Train Travel to Bangkok

Johnice

I am considering traveling to Bangkok from Chiang Mai by train in January 2017.

My question is has anyone got any advice regarding the best service to use eg the daylight(morning) express or the overnight.

At least with the daylight Express I would be able to see the countryside. Returning to Chiang Mai I would use the overnight Express having seen the countryside.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also info on what services(food and drink) are available and if the train makes any stops for the above.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Johnice

Best place to look for information is seat61.com (http://www.seat61.com/Thailand.htm).

In general, none of the trains will be at a stop for food or drinks. On the day trains (DCMs), they serve a light meal that is included in the ticket price. I always bring additional snacks and water as well. On the overnight sleepers, they have a restaurant car and also will let you order from you room and will deliver it. You can order dinner and breakfast. I haven't ridden the day or night trains in about 2 years but I always loved the khao dtum moo for breakfast. Also, I seem to remember that they don't sell alcohol on the trains anymore though I could be mistaken. 

Good luck on the trip.

David

The best scenery is the first 5  hours from Chiang Mai as you go through the hills so a day train from CM is a good idea. If you do a day train from Bangkok it goes dark by 18:00 and you do the last 2 to 3  hours in the dark, which also seems to take forever when you can't see anything.

1 hour ago, jobin said:

May i carry my own cans of beer onto the train?  Thus avoiding the enforced 12 hour dry spell.

I think you can do that; but unless you have a private 1. class cabin, it would be offensive.

Personally; I would premix 2-3 (1/2 lt.) Cokes with Bacardi.

1 hour ago, jobin said:

May i carry my own cans of beer onto the train?  Thus avoiding the enforced 12 hour dry spell.

Unless things have changed in the last few months the staff are quite strict and will confiscate any alcohol they see. I always try and get first class and then you are out of sight. It is also a lot quieter.

One trip last year we had to go second class and there were some backpackers nearby. It looked like they had pre mixed something with coke and proceeded to get drunk and became very noisy. The staff had to tell them a few times to keep quiet. My wife could hear staff talking and they suspected alcohol was involved, they debated about bringing the police on board at the next stop but the problem resolved itself when they all fell asleep.

Thanks everyone for your comments. Sod that no beer? Not that I'm an alcoholic but in this climate to have to endure a second rate train dry. Pre mixing alcohol and having no ice is a sin. Thank god for cheap air flight.

Edited by Johnice

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone taken the new train service yet? A couple of people I know used it so far and apparently the new trains come with Chinese personnel. Maybe some sort of promo ? New train , workers come free ?? Also they said no restaurant service, not even coffee. Just wondered if anyone else had different experience.