Security Insurance, so they call it..

Rhys

Gents,

A friend of mine asked me if it was legal for a school to require a new teacher to put up what sound like a security deposit so he does not jet.. from the school.

This is the first I've heard about it, but if that particular school system has had trouble with teachers leaving because they are PO at the ADM, then I could understand.. the deposit of insurance, as the tells, me they call it.  However, the question remains is that legal?

While digging around on my computer I found this:

Section 10 Under Section 51 paragraph one, an Employer shall be prohibited from demanding or receiving from an Employee a security deposit for work or a security deposit for damage to work regardless of money, other property or suretyship by person, unless the nature or conditions of work require the Employee be responsible for

money or property belonging to the Employer, which may cause damage to the Employer.

Unfortunately, I saved it as a word document and don't have a link to where I got it, but it would seem to indicate that a security deposit would be illegal.  

20 minutes ago, Scott said:

While digging around on my computer I found this:

Section 10 Under Section 51 paragraph one, an Employer shall be prohibited from demanding or receiving from an Employee a security deposit for work or a security deposit for damage to work regardless of money, other property or suretyship by person, unless the nature or conditions of work require the Employee be responsible for

money or property belonging to the Employer, which may cause damage to the Employer.

Unfortunately, I saved it as a word document and don't have a link to where I got it, but it would seem to indicate that a security deposit would be illegal.  

http://www.labour.go.th/en/attachments/article/19/Labour_Protection_Act_BE2008.pdf

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/26/2016 at 2:15 AM, Slip said:

Hi fellow TV members/teachers,

I have a similar issue and was thinking about going to Labour dept. to find out what is the real deal with his. 

As I understand it, the labour protection act clearly prohibits this. Now, that raises two questions: If the labour dept. knows about this and allows it then they are definitely making a mistake.

If the the LD does not read the contract and allows the school to demand it-to a certain extant regardless how they phrase it within the contract-then the school breaches the law the LD/State created.

Could the contract be considered as invalid in such a case? Logic would dictate so but I am fully aware the TIT factor.

please let me know what you think or if anyone had experience (positive or negative) with this before.

Archived