Thai youths dig up dog corpses to eat - then find out the animals had rabies

webfact

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe we should use this as a barometer of the country's economic status rather than this Quote 

Its truly amazing the global economy sucks yet Thailand is supposedly firing on all eight cylinders. Read the financial section of the Bangkok English newspaper sometime its just glowing from end to end nothing down everything up expansion everywhere. Makes one feel like their living in Utopia.

2 hours ago, hansnl said:

Digging up a carcass of a dead animal to eat it?

How far gone must you be to do that?

They dug them up quickly of course... just after the buriers left. It's not that hard to understand. Dogs are considered tasty but its illegal to catch/kill/eat them in thailand. So this case here is postmortem poaching. There is no proof the guys were starving / hungry. Me thinks they simply couldnt resist the opportunity and werent aware about the disease its dangers...

Standard procedure is to shoot suspected sick dogs, willy suckers are hard to chase, head along allows Vets to determine if animal has rabbies. Why not take carcass for proper disposal unknown, entire write up a sad joke. Thais,  Koreans, and Filipinos (and maybe others) eat dog meat, usually purchased at markets. Dog meat is usually prepared with spices,onions, and sauces, served with rice. Can't tell it's dog meat until you have developed a taste for it.

1 hour ago, billmichael said:

Some of these comments are very cruel.  Laughing and poking fun at the misfortunes of these poor boys who must dig up dead dogs for food is reprehensible.  Shame on you all who have been so unkind.  You forget that these people are sometimes poor and not educated and are doing the best they can just to live from one day to the next.  I can see why some Thai officials would just as soon see foreigners leave the country.  I am from the USA and I would consider myself a guest in Thailand and would make every sincere attempt to be civil and on my best behavior before the local population.  If one thinks themselves so far above the "common" citizens, why are you even here annoying them with your arrogant ways.  The Thai people do not exist for your pleasure.  When I read this story, I immediately felt bad for these children and hoped they would receive treatment before it was too late.  This is why tourists get a bad name and give the rest of us English speaking people a bad reputation.  His Majesty the King would want his children treated with respect no matter what their station in life.

Oh boy... why dont you put your name and password number here so you can get the Good Farang Award... I would give you a piece of substantial reply if i were allowed to fo do... but i aint. ???

1 hour ago, Gainsbourg said:

Oh boy... why dont you put your name and password number here so you can get the Good Farang Award... I would give you a piece of substantial reply if i were allowed to fo do... but i aint. ???

Have a couple of Cold San Miguel lights and cool down man.

5 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

I thought that as long as you didn't eat the brains or organs from an infected animal (or meat from around the bite area where infection entered body) and cooked the meat thoroughly you were ok to eat infected animals. 

Eating them raw or preparing the meat can be more dangerous though. 

I'm no expert however so I'm probably wrong  

Rare or well done, it sounds like a gruesome idea ! :partytime2:

4 minutes ago, oldrunner said:

Have a couple of Cold San Miguel lights and cool down man.

The part of the (FREE DEMOCRATIC) world where i reside is barely awake so i guess ill stick to croissant and cappuccino. And it pretty cold at the moment so no need to cool fown either.

15 minutes ago, Rajab Al Zarahni said:

Rare or well done, it sounds like a gruesome idea ! :partytime2:

Ever watched a programme called dirty sanchez?

As the name implies, it was a bunch of lunatics egging each other on to carry out ever increasingly extreme acts.

Their actions make this one look like small feed but, I bet it was the same sort of thing going on...

4 hours ago, pritch84 said:

Cut the heads off them??? Hope they were put to sleep first... Nothing surprises me here!

" The welfare authorities went to the area and rounded up many suspect animals. They cut the heads off the animals and buried the corpses. "

Nobody said they were Animal welfare authorities........

22 minutes ago, Rob13 said:

With a big rock and a little effort they could have just easily caught a 'fresh' one in the nearest soi.

That would have been a terribly un-Buddhist thing to do........ Thai society would frown upon such an act.

1 hour ago, pkspeaker said:

maybe not desparate for fodd but desperate for meat.. I have heard about Thai prisoners catching rats sticking and cooking over a fire, when u have no money meat is a delicacy no matter what animal its from..

The first post I've read that has a reasonable explanation (other than pure stupidity) as to why the youths may have dug up and ate buried dogs.

Wild veg is easy to find here (or at least the climbing plant - Morning Glory?), and in coastal areas the poor can net their own fish and dig for shellfish when the tide goes 'out'.   But that wouldn't be possible in Issan, and I doubt the various bugs enjoyed by Thais would provide the same 'satisfaction' as meat or fish.

1 minute ago, bangon04 said:

That would have been a terribly un-Buddhist thing to do........ Thai society would frown upon such an act.

Yes, weird how it seems only dogs are not allowed to be killed or even put out of their misery if sick.

