Which is 'friendlier': Ho Chi Minh vs Yangon for SETV/DETV

TLDR: Sightseeing value aside, which is the better embassy to get a Thai tourist visa? HCM or Yangon?

Background: As several other people have experienced here, I got the red stamp in Vientiane. Confusingly, I also got the Blue stamp stating that "next time", proof of income and residence in Thailand would be required, as if, despite having the red stamp, I still can have another entry if I bring documents.

In any case, I'm going to go to either Yangon or Ho Chi Minh because from what I hear, my chances will be better avoiding Vientiane again, and Savannakhet is linked to Vientiane, being a Laos embassy. From what I can tell, Yangon and Ho Chi Minh are two of the best options. Which embassy is a better choice?

Edited by jackspade

6 minutes ago, elviajero said:

I've no idea which is better, but the best alternative to Laos is the Consulate in Penang, Malaysia as they wont require hotel bookings, onward flights etc.

Yep, thanks for the tip. I've come to the same conclusion and just booked my ticket to Penang. ~6000 baht round trip with AirAsia.

• Like 1

I have experience of HCMC. Applying there is pleasant as long as you meet their requirements: flight tickets into and out of Thailand, and (although I was not asked for this) printout of bank statements. I also have experience of Hong Kong. It is super easy there. I have read reports from Yangon that seem positive, but have no personal experience. As others report, Yangon is fine.

• 3 weeks later...
On 15 November 2016 at 1:33 PM, AlGoRhythm said:

Later this week on way to Yangon for an SETV.  Any recent experience out there?  Specifically, what docs are required and how long does it take to process the request?

thanks, Al

There are few reports from Yangon, but expect to have to provide flight and or hotel bookings. Here is the website link listing all the requirements. Based on previous reports, I expect that they will only want the basic requirements, and that the additional requirements probably only apply to Burmese applicants or people with a history of tourist visas in their passport. http://www.thaiembassy.org/yangon/en/services/33445-Tourist-Visa.html