economy sharply in 2017.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/brexit-inflation-hits-highest-since-2014-a7471366.html

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Loeilad said:

and that is meant to be an argument?

It doesn't need to be. The fact that so many people who consider themselves to be intelligent and educated have been suckered into the coarse propaganda put out by the globalists running the ongoing remain campaign speaks for itself. "Come onto the inside track with us. We're the clever ones. You're with us, aren't you, not with the stupid ignorant racists?"

But people like you (and me, for that matter) will never be on the inside track. Remain's supporters are just useful idiots, who will be discarded like a used snot rag if needs be.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, notmyself said:

7 hours ago, rockingrobin said:

The ECHR is the Council of Europe and not part of the EU, and thus will remain on brexit 

Indeed, and as the link in notmyself's post says, it was mainly the UK who was responsible for drafting the convention and the UK was one of the original signatories in 1950.

What’s the difference between the European Convention on Human Rights, the European Court of Human Rights and the European Court of Justice?

The ECHR and its European Court of Human Rights are part of a completely different legal system to the EU. The ECHR and ECtHR are both part of the Council of Europe which has 47 member states including Russia and the UK.

The European Union (EU) consists of 28 Member States, including the UK. The Court of Justice of the European Union, sometimes referred to as the European Court of Justice, is the body responsible for overseeing compliance with EU law in the EU

Leaving the EU will have no effect on the UK's membership of the CoE nor it's obligations under the ECHR and it's court.

Unfortunately, far too many people thought that it would and so they made the wrong choice when voting in the referendum.

Whilst fruit and vegetables in the EU are graded according to size, shape, weight and quality, there has never been any EU regulation banning badly shaped cucumbers, bananas or any other fruit or vegetable; that's just one of the many Euro myths.

Unfortunately, far to many people believe the myths rather than the facts which caused them to make the wrong choice when voting in the referendum.

• Like 2

I've asked this before but never got an answer.

Can anybody actually say anything GOOD has come from Brexit?

Predictions before were all just about right but Brexiteers called is "alarmist" etc etc

Predictions are dismissed as "you can't tell the future" - a rather facile argument.

And now this from the Independent.

Brexit: 40% of US firms with British offices are considering relocating to the EU

it just gets more and more obvious that Brexit is probably the worst decision in UK history......even Suez doesn't come close although it did just about the same for UK international standing.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Loeilad said:

Predictions before were all just about right but Brexiteers called is "alarmist" etc etc

Predictions are dismissed as "you can't tell the future" - a rather facile argument.

And now this from the Independent.

Brexit: 40% of US firms with British offices are considering relocating to the EU

it just gets more and more obvious that Brexit is probably the worst decision in UK history......even Suez doesn't come close although it did just about the same for UK international standing.

Predictions before were just about wrong, and brexiters calling those predictions out as alarmist have been proven to be absolutely correct.

There is nothing to show that brexit is a poor decision other than more alarmist predictions. And I predict that those predictions will again turn out to be incorrect.

The key to understanding these ridiculous predictions from remainers is scaremongering. They think that, if they keep on doing it, the sheeple (as they are viewed by the globalists running the remain campaign) will start believing it. They even lie blatantly that they have so far been largely proven right, thinking that the sheeple are too stupid to notice that, so far, they've been wildly wrong!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Khun Han said:

Predictions before were just about wrong, and brexiters calling those predictions out as alarmist have been proven to be absolutely correct.

There is nothing to show that brexit is a poor decision other than more alarmist predictions. And I predict that those predictions will again turn out to be incorrect.

The key to understanding these ridiculous predictions from remainers is scaremongering. They think that, if they keep on doing it, the sheeple (as they are viewed by the globalists running the remain campaign) will start believing it. They even lie blatantly that they have so far been largely proven right, thinking that the sheeple are too stupid to notice that, so far, they've been wildly wrong!

Han, you're a voice in the wilderness. Everyone knows Brexit is a disaster. Powers at be are running around to find a recipe to keep the low level munchkins happy. The smart folks are packing. Don't forget to turn the lights out ?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Loeilad said:

This is an example of the idiocy. We can now trade with the 27 EU countries AND with the 165 non EU countries.

13 minutes ago, onthesoi said:

If you believe that then you're truly delusional.

I suppose it all originates from our repressed Victorian sexualities, from back when everybody thought they were the only ones to suffer the secret shame of being an actual <deleted>.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=<deleted>

I would say that your unsubstantiated opinion is tosh.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, notmyself said:

I would say that your unsubstantiated opinion is tosh.

It's not my opinion, nor is it it unsubstantiated as it can be observed by anyone who knows how to use google & has 10 minutes to spare.

This thread is littered with referenced examples of the downside of Brexit if you care to read the 90 odd pages.

On the other hand, claiming  there are zero negative aspects to Brexit is bordering on a mental illness....it's up there with The Rapture & Scientology.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Han, you're a voice in the wilderness. Everyone knows Brexit is a disaster. Powers at be are running around to find a recipe to keep the low level munchkins happy. The smart folks are packing. Don't forget to turn the lights out ?

Grouse, everyone knows you bought into the globalist claptrap about brexit lock, stock and barrel. An evangelist. I'm one of the few from the sensible side who doesn't have you on 'ignore'.

Fact is, nobody's going anywhere, despite all the scaremongering and threats.

My prediction: in three years time, it will be business as usual, and people like you will still be telling us that 'it' hasn't happened yet because blah, blah.....but it will do, oh yes! It will do.....eventually.