May ready for tough talks over Brexit

rooster59

10 minutes ago, notmyself said:

What happened to Aus and NZ when the UK joined the EU?

As far I as I know both countries are still there.

On a serious note, let me disprove your point even before you've made it:

From the Waitrose(UK supermarket) website:

New Zealand lamb

New Zealand's contrasting season to the UK make a perfect fit with the UK lamb season. Waitrose has been working with a group of more than 250 farmers in New Zealand for a number of years, to supply lamb that is produced to the same high standards of welfare and care as our UK lamb. Internationally famous for its tenderness and sweet flavour, Waitrose New Zealand lamb is available prepacked, from December (when the UK season is tailing off) to Early June.

http://www.waitrose.com/home/inspiration/about_waitrose/about_our_food/lamb.html

------------

Need more proof?

From the UK goverment website:

UK and New Zealand trade

The UK is New Zealand’s fifth largest 2-way trading partner. It is the fifth largest market for total exports from New Zealand and the ninth largest source market. Imports of goods and services from the UK were worth over £1.1 billion in 2015.

New Zealand’s top 5 imports from the UK are:

1. vehicles
  2. machinery and mechanical parts
  3. electrical machinery and goods
  4. print products, such as books
  5. pharmaceutical product

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/exporting-to-new-zealand/exporting-to-new-zealand

----------------------

That the trouble with having your opinion handed to you by the Mail and the Express ...it means you're reliably misinformed!

Edited by onthesoi

57 minutes ago, onthesoi said:

If you believe that then you're truly delusional.

It's the ones who keep buying into the globalist propaganda who are delusional. The reality is that nothing of substance will change in ordinary peoples' day-to-day lives because of brexit. But the globalists will lose some of the control they had over the UK, and will never get the level of control they wanted. Obama had quietly sidelined the UK as the USA's biggest ally in favour of Germany, which he views as the natural leader of Europe (as does Germany, of course). His threats about trade were geared toward this. And doesn't anybody get concerned that the main tactic of the EU and it's globalist backers is threats/ bullying/coercion? That, in of itself, is good enough reason to escape from this bunch of global gangsters whilst we still have the chance to do so.

Edited by Khun Han
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, onthesoi said:

& yet all the people that matter( eg markets, investors and business people)  ...don't agree with your prediction.

The ones who keep getting their predictions wrong?

Re: business people. I love the post-brexit vote comment from Siemens CEO Joe Kaeser when announcing increased investment in the UK:

"We never said the UK is in bad shape if it leaves the EU: we said the EU would miss a massive opportunity."

17 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

It's the ones who keep buying into the globalist propaganda who are delusional. The reality is that nothing of substance will change in ordinary peoples' day-to-day lives because of brexit.

So all the people, who since the referendum result, have changed pounds to just about any other currency have seen no difference, including all the people who come to Thailand & ex-pats who live off their UK pensions here?

Really?

Unless your saying the amount of money in your pocket is "nothing of substance" ?

Edited by onthesoi

6 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

The ones who keep getting their predictions wrong?

No , I'm talking about the people who are holding more money than you will see in a thousand lifetimes, so I think that means their financial predictions are generally spot on ..

Edited by onthesoi

2 minutes ago, onthesoi said:

So all the people, who since the referendum result, have changed pounds to just about any other currency have seen no difference, including all the people who come to Thailand, & ex-pats who live off their UK pensions here?

Really?

Look, I know this is a Thai-centric forum, but this discussion is in the World News Section about brexit in the UK. That's what I'm discussing. Ordinary people in the UK only generally change currency when they go on holiday. Expats and their money, whilst a serious matter for expats, is a miniscule side issue with regard to brexit.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, onthesoi said:

No , I'm talking about the people who are holding more money than you will see in a thousand lifetimes, so I think that means their financial predictions are generally spot on ..

Except that, so far, they've got them badly wrong on brexit.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

Look, I know this is a Thai-centric forum, but this discussion is in the World News Section about brexit in the UK. That's what I'm discussing. Ordinary people in the UK only generally change currency when they go on holiday. Expats and their money, whilst a serious matter for expats, is a miniscule side issue with regard to brexit.

I understand why you want to avoid discussing certain facts that show you as being utterly wrong.

Not only will UK based people be paying more for holidays, they will be paying more for nearly all their goods, because the UK imports nearly everything, even the few local goods available will be using oil/fuel that has been imported.

You can't get away from the fact that a devalued pound automatically means inflation or at the very least a lowering of product/service quality ...& that effects everyone.

Edited by onthesoi
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, onthesoi said:

As far I as I know both countries are still there.

On a serious note, let me disprove your point even before you've made it:

From the Waitrose(UK supermarket) website:

New Zealand lamb

New Zealand's contrasting season to the UK make a perfect fit with the UK lamb season. Waitrose has been working with a group of more than 250 farmers in New Zealand for a number of years, to supply lamb that is produced to the same high standards of welfare and care as our UK lamb. Internationally famous for its tenderness and sweet flavour, Waitrose New Zealand lamb is available prepacked, from December (when the UK season is tailing off) to Early June.

http://www.waitrose.com/home/inspiration/about_waitrose/about_our_food/lamb.html

------------

Need more proof?

