CM Restaurant appears among Trip Advisor top 25 in World for Fine Dining

Dipterocarp

DK David's Kitchen at 909. Never heard of it but should be worth a try, perhaps a good excuse to put on some decent clothing

if nothing else. No desire to visit another city on that list, nice to have such an option in CM.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/TravelersChoice-Restaurants-g1-a_Mode.expanded

Edited by Dipterocarp

Word..  seriously?

Although I guess they're people's reviews, who likely take expectations into account. It's not like professional reviewers for Michelin stars.   Still it's amazing to make that list, ahead of any place in Bangkok and lots of other places in the world.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I dined there about two -three years ago. Wasn't bad. Can't recall what I ate, but I had an enjoyable evening.

A bit outside Chiang Mai. Got the hotel to call the restaurantl for directions, and explain to the taxi driver, but I think they have their own driver if you want to book a pick-up.

26 minutes ago, phetphet said:

I dined there about two -three years ago. Wasn't bad. Can't recall what I ate, but I had an enjoyable evening.

A bit outside Chiang Mai. Got the hotel to call the restaurantl for directions, and explain to the taxi driver, but I think they have their own driver if you want to book a pick-up.

"A bit outside Chiang Mai" ? You must have a different restaurant. This one is opposite the British Consulate,  just around the corner five minutes from Good View and Riverside.....hardly "outside" Chiang Mai !!!!

6 minutes ago, EL159 said:

"A bit outside Chiang Mai" ? You must have a different restaurant. This one is opposite the British Consulate,  just around the corner five minutes from Good View and Riverside.....hardly "outside" Chiang Mai !!!!

It was outside town until they moved 8 months or so back. Visited the old location several times and food was always decent but yet to try at new But hopefully the menu has changed.

David's Kitchen is very good, and yeah, probably the best in CM but for an extraordinary experience try Gaggan in Bangkok. Gaggan has been ranked by the actual and credible experts (not Trip Advisor) as the number 1 restaurant in Asia for the past 2 years. Getting table is tough (expect a 3 month wait) and the price is very high (there is 1 menu item: an 18 course dinner for 4500 Bt. With drinks and wine expect expect 7-9000 Bt apiece for the night). Incredibly though its worth it. One of the dining experiences of a lifetime... 

10 minutes ago, lexilis said:

David's Kitchen is very good, and yeah, probably the best in CM but for an extraordinary experience try Gaggan in Bangkok. Gaggan has been ranked by the actual and credible experts (not Trip Advisor) as the number 1 restaurant in Asia for the past 2 years. Getting table is tough (expect a 3 month wait) and the price is very high (there is 1 menu item: an 18 course dinner for 4500 Bt. With drinks and wine expect expect 7-9000 Bt apiece for the night). Incredibly though its worth it. One of the dining experiences of a lifetime... 

Tried booking a couple of times. Three or four weeks in advance. Not successful. I gather it is pretty small.

The last time, although I had booked for 8:30 and was OK'd, they called me on the night and told me they could only fit me in at 6:30. Turned them down. I won't bother trying again. Give it a year and the new best thing will come along.

6 hours ago, lexilis said:

One of the dining experiences of a lifetime... 

Yes, for those interested in a "dining experience", and that would include ambiance and service.  I prefer to focus on the taste of the food and thus my costs for great dining are greatly reduced.

The various dishes look delicious. But I doubt I'd want to go there hungry. When I see one lonely broccoli floret, one cauliflower floret, and one tiny baby carrot on a plate, I know that A) I need to eat dinner before I go there, and B) it's going to cost a LOT of money.  Food looks good, ambiance certainly looks lovely, but when I go to a restaurant, I want a full meal, not a just a pretty nibble. I don't mind paying for a full meal. But if I'm getting just a pretty nibble, I don't want to pay full meal prices. I'm sure it's a lovely 'experience.' 