You will get into real trouble if you kick or hit a dog, and even worse if you kill it. 

But its fine to kill everything else, chickens, buffalo, cows, pigs, rats, pigeons, and all the wildlife.  Shoot any wild creature that moves also if fine, even if its an endangered species.  Cut down the forests and concrete over everything with expensive shopping malls and housing estates.  But NEVER EVER dare to kick a dog out the way when its trying to sink its teeth into you leg.

13 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Ever watched a programme called dirty sanchez?

As the name implies, it was a bunch of lunatics egging each other on to carry out ever increasingly extreme acts.

Their actions make this one look like small feed but, I bet it was the same sort of thing going on...

The most likely explanation so far :(.

5 hours ago, Krataiboy said:

Meanwhile, absolutely nothing is done to round up and destroy countless thousands of potentially rabid soi dogs roaming the country. According to the results of a recent survey of dogs in Bangkok, around half may be infected and an estimated 15-20 percent of animals in the provinces could be carrying the deadly disease.

In the coastal resort where I live, there has been a marked increase in the soi dog population in recent years. One reason is the failure of the local authorities to ensure rubbish bins are neither dog-proof nor emptied when full. Another is the fact that well-meaning individuals feed packs of strays, ensuring they stay relatively healthy and can breed unchecked - which is what happens.

In our soi alone several people have suffered dog bites in the last month and we are told the local hospital deals with 20 cases PER DAY

Pure fantasy. If half the dogs in Bangkok were infected; they'd all die within a month. Rabies is as fatal to dogs as it is to people. Unless someone has documented an insanely rapid decline of the soi dog population; this figure is fantasy.

The same goes for the 15-20% figure. It's just not feasible. 

Rabies is a big deal in S E Asia. Vietnam is only outstripped by India in terms of numbers of rabies cases. Rabies now kills more people than Malaria in the region as a whole. But there are not 20 cases a day at any hospital, anywhere in the region. You'd be looking at death rates in the hundreds of thousands and a straight up humanitarian crisis as a result.

As for the original post; rabies in direct sunlight becomes inactive (without a living host) in 1.5 hours at 20-30 degrees. Without direct sunlight it takes up to 20 hours to become inactive. Assuming the dogs had been dead for a day or two before they were dug up - the youths are unlikely to contract rabies. Which is good because vaccinating them 2 days after the fact is a total waste of time. 

How did they cook the dog? Barbecue boiled smoked?

much research on whether rabid meat is a source of transmission and to follow treatment. I wonder if gov not responsible for improper disposal of infectious pathological materiel?

Another example on lack of accountability leads to bad consequences....problem should never have arisen in the first place - poorly managed

5 hours ago, Krataiboy said:

Meanwhile, absolutely nothing is done to round up and destroy countless thousands of potentially rabid soi dogs roaming the country. and an estimated 15-20 percent of animals in the provinces could be carrying the deadly disease.

In the coastal resort where I live, there has been a marked increase in the soi dog population in recent years. One reason is the failure of the local authorities to ensure rubbish bins are neither dog-proof nor emptied when full. Another is the fact that well-meaning individuals feed packs of strays, ensuring they stay relatively healthy and can breed unchecked - which is what happens.

In our soi alone several people have suffered dog bites in the last month and we are told the local hospital deals with 20 cases PER DAY

29 minutes ago, TheSiemReaper said:

Pure fantasy. If half the dogs in Bangkok were infected; they'd all die within a month. Rabies is as fatal to dogs as it is to people. Unless someone has documented an insanely rapid decline of the soi dog population; this figure is fantasy.

The same goes for the 15-20% figure. It's just not feasible. 

Rabies is a big deal in S E Asia. Vietnam is only outstripped by India in terms of numbers of rabies cases. Rabies now kills more people than Malaria in the region as a whole. But there are not 20 cases a day at any hospital, anywhere in the region. You'd be looking at death rates in the hundreds of thousands and a straight up humanitarian crisis as a result.

As for the original post; rabies in direct sunlight becomes inactive (without a living host) in 1.5 hours at 20-30 degrees. Without direct sunlight it takes up to 20 hours to become inactive. Assuming the dogs had been dead for a day or two before they were dug up - the youths are unlikely to contract rabies. Which is good because vaccinating them 2 days after the fact is a total waste of time. 

Agree entirely that Kraitboy's implication that around 50% of Bangkok dogs may be infected with rabies is complete rubbish for the reasons you have pointed out.

Everyone is aware that rabies is a terrifying disease present in Thailand.  But there is no need to vastly exaggerate the problem as per Kraitboy's post - presumably because he hates soi dogs and wants to see them all killed.

Edit - I've just noticed that Kraitboy has removed his original implication that around 50% of Bangkok dogs may have rabies.....

Edited by dick dasterdly