• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They seek them here, they seek them there,

Is it round or is it square?

Is it deep, or is it thin?

Is it spicy or is it bland?

Can you eat it out of your hand?

Is it Dukes, or is it Viva?

It doesnt really matter, its only Pizza!

Come on everyone, back upon your horse, this ones more than  run its course!

10 hours ago, elektrified said:

Went to Dukes this evening as my kid has been asking for days now to go there for pizza. We ordered a 1/2 Italian sausage and mushrooms and 1/2 BBQ chicken pizza. Have to say it really was superb. I noticed a distinct change for the better in the crust. It was thicker and firmer and cooked more than usual on the bottom and was piping hot. Just from what I saw and read on FB, I'll take a guess there may have been a shake up in the kitchen. And as usual, it was cut square. I will agree at this point with NancyL that on orders to eat at the restaurant it is cut square and on "glaab baan" orders they cut it the traditional style. That makes sense now - I think.

I happened to notice an order of about 25 (or more) large pizzas being carried out by staff, so obviously they are still very popular. I'll definitely try the bar that scored 1st place on the FB pizza competition, but most of the places recommended on forums, to me, are not as good as the Dukes. There are a couple of places that do a nice Margherita pizza, but for American style pizza with a variety of choices as toppings Dukes is No.1.

We had the Combo pizza at Dukes Promonada two days ago and we noticed the change. Before we liked the pizza but it was a bit greasy that tended to get slightly soggy in the middle. This time it was actually a bit dry, lacking in sauce but they were very generous with condiments though. We noted it to the waitress and she very kindly had another one made and that one was perfect.

Great service, great pizza, two thumbs up from us. 

Maybe Duke's has different slicing patterns for home delivered pizza vs. in-store pizza.  

Not sure but I think they cut squares in the largest pizzas. 

By the way, each outlet in the chain has slightly different interpretations. Had a hamburger at the Maya branch and it was slightly different from the one I had at the riverside joint 2 weeks ago. 

We need to settle this question of does Duke's cut their pizza into square shapes or pie-wedges once and for all and if the reported difference is related to home delivery vs. in-store consumption or size of the pizza. Does someone want to offer to order pizzas in every size for home delivery AND also go to their restaurant and order pizzas in every size and report on the results?

AND there should   be another comparison of the pizzas at the different Duke's locations.  Is anyone up to the task of going to ALL the Duke's locations and trying pizzas at each one to report if there are quality differences between the different locations.

I'm just simply not up to this task.  I'm too busy trying to keep up with developments at Chiang Mai Immigration (from afar, incidentally), although I could check out Duke's Prom, I suppose.  

25 minutes ago, Trujillo said:

Not sure but I think they cut squares in the largest pizzas. 

By the way, each outlet in the chain has slightly different interpretations. Had a hamburger at the Maya branch and it was slightly different from the one I had at the riverside joint 2 weeks ago. 

A friend and I ordered pizzas at Dukes Promenada yesterday, one small one medium. They were both cut in squares, but cutting a round pizza into squares results in odd shapes on the perimeter, only the interior pieces are actually square. Both pies tasted pretty good.

1 hour ago, ramrod711 said:

A friend and I ordered pizzas at Dukes Promenada yesterday, one small one medium. They were both cut in squares, but cutting a round pizza into squares results in odd shapes on the perimeter, only the interior pieces are actually square. Both pies tasted pretty good.

Whilst mine, from the same outlet, was cut into slices.

Why are you still talking about Duke's ? Can anyone mention an Italian pizzeria in CM , with Italian owners ? We have plenty of them in Pattaya and Hua Hin

Edited by balo

On 10/27/2016 at 6:28 PM, Trujillo said:

Are they still cutting the large ones in squares as if for children? And is it so soggy in the middle that you can't hold a square without it flopping over like a piece of wet fish? 

Flavor has always been there, but crusts of baby-food and cut in squares? Not. 

people have said that flight 52 on loi  kroh makes a great pizza has anyone tried it

The ONLY pizza I ever liked in Thailand was from Duke's...

