New trains from Bangkok to provinces begins next month

webfact

1 hour ago, Wazza1 said:

You will only get 3 axles (6 wheels) on a locomotive bogie when they have 3 traction motors,carriages and rail-cars (self propelled passenger carriages) will only have the 2 axle (4 wheels) setup. Also they are called Points, Triangles and Wagons, we had a yank loco driver come work for us and was calling back distances using cars, had to take a stick and prod him to call them wagons, that the points were correctly set and they were heading into the triangle to turn the loco. (Cars, switched and Y's)

You are obviously referring to the British system and thank you. You may be unaware but many years ago in N.America "heavyweight" passenger cars/coaches were fitted with 6 axle trucks/bogies. Thus my reference as some of these cars still exist on tourist railroads.

Are they running 100 wagon goods trains yet?:smile:

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, snooky said:

When they wake up and switch to standard guage track, I might try - otherwise too many derailments.  If those are plastic seats, probably to deter the bedbugs that used to ride the trains free.  I remember, not so long ago,  they had to take all the sleepers out of service because of the bugs. 

"....they had to take all the sleepers out of service because of the bugs. .."

Fortunately they've replaced the wooden "sleepers/ties with concrete units on mainlines..;)

35 minutes ago, themerg said:

Do the new trains have Air Conditioning ?

This is what made go from train to plane on CM to BKK route.

They've had air conditioning in 2nd and 1st class cars/carrages for years. Just the 3rd class has the 60km/h aircon system.

Thai railways are for Thais and foreigners who enjoy train travel. If it's convenient and affordable  for you,  get on a plane. There are dozens of towns between CM and BKK that have no airport.

5 hours ago, Card said:

Still doesn't beat the VIP 24 seat Bus service to Chiang Mai, with the 999 service. Clean, comfortable, similar price, can go in daytime (I prefer), includes free lunch, often spare seats, seat choice, can book online, not so much juddering and only a few stops, pleasant staff and most of all quicker - 9.0am start and 7.0pm arrive usually. Maybe not as safe as the train, esp downstairs, but I never had any problems in 11 years.

I know nothing about the safety record of the 999 service.have you ever tried NCA?

http://www.nca.co.th/first_class15m.html

nca1.jpg

nca2.jpg

25 minutes ago, lgking said:

Flying Bangkok to Chiang Mai for less than 1100 THB (round trip)...

https://www.traveloka.com/en-th/fulltwosearch?ap=BKKA.CNX&dt=29-10-2016.31-10-2016&ps=1.0.0#depart

but it's not always convenient to fly such as when you want to take something that will be confiscated by security like more than the allocated allowance for liquids or even if you want to carry something fragile. You can a the NCA guy to put your fragile item in a separate compartment. You would never get that treatment on any airline.

They look great. But my guess is that they will run on the same "schedule" as the regular trains. We jumped on the train to Hua Hin and it took 6 hours, complete with plenty of 15-minute stops between stations in the middle of nowhere for no apparent reason. If they could work out their system first...and then buy the new bling, then this would all mean something.

Or maybe they run on new tracks? That would be awesome!

5 hours ago, Card said:

Still doesn't beat the VIP 24 seat Bus service to Chiang Mai, with the 999 service. Clean, comfortable, similar price, can go in daytime (I prefer), includes free lunch, often spare seats, seat choice, can book online, not so much juddering and only a few stops, pleasant staff and most of all quicker - 9.0am start and 7.0pm arrive usually. Maybe not as safe as the train, esp downstairs, but I never had any problems in 11 years.

You can fly there and return for less then 2,000 bt.  just over one hour ? No stops and eat lunch at home.

Why would anyone take a 10 + hour bus ride ??

4 hours ago, chainarong said:

Where were they made , Singapore had to return their complete set of 36 new rail cars back to u guessed it China due to cracking and MTR HK had bad cracks form after being put into service and returned there's also..................................................:coffee1:

Hey these cracks have all been welded now and delivered to Thailand, so whats the problem?

37 minutes ago, Mike555 said:

They look great. But my guess is that they will run on the same "schedule" as the regular trains. We jumped on the train to Hua Hin and it took 6 hours, complete with plenty of 15-minute stops between stations in the middle of nowhere for no apparent reason. If they could work out their system first...and then buy the new bling, then this would all mean something.

Or maybe they run on new tracks? That would be awesome!

According to Wikileaks, the Thais will try and build a HST to Hua Hin, so you can get there before lunch.

I'll definately try this service one day.

Nowadays I drive but years ago I tried various forms of transport when going up to the boonies. The train was always the least stressful for me, just simply chugging along watching the world go by and being able to get up and go for a walk whenever you felt like it. It was bliss in comparison to waiting at airports or sitting on a bus with Kulap Kenevil at the wheel. Also, the older I get, the more I dislike flying, especially the short hops.

Sorry, just a question, why is it safer upstairs, if a bus falls over for a bit of a sleep, wouldn't it be better downstairs?

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, DrPhibes said:

Ah, but does the CM - BKK Bus have a restaurant car that converts to the party car with disco lights and music after 9pm!

Was one of the highlights of late teen US God daughters trip around Thailand in '13.

Hope to do it again soon after the mourning period lapses.

I am afraid that the "party car" is as dry as if Elliott Ness were  the bartender and has been that way for a couple of years now. I guess there would be no music either so it would just be below average train food to party with.

6 hours ago, bark said:

The Under/Over for the First Derailment is 14 days.