If all you ever want is a plate loaded up like a dinner at Dukes then fine. I like Dukes also, eat there several times a month. The point about Gaggan not about the ambiance or the prettiness of it. The experience is totally about the taste of the food. Combinations of flavor and texture that are incredible, both subtle and powerful at the same time and best experienced in small portions. Sometime the whole table laughs out of pure pleasure after tasting one of Gaggan's creations. Definitely worth it every once and a while. Was that 30 year-old Laphroaig single-malt bottle worth $700? Probably not. But I sure do remember the enjoyment I got out of the one that sits (now alas empty) on my bookshelf. Next year some time I'll go to Gaggan again and enjoy that too.     

On 10/22/2016 at 5:31 PM, mmarks said:

Dont know this place but remember reading about 3 months ago that the poll was rigged because all the respondents were from China and it somehow skewed the statistics of the program or something like that.

If they were all from China, I think 7-11 might have won. :smile:

David

On 10/22/2016 at 7:05 PM, phetphet said:

Tried booking a couple of times. Three or four weeks in advance. Not successful. I gather it is pretty small.

The last time, although I had booked for 8:30 and was OK'd, they called me on the night and told me they could only fit me in at 6:30. Turned them down. I won't bother trying again. Give it a year and the new best thing will come along.

They have held this reputation for MANY YEARS which is why you could not get a table 

1 hour ago, Phrafarang said:

They rate highly because they ask every single customer to review them on trip advisor.

That they rate No1 in CM is a joke especially when you have restaurants like Le Crystal!

I bet you have not even ate there 

On 22/10/2016 at 7:05 PM, phetphet said:

Just to be clear. in the above post, I was talking about Gaggan, not DK Kitchen.

I would never put much stock in a a rateing from trip advisor, to many individual variables. The majority of people have not a clue how a dish should taste or be presented.. I have had to many people recommend some place as being great but when I tried it usually to much salt in the food or way to much garlic

2 hours ago, DiamondKing said:

I bet you have not even ate there 

Actually I have eaten there several times, at the previous location, both for lunch and dinner.

Unlike many posters I would never comment on something I did not have first hand experience of.

Trip Advisors rating system is nonsense because it rates on where gets the most reviews ( hence Davids Kitchen being high up) not on quality of food. Example? I went to Luang Prabang recently, and if you ask Trip Advisor about the best restaurants there, you get a list where a street corner noodle joint comes out number one, and yet places like "L Elephant" a very highly rated French place comes out at about number 7.....the whole system is nonsense!

Trip Advisors rating system is nonsense because it rates on where gets the most reviews ( hence Davids Kitchen being high up) not on quality of food. Example? I went to Luang Prabang recently, and if you ask Trip Advisor about the best restaurants there, you get a list where a street corner noodle joint comes out number one, and yet places like "L Elephant" a very highly rated French place comes out at about number 7.....the whole system is nonsense!

So where on the web can u get impartial qualitative opinion, if the true answer is nowhere then why bother patronise these type of threads. The glass half full troup are so well a glass half full.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, yorkieb said:

So where on the web can u get impartial qualitative opinion, if the true answer is nowhere then why bother patronise these type of threads. The glass half full troup are so well a glass half full.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

On October 24, 2559 BE at 5:00 PM, EL159 said:

I agree 100% about your concerns about the rating system and why the elephant verde is #7 and a noodle shops #1.  These review systems are for the masses, not for people seeking superiority When I am seeking some guidance when traveling, I really dissect the past reviews of the person reviewing the restaurant or shop or anything really.

On 10/22/2016 at 6:51 PM, lexilis said:

I have eaten at Gaggan several times and find it overrated.  The atmosphere is nice, especially if you get to sit next to the magic window on the kitchen, but I never had a memorable meal there.  Every time we went there the maitre d' would suddenly appear and interrupt our conversation with his narration about what we were eating.  Very irritating.

For Indian food in BKK I much prefer Rang Mahal.  Good food, good ambiance.