Thai restaurant in London

alaninlamphun

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are a lot of them but I think you will find nearly all of them cater to the English taste. One thing i find about the main Thai dishes though, Red Curry, Chicken Ginger, KhaoPad etc is that the flavours and sauces are generally pretty similar wherever you eat them,  whatever the price of the restaurant in Thailand or UK. If you are looking for somewhere with plastic stools and super spicy Somtan though i am sure you will struggle. 

You would have to be mad to chase Thai food in London....its overpriced and mostly vastly inferior to anything you can find in any small town in Thailand.

Better to try lots of different cuisines....London is a smorgasbord for foodies!

Learn to cook Thai food. It's not that hard.

The simplest dish to begin with is probably Larb.

Mince some chicken or pork.

Cook it in just enough stock or water so it doesn't burn. Take it off the heat.

Mix it with fish sauce, lime juice, chopped shallots and dried red chilis

Add chopped mint, green onions and cilantro.

Garnish with holy basil and eat with rice.

Edited by BudRight

Here, surprisingly since it's a very old school English pub - https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186338-d2559766-Reviews-The_Old_City_Arms-London_England.html

Proper Thai food, when we lived in London it was a regular haunt. The Thai lady that runs the kitchen will go off menu as well, my wife loved the place.

Good prices too.

Edited by rwdrwdrwd

It is possible to get authentic Thai food at a reasonable price in the UK but you have to be lucky to find it.

Back in 2007 I took my Thai GF, now wife, to the UK to visit relatives, as you do.  My son was working for the RAF, as a civilian, at the time, and was based in rural Lincolnshire.  We explored the countryside there a bit - even visited Skeggy, how sad - but I wasn't really expecting to find any Thai food at any price. However, it was lunchtime and the GF was hungry so we pulled in to the first hostelry that we came across.  This was the local pub in a small village - name forgotten I'm afraid - and there, outside, was a sign advertising Thai lunches.  We weren't expecting much but, amazingly, the landlord had a Thai wife and she was the cook.  Best Thai food since leaving Thailand for the holiday.

Not only was the GF very impressed but also had an extended yakking session so she was very happy that day.

Just goes to show that authentic Thai food does exist outside of Thailand - you just need to find it!

DM

I recall going to a pub near the Marriott Hotel Marble Arch where there was a Thai restaurant. My Thai companion didn't turn up his nose. It was either Harrowby Street or Crawford Place as I recall, but I can't locate it on a map. We also lunched at (I think) one of the Thai Square chain - they have one near Trafalgar Square, and that was certainly the area we were

Thai restaurants all over the UK serve mostly what I describe as Europeanised Thai food, it`s nothing like the standard Thai food served in Thailand and very over priced. 

Better off to go and have a good ruby murray, that`s cockney for a good Indian curry.

If you're ever Southampton way, try Yummy Thai in Southampton. Very unprepossessing, tiny hole in the wall place, very modest in appearance but fantastic real Thai Isaan food. The ladies preparing the food are from Isaan (the last one I spoke to was from Khon Kaen). All the staff are Thai.

Also The Thai Cafe in Shirley, Southampton, once again all Thai expats and Isaan ladies.

My GF rated both but preferred Yummy Thai (she's from Mukdahan herself so likes Som Tam, Larb etc). They'll go off piste if you ask ie they'll make up Prik Nam Plah fresh for you and use Plah Rah in the Som Tam.

On 24/10/2559 at 2:42 AM, smokie36 said:

You would have to be mad to chase Thai food in London....its overpriced and mostly vastly inferior to anything you can find in any small town in Thailand.

Better to try lots of different cuisines....London is a smorgasbord for foodies!

Thank you, but his wife want Thai Food. Not your greasy Fish and Chips. Deep fried in oil fat which is 3 months old.

Using fish that is frozen, freezer burned and not fit for a cat to eat.

On 10/25/2016 at 1:27 AM, Khun Han said:

Yep. This one :thumbsup:. Worth booking though - iit's small and can get busy.

I third this one too. (if that's possible) I've been to Thai 101 a few times and nearly everyone there was speaking Thai and  the food is as local as it gets.

Taste of Siam in Camden/Mornington Crescent is OK too. Especially for all you can eat hot pots. They also give a Thai discount and it has its own Thai supermarket next door.

Edited by alien365

16 minutes ago, bark said:

Thank you, but his wife want Thai Food. Not your greasy Fish and Chips. Deep fried in oil fat which is 3 months old.

Using fish that is frozen, freezer burned and not fit for a cat to eat.

Many thanks for your clownish reply.

I too would not wish to eat deep fried cockroaches in Bangkok.

There is some comfort in that you are safe under your stone.

2 minutes ago, smokie36 said:

Many thanks for your clownish reply.

I too would not wish to eat deep fried cockroaches in Bangkok.

There is some comfort in that you are safe under your stone.

They want information on Thai restaurant. No need to advise about UK home food.

FYI Stone pizza is good.

7 minutes ago, bark said:

They want information on Thai restaurant. No need to advise about UK home food.

FYI Stone pizza is good.

I didn't.

You should read posts more carefully before replying with drivel.

I suggested London has the entire world's different cuisines on its doorstep and that amongst them the Thai food in London broadly speaking is not authentic and overpriced.

Go and troll someone else.

Edited by smokie36

10 minutes ago, SaintLouisBlues said:

Isaan grasshoppers (I think that's what you're referring to) are delicious

I agree on the grasshoppers....a little gulp going down but tasty.

However on this occasion I definitely meant cockroaches....you can find them in stalls in Bangkok....much preferable to fish and chips for some!

3 minutes ago, smokie36 said:

I didn't.

You should read posts more carefully before replying with drivel.

I suggested London has the entire world's different cuisines on its doorstep and that amongst them the Thai food in London broadly speaking is not authentic and overpriced.

Go and troll someone else.

Even though the Thai food is not good, in the UK; That's what they wanted. Not your info.

Next time give them directions only. North,South ..... only.

Trolling on the river.  Not need to try to respond. You gun has no bullets.

2 minutes ago, bark said:

Even though the Thai food is not good, in the UK; That's what they wanted. Not your info.

Next time give them directions only. North,South ..... only.

Trolling on the river.  Not need to try to respond. You gun has no bullets.

I can reply in any manner I choose.

As I said before go and troll elsewhere as you have nothing to offer this thread.

Your poor choice of fish and chip shop in London is your fault too.

I bet you had a lovely time whinging your way around the UK.

I can only hope it was cold and wet.

2 minutes ago, smokie36 said:

I can reply in any manner I choose.

As I said before go and troll elsewhere as you have nothing to offer this thread.

Your poor choice of fish and chip shop in London is your fault too.

I bet you had a lovely time whinging your way around the UK.

I can only hope it was cold and wet.

Never gone there. Only like Thai girls.