I bet under. But I hope never.

I was going to suggest giving it a month, so see how that all goes, before risking the rail for the following month (only)

22 minutes ago, carlyai said:

Sorry, just a question, why is it safer upstairs, if a bus falls over for a bit of a sleep, wouldn't it be better downstairs?

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

Good question.... my preference would be to pick a seat, with a working seat belt, as close to the C of G as possible

i suppose the upper portion could become a twisted mass of impaling metal, for lower passengers to deftly avoid (seagull style), whilst upper passengers hope to be throw clear, without hitting other vehicles or trees etc

arenthere stats on survivability than anyone can quote

3 hours ago, Wazza1 said:

You will only get 3 axles (6 wheels) on a locomotive bogie when they have 3 traction motors,carriages and rail-cars (self propelled passenger carriages) will only have the 2 axle (4 wheels) setup. Also they are called Points, Triangles and Wagons, we had a yank loco driver come work for us and was calling back distances using cars, had to take a stick and prod him to call them wagons, that the points were correctly set and they were heading into the triangle to turn the loco. (Cars, switched and Y's)

Putting my railway pedant head on, I'm sorry but 6 wheel bogies were quite often used in the UK in the first half of the last century.  Normally under restaurant cars,  which were significantly heavier due to the cooking equipment than normal carriages. The Midland and later the LM S also used them under sleeping cars, some of which remained in service until the 1970s.

M398M_2.jpg

Edited by JAG

You all know what's meant be it bogey or bogie so why bother nit picking. As for bus vs train. Why would I waste a day sitting on the bus when I can go overnight and get a good rest. On the bus you're confined to your seat, the train you're free to move around. Both come with accident risk, far greater risk on the bus IMO.

Why would I bother with riding a bus or a train when a plane takes just 1 hour at a cost of 1k baht?
Flying Udon Thani - Bangkok return in November for 2180THB.

3 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

You are obviously referring to the British system and thank you. You may be unaware but many years ago in N.America "heavyweight" passenger cars/coaches were fitted with 6 axle trucks/bogies. Thus my reference as some of these cars still exist on tourist railroads.

Are they running 100 wagon goods trains yet?:smile:

Ours are 160 wagon trains with 25 tonne axle loads and with Distributed Power Operation. I've never seen any of these 3 axle bogies on passenger coaches,the Ghan, Indian Pacific and Overlander all have 2 axle bogies and they are all head end power too.

Edited by Wazza1

6 hours ago, Asiang said:

You are right, not beaten until you wake up in ICU....

If you are afraid of danger on the roads or on rail, you DON'T travel in Thailand. You could easily get killed just crossing the road to Hualampong, which is far more dangerous than travelling by bus.

At least the VIP buses in Thailand have safety belts which I use - not so the trains. I may change to trains when the super fast inter-city lines are built and the journey becomes much faster, but until then I am happy with VIP buses.

Edited by Card

3 hours ago, anotheruser said:

I am afraid that the "party car" is as dry as if Elliott Ness were  the bartender and has been that way for a couple of years now. I guess there would be no music either so it would just be below average train food to party with.

Hold me closer Ed, it's getting dark...  Noooo!  One of my favorite things to do in transit from CNX to BKK!  Eliot Ness!  You mean this guy?

" Doubts raced through my mind as I considered the feasibility of enforcing a law which the majority of honest citizens didn't seem to want"

That Eliot Ness?  Sure could use him about now in the world...

Edited by DrPhibes

2 hours ago, Wazza1 said:

Ours are 160 wagon trains with 25 tonne axle loads and with Distributed Power Operation. I've never seen any of these 3 axle bogies on passenger coaches,the Ghan, Indian Pacific and Overlander all have 2 axle bogies and they are all head end power too.

Obviously an Australian railroader?  You won.'t see heavyweight. six axle passenger cars anymore, they are mostly all retired except on some short line railroads in U.S & Canada. Transcontinental intermodal trains in Canada  are 4200 meteres max with similar distributed power ,all hauled by 6 axle units..

5 hours ago, tartempion said:

Why would I bother with riding a bus or a train when a plane takes just 1 hour at a cost of 1k baht?
Flying Udon Thani - Bangkok return in November for 2180THB.

It's fun, it's relaxing, it's scenic, it's social, and the night train spares the cost of a hotel for at least one night.  And if you are somewhat young and speak Thai then the curtains come in handy.  Back in the 1980s when I was still young and a "hansom man" I had some great times in the second class sleepers.  And even those trips when the curtains were not so important it was always possible to walk back to 3rd class and hang out with Thais who were drinking and then stumble back up to 2nd class to fall asleep. The problems began arising after the late 1990s when the rail cars finally passed their life expectancy and became somewhat desultory.

11 hours ago, rotorbreeze said:

One question: Is there a train from Pattaya to Bkk's new train terminal?  With the new train is cargo allowed?... I would love to have my Honda Forza on train from Pattaya to Hun Hin to avoid road problems with restrictions on freeway with scooters.  

Not sure what you mean by the new train terminal.

There is a passenger train from Pattaya  into the main railway station in Bangkok and no problem from there to Hua Hin. The train from Pattaya only runs once a day, somewhere around 13.30, I know it passes through Chonburi at 15.20. You would need to check with the station if there is a goods wagon. 

14 hours ago, Card said:

Also, Thai Railways admitted to 148 derailments during 2015 - is that safe???