Not accepted on a flight with valid ticket and passport - no visa needed

bermannor

5 minutes ago, IMA_FARANG said:

The rules  for entrance to any particular country and the validity of a passenger's passport are

determined by the country they are entering, not by the airline.

The oligation is on the airline according to IATA rules that if for some reason the passenger is not allowed to enter the country,  that the  airline must remove the passenger that is not allowed to enter that country.

At the airlines expense.

Whuch is why the airline's accountents  insist on the airlines being strict with the rules.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, CNXBKKMAN said:

I would advise your friend to put a complaint in writing to Vietnam Airlines to ask why was she denied boarding when Thai passport holders only need a valid passport for visits to Japan( no 6 month validity restrictions) and also seek compensation. Vietnam Airlines know the entry requirements for Thai passports to Japan but the check-in staff on the day look to have made a mistake.

The requirements for Thai passport holders are the same as for any other nationality entering Japan. e.g. For Japan any national only need a passport valid for the duration of stay.

So there should have been no reason for the Vietnam airlines to be confused or make a mistake.

If the passport was valid until the return date on the ticket she was completely eligible to enter Japan.

Resume so far:

I am as wise as at the start of my post and some posters seem to give misleading information or did not understand what was written.

Correct is, one should always have a passport which is valid longer than 6 months.

then we had the pea counter here who realized, that the validity of the passport was only 4 months. What difference does it make? But still, thank you for your "valuable" contribution.

As soon as I get the E-ticket, I shall contact VA of course.

gk10002000,

you would be surprised how many Thais visit Southafrica I used to work for 15 years in RSA and quite a few South Africans are married to Thais. My neighbor, a Nepali working with me at an university was married to a Thai (family quite rich and she with a masters degree). And every year quite a few family members came for a visit. No, they not visit townships but the National Parks and Cape Town region

Dash, of course she had because a year before, she visited Germany.

You know what an e-passport is?

"A biometric passport, also known as an e-passport, ePassport or a digital passport."

Anthony5, thank you for your deeper research and understanding what is written.

I reached this level also before posting and hope somebody might have been rejected also from a flight with seemingly wrong arguments. Others here are more "lostininterpretations".

Let's see what VA will tell me.

gereatricked, TIMATIC is basically the same as the web links here of KLM UA or Emirates and I don't understand your conclusions of their result.

By the way, are lot of airlines took out Timatic from their websites because it is not always up-to-date.

This thread has gone all over the world with examples of just about every other country and airline except Vietnam Airlines.

It is Vietnam Airlines policy to enforce the 6-month passport validity across the board regardless of who is flying, where they are coming from, where they are going, on what passport or for how long.

End of.

From Vietnam Airlines UK website

Travelling From Vietnam

Passport

A passport is required for ALL international travel. If you're traveling anywhere overseas, even to Canada, the Caribbean or Mexico, you need a passport to board an international flight and to enter any country. In general, your passport must be valid for at least six months after the date you enter a foreign country.

1 minute ago, NanLaew said:

From Vietnam Airlines UK website

Travelling From Vietnam

Passport

A passport is required for ALL international travel. If you're traveling anywhere overseas, even to Canada, the Caribbean or Mexico, you need a passport to board an international flight and to enter any country. In general, your passport must be valid for at least six months after the date you enter a foreign country.

You know the definition of " in general" do you?

in general
phrase of general

1. 1.
    usually; mainly.

I just read in another forum, that a Canadian guy with a Canadian passport was refused boarding a plane to Canada!!!! because his passport was only valid for 4 months. But not sure it was VA. He was obliged to go to his embassy to renew his passport.

That .is what the posting said.

Hardly to believe except from a communist country!

My conclusion and advice to the girl:

"Lesson learnt, never travel with a passport not valid for at least 6 months"!

I also read, VA doesn't reply to any message.

And my travel agent said: standard procedure of most airlines.

Edited by bermannor
spelling mistake

46 minutes ago, Anthony5 said:

You know the definition of " in general" do you?

in general
phrase of general

1. 1.
    usually; mainly.

