Transfers between Bangkok Bank, London and Bangkok?

Yes good question I am also interested, i tried to send from RBS in uk to BKK bank in london but there was not enough space to put the BKK bank sterling account number that account is located in thailand

At present I send RBS in UK to Lloyds IOM free and instantaneous, then by telephone banking I send from IOM to BKK sterling account in Thailand also a free transfer if you have a lloyds premier account

More information on the direct transfer to BKK london please, someone out there must surely know

Assuming you already have a Bangkok Bank account in Thailand:

If you go into the branch where you opened that account they can set up an arrangement, to enable you to deposit from a UK-based account as a domestic transfer into the London branch. They provide you with the account details to use and issue a unique code ensuring it arrives in your Thai branch. I had no problems [Chiang Mai] and the money you deposit through London is available quickly in Thailand. I usually transfer 3K each time and the fee is 20GBP. There may be cheaper ways to transfer money but this way couldn't be simpler once it has been set up

As with many other areas here my experience does not guarantee yours will be the same.

Edit for typo

Edited by Caspersfriend

All the information is here http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/DailyBanking/TransferingFunds/TransferringIntoThailand/ReceivingFundsfromUK/Pages/ReceivingFundsfromUK.aspx

If you have internet banking with your UK bank you can just make a payment to Bangkok Bank (UK) - just like paying a bill. There is a choice of 2 accounts to pay into (different charges and exchange rates - so you need to decide which is best for you).

You give your Bangkok Bank Thailand account number as part of the reference number.

The money is sent to your Thai account within a couple of working days (for me the fastest has been next day, and the slowest 4 days).

You can choose either of the options to pay via the Faster Payments service or BACS.

BACS is the cheaper option costing £15.  Pounds Sterling converted to Thai Baht using the London Branch's exchange rate, with no transfer fee.

Usually takes 3/4 working days to reach your Thai bank account.

Faster Payments service costs £20. Pounds Sterling converted to Thai Baht using the daily TT buying rate at Bangkok. An additional international fee of 0.25% of the transferred amount will be deducted by Bangkok Bank Thailand before crediting funds to recipient account (minimum 200Bt, maximum 500Bt).

Takes less than 24 hours to reach you Thai bank account.

Personally I've always used the Faster payments method.

Because of the time difference, I've made online transactions at 6pm Thai time from my UK bank to BKK London and it hits my Thai bank account 9am the following morning.

That's 15 hours!

You cannot open an account at BKK London, it is only used as a Clearing Services bank.

Edited by Faz

I prefer to have the money transferred in GBP to my FCD account as I can then convert to Thai Baht as and when I choose. At least you have some control over the rate used. If the fund transfer is related to Immigration matters, they accept it being in an FCD account - at least in CM they do.

2 hours ago, al007 said:

Yes good question I am also interested, i tried to send from RBS in uk to BKK bank in london but there was not enough space to put the BKK bank sterling account number that account is located in thailand

At present I send RBS in UK to Lloyds IOM free and instantaneous, then by telephone banking I send from IOM to BKK sterling account in Thailand also a free transfer if you have a lloyds premier account

More information on the direct transfer to BKK london please, someone out there must surely know

I transfer my pension monthly it is paid into Santander I go on line and transfer to bb in London. You will need to check the BB acc no I set up the details so it's just a simple matter of typing in the amount it goes to bb in London instantly with my bb acc number in Thailand and they transfer it usually by the next day sometimes same day but can be 2-3 days on a holiday period. Pvt me if I can be of more help

26 minutes ago, Faz said:

You can choose either of the options to pay via the Faster Payments service or BACS.

BACS is the cheaper option costing £15.  Pounds Sterling converted to Thai Baht using the London Branch's exchange rate, with no transfer fee.

Usually takes 3/4 working days to reach your Thai bank account.

Faster Payments service costs £20. Pounds Sterling converted to Thai Baht using the daily TT buying rate at Bangkok. An additional international fee of 0.25% of the transferred amount will be deducted by Bangkok Bank Thailand before crediting funds to recipient account (minimum 200Bt, maximum 500Bt).

Takes less than 24 hours to reach you Thai bank account.

Personally I've always used the Faster payments method.

Because of the time difference, I've made online transactions at 6pm Thai time from my UK bank to BKK London and it hits my Thai bank account 9am the following morning.

That's 15 hours!

You cannot open an account at BKK London, it is only used as a Clearing Services bank.

You can open an account at Bangkok Bank London, I have one. You can have current, fixed and time deposit accounts. I used to have a business account there 24 years ago also but now only use it as required by HMRC to pay in my quarterly pension payments using Swift to transfer to my Bangkok Bank Account in Thailand. Another pension provider makes my payments using Citibank and that is fast and reliable. Another pension provider refuses to send the 6 monthly payments to BBL London or use Citibank and insists on sending me a cheque which takes around one month from them sending it to me until I receive the funds via Bangkok Bank.

