New trains from Bangkok to provinces begins next month

webfact

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, hobobo said:

Also, Thai Railways admitted to 148 derailments during 2015 - is that safe???

Well, how many resulted in death or injury?

Most were probably a couple of freight wagons being stuffed through stop blocks by rather over enthusiastic shunting. 

14 hours ago, sandyf said:

Not sure what you mean by the new train terminal.

There is a passenger train from Pattaya  into the main railway station in Bangkok and no problem from there to Hua Hin. The train from Pattaya only runs once a day, somewhere around 13.30, I know it passes through Chonburi at 15.20. You would need to check with the station if there is a goods wagon. 

Thanks very much will do research on goods wagon and price for scooter..have great weekend..Ron

9 minutes ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

I used to enjoy the train, as slow as it was. Not interested now they stopped selling alcohol in the restaurant car. Except for getting to and from the airports, it is so cheap and easy to fly now it's a no-brainer.

I just realized that this is Thailand where out of a population of 67 million plus, there are vast numbers of people who cannot afford to fly anywhere and live in towns and villages where often the only connection to the "outside" world is a van, bus or cheap train. Most of them can make the journey without the need for alcoholic sustenance. The air lines exist for those who, like you, need to get to where they are goingnd  faster a with a drink in hand.

Just now, ratcatcher said:

I just realized that this is Thailand where out of a population of 67 million plus, there are vast numbers of people who cannot afford to fly anywhere and live in towns and villages where often the only connection to the "outside" world is a van, bus or cheap train. Most of them can make the journey without the need for alcoholic sustenance. The air lines exist for those who, like you, need to get to where they are goingnd  faster a with a drink in hand.

Faster and much safer. But check the prices, some of the provincial flights are less then double the ordinary bus, not much more than a train or VIP bus. I have had my share of bus crashes too thanks. It was a grand way to travel though, with some nice Thai food and a bottle or two of Singha.

9 hours ago, JAG said:

Well, how many resulted in death or injury?

Most were probably a couple of freight wagons being stuffed through stop blocks by rather over enthusiastic shunting. 

'

The tracks are so bad the trains can't get up to a speed that would be dangerous you could pretty much jog faster than the trains without breaking a sweat. 

32 minutes ago, anotheruser said:

'

The tracks are so bad the trains can't get up to a speed that would be dangerous you could pretty much jog faster than the trains without breaking a sweat. 

The track has been significantly improved recently. I have travelled Chiangmai - Bangkok and Bangkok - Nongkhai  this year. Concrete sleepers, deep ballast and welded rail joints. The main limit to speed are the gradients and curves on the mountain sections . 

Just now, JAG said:

The track has been significantly improved recently. I have travelled Chiangmai - Bangkok and Bangkok - Nongkhai  this year. Concrete sleepers, deep ballast and welded rail joints. The main limit to speed are the gradients and curves on the mountain sections . 

How long did it take? 

On Wednesday, October 26, 2016 at 9:01 PM, JAG said:

Does anyone know if the non air-con 2nd class sleeper trains from Chiang Mai are still running?

As a railway enthusiast I really enjoy being next to the open window listening to the locomotive growl it's way up the gradients in the mountains . Must have been magnificent back in the days of steam!

:smile:

Also, the merchants selling fresh food can get on at the stops. I prefer that to the food made on the train and cheaper.

On 10/27/2016 at 3:15 AM, trainman34014 said:

Those seats look nice and hard for long journeys but a step up from the old wooden seats.

Yes, I was about to say the same thing. Very little padding in either the actual seat or the back and who wants to sit bolt upright on a long journey. There doesn't look to be very much in the way of privacy either if you propose to sleep in the bunk bed above.

On October 28, 2016 at 10:25 AM, anotheruser said:

'

I went on the over niter from Trang to BKK and top speed on my iPad app read 72kph.

On October 27, 2016 at 6:47 AM, ratcatcher said:

Obviously an Australian railroader?  You won.'t see heavyweight. six axle passenger cars anymore, they are mostly all retired except on some short line railroads in U.S & Canada. Transcontinental intermodal trains in Canada  are 4200 meteres max with similar distributed power ,all hauled by 6 axle units..

What road were/are you with. Myself, a 3rd generation CPR.

• 4 weeks later...