And generally people with passports having less than 6 months validity get denied passage on Vietnam Airlines.

End of.

...again.

13 minutes ago, bermannor said:

My conclusion and advice to the girl:

"Lesson learnt, never travel with a passport not valid for at least 6 months"!

I also read, VA doesn't reply to any message.

And my travel agent said: standard procedure of most airlines.

I have been working in Vietnam for around 10 years and after some inbound crew members routinely got denied boarding for exactly the same reason, we stressed to all contractors that passport validity needs to be checked to avoid cocked-up crew changes at sea (helicopters are expensive and support boats take too long). The guys were easily rerouted on another carrier (but at more expense) and since there was a high likelihood that they would be using the national carrier, it was easier to get them to ensure crew renewed passports earlier where applicable.

Better to have at least 6 months passport validity and not be at the whim of a misinformed check-in clerk, an airline policy or an immigration regulation.

45 minutes ago, bermannor said:

NanLaew, you made a statement, a source or reference would be helpful.

Thank you!

Post #41. Click on the embedded link (the underlined Vietnam Airlines UK Website).

Or click on the link below

https://www.vietnamairlines.com/vn/en/travel-information/travel-documents/

Edited by NanLaew

12 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Post #42. Click on the embedded link (the underlined Vietnam Airlines UK Website).

Or click on the link below

https://www.vietnamairlines.com/vn/en/travel-information/travel-documents/

This is extracted going through embedded links from the link you provided

https://www.timaticweb.com/cgi-bin/tim_website_client.cgi?FullText=1&COUNTRY=JP&SECTION=PA&user=VN&subuser=VNB2C

/ 24OCT16 / 1349 UTC

paft.gif

Japan (JP)

Document Validity:
- Passports and other documents accepted for entry must be
  valid on arrival.
 - Nationals of Japan are allowed to enter with an expired

passport.
 - Temporary passports issued to nationals of Switzerland must

be valid for the period of intended stay. 

Vietnam airlines.PNG

Edited by Anthony5

7 minutes ago, Anthony5 said:

This is extracted going through embedded links from the link you provided

https://www.timaticweb.com/cgi-bin/tim_website_client.cgi?FullText=1&COUNTRY=JP&SECTION=PA&user=VN&subuser=VNB2C

/ 24OCT16 / 1349 UTC

paft.gif

Japan (JP)

Document Validity:
- Passports and other documents accepted for entry must be
  valid on arrival.
 - Nationals of Japan are allowed to enter with an expired

passport.
 - Temporary passports issued to nationals of Switzerland must

be valid for the period of intended stay. 

Vietnam airlines.PNG

Tony... it is Tony isn't it? Did you read the disclaimer right there on the website?

"This search engine and database is provided and managed by the International Air Transport Association (IATA). You may wish to double-check foreign entry requirements by contacting your local Embassy or Consulate. Vietnam Airlines will make reasonable efforts to include accurate and current information whenever possible, but makes no warranties or representations as to its accuracy or completeness."

"The dogs bark but the caravan moves on."

3 minutes ago, bermannor said:

NamLaew, thank you, a valid argument out of experience.

No problems. I would rather face a check-in clerk or immigration officer with a passport of uncontested expiration date validity rather than front up with less a hope that a litany of extracted and embedded links from the internet will get me through.

1 minute ago, NanLaew said:

Tony... it is Tony isn't it? Did you read the disclaimer right there on the website?

"This search engine and database is provided and managed by the International Air Transport Association (IATA). You may wish to double-check foreign entry requirements by contacting your local Embassy or Consulate. Vietnam Airlines will make reasonable efforts to include accurate and current information whenever possible, but makes no warranties or representations as to its accuracy or completeness."

"The dogs bark but the caravan moves on."

No problems. I would rather face a check-in clerk or immigration officer with a passport of uncontested expiration date validity rather than front up with less a hope that a litany of extracted and embedded links from the internet will get me through.

It is what is posted on the Vietnam Airlines website, and as far as I'm aware the OP held a ticket from Vietnam Airlines, so where they get their information has nothing to do with it.