From the UK goverment website:

UK and New Zealand trade

The UK is New Zealand’s fifth largest 2-way trading partner. It is the fifth largest market for total exports from New Zealand and the ninth largest source market. Imports of goods and services from the UK were worth over £1.1 billion in 2015.

1. vehicles

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/exporting-to-new-zealand/exporting-to-new-zealand

----------------------

That the trouble with having your opinion handed to you by the Mail and the Express ...it means you're reliably misinformed!

And here we have a bit of rather silly cherry picking which blithely ignores the bald fact that direct trade between the UK and Australia/New Zealand has fallen massively since we committed to EU trade.

8 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

Except that, so far, they've got them badly wrong on brexit.

Not at all, they said before the referendum that a Brexit result would be a disaster for the UK economy ...the arse dropped out of the pound immediately after the result, so I would say their predictions were spot on.

4 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

And here we have a bit of rather silly cherry picking which blithely ignores the bald fact that direct trade between the UK and Australia/New Zealand has fallen massively since we committed to EU trade.

Cherry picking?  It's a UK government report that details all the trade between the UK and New Zealand ..are you sure you know what cherry picking means?

Once more for the hard of thinking:

UK and New Zealand trade

1. vehicles

And, more importantly it shows the UK has 2-way trade with New Zealand even as part of the EU ...so that put another Brexiteer myth to the sword.

Edited by onthesoi
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, onthesoi said:

I understand why you want to avoid discussing certain facts that show you as being utterly wrong.

Not only will UK based people be paying more for holidays, they will be paying more for nearly all their goods, because the UK imports nearly everything, even the few local goods available will be using oil/fuel that has been imported.

You can't get away from the fact that a devalued pound automatically means inflation or at the very least a lowering of product/service quality ...& that effects everyone.

You forgot to mention that a devalued Pound helps exports rather a lot. Look how well the Euro being undervalued in relation to Germany has helped that country's export market (though they get the rest of the Eurozone to pay for that undervaluation, the crafty so-and-so's).

3 minutes ago, onthesoi said:

Cherry picking?  It's a UK government report that details all the trade between the UK and New Zealand ..are you sure you know what cherry picking means?

Once more for the hard of thinking:

UK and New Zealand trade

1. vehicles

And, more importantly it shows the UK has 2-way trade with New Zealand even as part of the EU ...so that put another Brexiteer myth to the sword.

And once more, for the hard-of-thinking, New Zealand's exports to the UK have fallen from a high of over 60% of gross in the 1950s to less than 10% post-UK EU membership.

1 minute ago, onthesoi said:

Another myth.....

And of course the devalued pound increases input costs ... so expect some price rises in the shops in 2017, that will dampen consumption ... and of course the C is a much more important component of GDP than the X, namely exports.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AlexRich said:

And of course the devalued pound increases input costs ... so expect some price rises in the shops in 2017, that will dampen consumption ... and of course the C is a much more important component of GDP than the X, namely exports.

Exactly right,

12 minutes ago, onthesoi said:

Not at all, they said before the referendum that a Brexit result would be a disaster for the UK economy ...the arse dropped out of the pound immediately after the result, so I would say their predictions were spot on.

They also predicted an immediate and sustained contraction in the UK economy, but they were wrong: the economy grew. And their subsequent predictions about the UK economy have also been wrong so far. Their predictions have, in actuality, been quite hopeless.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

And once more, for the hard-of-thinking, New Zealand's exports to the UK have fallen from a high of over 60% of gross in the 1950s to less than 10%

& in the 1950s a Marsbar was 6 times bigger than they are today and would last a whole week, ...maybe we can blame the EU for that as well.

3 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

They also predicted an immediate and sustained contraction in the UK economy, but they were wrong:

Data from IHS Markit's Purchasing Managers' Index, or PMI, shows a fall to 47.7 in July, the lowest level since April in 2009. A reading below 50 indicates contraction.  Both manufacturing and service sectors saw a decline in output and orders.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36864273

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, onthesoi said:

& in the 1950s a Marsbar was 6 times bigger than they are today and would last a whole week, ...maybe we can blame the EU for that as well.

You can't deny that direct trade between the UK and New Zealand has dropped massively since we joined the EEC/EU, so you make a silly, factious post to cover your tracks. Splendid!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, onthesoi said:

Data from IHS Markit's Purchasing Managers' Index, or PMI, shows a fall to 47.7 in July, the lowest level since April in 2009. A reading below 50 indicates contraction.  Both manufacturing and service sectors saw a decline in output and orders.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36864273

And then the following month it went back up. You're quite the cherry picker, aren't you?

34 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Han, you seem to fighting a rather lonely rear guard action. I don't spend much time here these days but good luck ?

Nor do I these days. But you're mistaken: the rear guard action is by remainers. Brexit is happening, remember?

• Like 1