I have a UK Halifax bank account and regularly make transfers to my Thai bank account for £9.50. I have a Thai baht account and a sterling account in Thailand and Halifax allows me to choose the currency I want to send. Money is in my Thai accounts 2/3 days later.

Thanks for all the very useful information and food for thought, chaps. I shall go into my BB Branch tomorrow and ask about this service. I have both Nationwide and RBS in the U.K. with pensions paid into the former.

Thus far, I have taken money from BB ATMs (one of the better exchange rates) using my Nationwide Debit Card which is FREE (sort of - they charge £10 per month for their Flexplus A/c) and of course the Thai ATM charges 200 ThB for each transaction.

Because of the tragically poor UK:ThB exchange rate, the available amount to draw in one transaction is getting less and less so the option of transferring a more substantial amount for a much smaller fee is very attractive.

I'll keep you posted on developments and once again, many thanks.

Aj Martin

I did the math and it seems to not be worth the hassle, It looks like about 700 baht in fees for the Bangkok bank method for my $4,400 dollar per month transfer. With my debit card I pay 1120 baht using my home bank and not having to mess around changing things when I visit home. Krungsri bank allows 30,000 baht per draw and I can notice no difference in exchange rate, in fact I can watch the rate and try to catch it on an uptick and getting a bit more. This can backfire but when I see an uptick I do scramble over to get some cash. 

4 hours ago, Estrada said:

You can open an account at Bangkok Bank London, I have one. You can have current, fixed and time deposit accounts. I used to have a business account there 24 years ago also but now only use it as required by HMRC to pay in my quarterly pension payments using Swift to transfer to my Bangkok Bank Account in Thailand. Another pension provider makes my payments using Citibank and that is fast and reliable. Another pension provider refuses to send the 6 monthly payments to BBL London or use Citibank and insists on sending me a cheque which takes around one month from them sending it to me until I receive the funds via Bangkok Bank.

Bangkok Bank is the only Thai commercial bank with a presence in the United Kingdom and Europe and has been in London for almost 60 years. Our London Branch commenced business in 1957 and is authorized by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

The branch provides a comprehensive range of commercial banking services including trade finance, corporate lending, remittances, foreign exchange and deposit accounts. We can also facilitate regular payments to Thailand such as pensions from the UK government or from private organizations. Funds will be transferred securely, quickly and in a cost-effective manner to a Bangkok Bank account in Thailand.
http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/INTERNATIONALNETWORK/INTERNATIONALBRANCHES/UK/Pages/Content2.aspx

2 hours ago, AjarnMartin said:

Thanks for all the very useful information and food for thought, chaps. I shall go into my BB Branch tomorrow and ask about this service. I have both Nationwide and RBS in the U.K. with pensions paid into the former.

Thus far, I have taken money from BB ATMs (one of the better exchange rates) using my Nationwide Debit Card which is FREE (sort of - they charge £10 per month for their Flexplus A/c) and of course the Thai ATM charges 200 ThB for each transaction.

Because of the tragically poor UK:ThB exchange rate, the available amount to draw in one transaction is getting less and less so the option of transferring a more substantial amount for a much smaller fee is very attractive.

I'll keep you posted on developments and once again, many thanks.

Aj Martin

I also have a Flex plus a/c with Nationwide.

I make more substantial transfers than the max daily amount the Debit card will allow and find the transfer through London the safest, cheapest and fastest method.

You should look at the link provided by 'chickenslegs' rather than enquire at your local BKK bank. It's self explanatory.

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/DailyBanking/TransferingFunds/TransferringIntoThailand/ReceivingFundsfromUK/Pages/ReceivingFundsfromUK.aspx 

You can also save the 200 baht charge at the ATM by going to the counter.

2 hours ago, Grubster said:

I did the math and it seems to not be worth the hassle, It looks like about 700 baht in fees for the Bangkok bank method for my $4,400 dollar per month transfer. With my debit card I pay 1120 baht using my home bank and not having to mess around changing things when I visit home. Krungsri bank allows 30,000 baht per draw and I can notice no difference in exchange rate, in fact I can watch the rate and try to catch it on an uptick and getting a bit more. This can backfire but when I see an uptick I do scramble over to get some cash. 

Yes, not cost effective to do monthly transfers.

I only transfer once a year.

Other expats I know transfer every 3 months to make it viable.

The UK government will pay your Pension direct into your Thai bank a/c for free, but they don't give the annual increases if they know your living in Thailand.

It's a different scenario for UK citizens, than for US citizens.

3 minutes ago, Faz said:

Yes, not cost effective to do monthly transfers.

I only transfer once a year.

Other expats I know transfer every 3 months to make it viable.

The UK government will pay your Pension direct into your Thai bank a/c for free, but they don't give the annual increases if they know your living in Thailand.

It's a different scenario for UK citizens, than for US citizens.

I have talked to many Brits who don't get the raises, I would do what ever it takes to keep them unaware of your living here as those raises could add up to a lot, especially if we went through a period of high inflation. I'm glad you are on top of that. I can't believe they do that to their expats at the same time they give your life long paid up taxes to a bunch of immigrants. I bet they get a raise every year. Sorry didn't mean to hit you in a sore spot.  I won't be surprised if the USA follows suit, another good reason to keep my address in the USA.