Vietnam Airlines post on their own website that to travel to Japan a valid passport suffices, yet deny to board the plane because the passport isn't valid for 6 months.

Unless there is a link on the Vietnam Airlines website which says that 6 month validity is required to board their planes, the OP has grounds to sue them.

11 minutes ago, Anthony5 said:

It is what is posted on the Vietnam Airlines website, and as far as I'm aware the OP held a ticket from Vietnam Airlines, so where they get their information has nothing to do with it.

Vietnam Airlines post on their own website that to travel to Japan a valid passport suffices, yet deny to board the plane because the passport isn't valid for 6 months.

Unless there is a link on the Vietnam Airlines website which says that 6 month validity is required to board their planes, the OP has grounds to sue them.

OK. I am sure the OP will let us know if his friends daughter decides that this is a money winning prospect and needs a recommendation for a good Vietnamese lawyer.

"No problems. I would rather face a check-in clerk or immigration officer with a passport of uncontested expiration date validity rather than front up with less a hope that a litany of extracted and embedded links from the internet will get me through."

NamLaem, I wouldn't be sure if that this a good option for a young inexperieced Thai girl on her second international trip. Confronted with a Kwai or Macho at the check-in who says no or njet, what to do?

10 hours ago, bermannor said:

"No problems. I would rather face a check-in clerk or immigration officer with a passport of uncontested expiration date validity rather than front up with less a hope that a litany of extracted and embedded links from the internet will get me through."

NamLaem, I wouldn't be sure if that this a good option for a young inexperieced Thai girl on her second international trip. Confronted with a Kwai or Macho at the check-in who says no or njet, what to do?

Agreed, the chances of getting denied, even possibly in error, are quite high. The infrequent, inexperienced traveler does this at their peril.

It's always wise when your passport is coming up to having only 6 months validity to get a new one but a valid passport with only weeks left or days left is ok for many countries. If you are travelling to one of these countries and might not travel again for a long time you might make the decision to renew your passport when you need it again way in the future. 

It's the travellers own responsibility to make sure they meet all the entry requirements but lots of people don't bother checking and sometimes get a surprise when they can't check-in. 

With so many different nationalities , transit points and destination entry requirements you can't expect the check-in agent or airline staff to know it all but they can check it very easily. It's on their reservation systems. So if you know that you only need a valid passport (because you checked the entry requirements beforehand) when the check-in staff say you can't travel you can prompt them to check, tell them they are wrong. This happened to me with Lufthansa at Manchester . The check-in agent said I couldn't travel and I told her to check. She picked the phone up asked somebody, they checked and all was ok. My check-in was delayed by a minute.

If I had been denied boarding with Vietnam Airlines and I knew it was wrong I would make a complaint in writing and to the relevant Thai government bodies that covers consumers and air travel. If I had booked with a credit card I would see if I could get the payment reversed etc etc. It may take a few months or longer but I would expect a refund at some point. It works in the airlines favour that a lot of people can't be bothered. 

15 hours ago, bermannor said:

I am from the UK and was refused boarding by China Airlines at Amsterdam for a flight to Bangkok because I only had 5 months left on passport. I asked to speak to the check in supervisor and asked if she would check with Thai immigration as I was under the impression it would be ok with a return ticket. Fortunately she was quite prepared to help and phoned Thai immigration who agreed I could board if I had a return ticket.

What many people overlook is the conditions of carriage, I am as guilty as many others in that I just tick the box without ever actually reading the conditions. If anyone feels that should be compensated then at the end of the day it will be the airlines conditions of carriage that will prevail. The claimant would need to show how the airline has breached its conditions of carriage.

A letter to VA asking for some sort of explanation would be some sort of start but if they ignore it or put up some sort of argument you would have to think carefully on how to proceed.

I had a dispute last with BA last year over a ticket refund and although I was on fairly strong ground I still had to take them to court to get a result. Good luck.

Thank you Sandyf,

you are the first post with a similar case like that of the girl.

My travel consultant, a good one, also told me airlines drag cases on and on hoping the traveler wouldn't go to court.

Fortunately, she works in a big international logistics company, may be a recommendation for a good lawyer might be possible.