20 minutes ago, Grubster said:

I have talked to many Brits who don't get the raises, I would do what ever it takes to keep them unaware of your living here as those raises could add up to a lot, especially if we went through a period of high inflation. I'm glad you are on top of that. I can't believe they do that to their expats at the same time they give your life long paid up taxes to a bunch of immigrants. I bet they get a raise every year. Sorry didn't mean to hit you in a sore spot.  I won't be surprised if the USA follows suit, another good reason to keep my address in the USA.

Many UK expats would agree with your sentiments entirely.

I have a UK address :smile:

>>

i tried to send from RBS in uk to BKK bank in london but there was not enough space to put the BKK bank sterling account number that account is located in Thailand

>>

Bangkok Bank in London can give you a special code to use in place of this too long number.  I got one from them following a visit to their London office where receptionist was very helpful.  

Not sure what is a good way to contact them from Thailand.

On 23/10/2016 at 11:38 AM, al007 said:

I also bank with RBS ...I find the best way, at present, is to use Transferwise or XendPay. I also have a Moneycorp account but I find the previous two slightly better. I as others have said, found when I inquired at BB London that with the fees involved other options were better. 

• 2 weeks later...

I got this reply from Bangkok Bank in london, it its very easy if you have online banking in the UK

Yes, you can send, but you need to drop the '826' at the beginning of the number.  When we see 16 digits starting with '101' we know it's the sterling accounts in Thailand and we add the '826' at the beginning.

FUNDS TRANSFER IN GBP TO FCD ACCOUNT.

We remit the funds in GBP, but for this we charge GBP20.00 and there will be an additional charge in Thailand of up to THB500.   

You will need to give your bank the following details:

Sort Code:                   60 93 98 

Account Number:        92 00 20 00 

Credit/transfer to/payee:   [First name & last name of the person receiving the funds in Thailand.  DO NOT PUT BANGKOK BANK]      i.e. Joe Blogs

Reference:              [The Bangkok Bank account number in Thailand] i.e.  10100*******3001

this is the 19 digit account number less the first three digits

Are you in the UK, if so, call us or send us an email and we can see if the funds are here and if they are  in order.  If it's not correctly formatted we will return and you have to start again.  We can tell you what's wrong if that happens.

Takes about 2 hours to get to us.

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/10/2016 at 2:38 PM, Grubster said:

If you keep an address in the UK it will cost you more. As with such an address you will have to pay a local municipal authority tax. This would negate any increases you might get. International tax laws are getting evermore tighter because money launderers. Get found out and they will take back out of your pension. Paid into an FCA by the UK government free of charges does give you some control.

18 hours ago, William C F Pierce said:

If you keep an address in the UK it will cost you more. As with such an address you will have to pay a local municipal authority tax. This would negate any increases you might get. International tax laws are getting evermore tighter because money launderers. Get found out and they will take back out of your pension. Paid into an FCA by the UK government free of charges does give you some control.

So its getting harder all the time.  You really shouldn't have to feel like your cheating if you paid into it all your life and many that have paid nothing are getting the whole lot. I hope the politically correct bleeding heart stuff has run its course.

On 23/10/2016 at 2:24 PM, Estrada said:

Bangkok Bank UK doesn't hold a retail banking license so no, you can't open a retail account there and no, you don't have retail bank account there.

2 hours ago, Grubster said:

So its getting harder all the time.  You really shouldn't have to feel like your cheating if you paid into it all your life and many that have paid nothing are getting the whole lot. I hope the politically correct bleeding heart stuff has run its course.

I agree with you. I was making the point about the reality of the situation, can be being very self harming.

• 5 months later...
On ‎11‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 9:12 PM, al007 said:

I got this reply from Bangkok Bank in london, it its very easy if you have online banking in the UK

Yes, you can send, but you need to drop the '826' at the beginning of the number.  When we see 16 digits starting with '101' we know it's the sterling accounts in Thailand and we add the '826' at the beginning.

FUNDS TRANSFER IN GBP TO FCD ACCOUNT.

We remit the funds in GBP, but for this we charge GBP20.00 and there will be an additional charge in Thailand of up to THB500.   

You will need to give your bank the following details:

Sort Code:                   60 93 98 

Account Number:        92 00 20 00 

Credit/transfer to/payee:   [First name & last name of the person receiving the funds in Thailand.  DO NOT PUT BANGKOK BANK]      i.e. Joe Blogs

Reference:              [The Bangkok Bank account number in Thailand] i.e.  10100*******3001

this is the 19 digit account number less the first three digits

Are you in the UK, if so, call us or send us an email and we can see if the funds are here and if they are  in order.  If it's not correctly formatted we will return and you have to start again.  We can tell you what's wrong if that happens.

Takes about 2 hours to get to us.

exactly what I was looking for thanks for posting