So when I saw this thread, I thought, "95% it will be about Duke's pizza"

I have to admit, it's probably the best pizza in Chiangmai...

Yes, I am paid 50 million by pizza companies to promote their product....

3 hours ago, balo said:

Why are you still talking about Duke's ? Can anyone mention an Italian pizzeria in CM , with Italian owners ? We have plenty of them in Pattaya and Hua Hin

Arcobaleno in Watkate, excellent authentic Italian food prepared by a first generation Italian chef, their pizza's are more Italian style rather than the Dukes American style.

4 hours ago, cmtg1 said:

people have said that fli sght 52 on loi  kroh makes a great pizza has anyone tried it

Yes i have and i thought it was very good and they will do a half and half pizza for you as well. Just a bit of a weird place with incongrous decor and waitresses dressed as air hostesses. 

Edited by rogeroc

FInally what I was looking for , Flight 52 get some decent reviews .  I will check them out. 

8 hours ago, chiang mai said:

Arcobaleno in Watkate,

The Italian owner has passed away and this review unfortunately is not a good one : 

The place is very good in all aspects except the food is not quite up to scratch. A very good and honest attempt at replicating Italian food, but unfortunately the gentleman who started the business passed away some years back & is now in the hand of his wife & kids

Edited by balo

1 hour ago, balo said:

FInally what I was looking for , Flight 52 get some decent reviews .  I will check them out. 

The Italian owner has passed away and this review unfortunately is not a good one : 

The place is very good in all aspects except the food is not quite up to scratch. A very good and honest attempt at replicating Italian food, but unfortunately the gentleman who started the business passed away some years back & is now in the hand of his wife & kids

I didn't know he had died, we've been going there for the past twelve years and the food has been consistently good or better, it's one of our favorites although not necessarily for pizza.

17 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

I didn't know he had died, we've been going there for the past twelve years and the food has been consistently good or better, it's one of our favorites although not necessarily for pizza.

I too have been going there for many years and enjoyed the food immensely until one day maybe 3-4 years ago it came to crashing halt. The first disappointing meal arrived followed by a string of disappointing meals. I will never go back.

The first time that I ever went they head waiter told us the story of the family and the people who now run it. How could you NOT know that the owner had died

8 minutes ago, logon1 said:

I too have been going there for many years and enjoyed the food immensely until one day maybe 3-4 years ago it came to crashing halt. The first disappointing meal arrived followed by a string of disappointing meals. I will never go back.

The first time that I ever went they head waiter told us the story of the family and the people who now run it. How could you NOT know that the owner had died

"How could you NOT know that the owner had died"

Because nobody ever told us and the head waiter didn't tell us the same story he told you! I'm sorry, in the future I'll make point of asking all head waiters if there's any news  they want to share with us, just so I stay up to date on these things. :sleepy:

27 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

"How could you NOT know that the owner had died"

Because nobody ever told us and the head waiter didn't tell us the same story he told you! I'm sorry, in the future I'll make point of asking all head waiters if there's any news  they want to share with us, just so I stay up to date on these things. :sleepy:

so in 12 years of going there and never seeing the owner who's picture is plastered all over the restaurant you never asked about this invisible man. you never got curious. you just ordered ate paid left ?

20 minutes ago, cmtg1 said:

so in 12 years of going there and never seeing the owner who's picture is plastered all over the restaurant you never asked about this invisible man. you never got curious. you just ordered ate paid left ?

Is the correct answer. Oddly, we go there for the food and as a rule tend not to get involved asking questions about the owners and their families at restaurants we patronise, call me odd if you like but that's just me!

Edited by chiang mai
grammer

2 hours ago, chiang mai said:

Is the correct answer. Oddly, we go there for the food and as a rule tend not to get involved asking questions about the owners and their families at restaurants we patronise, call me odd if you like but that's just me!

2 hours ago, chiang mai said:

Well let me understand. You have over twenty two thousand contributions CM so you must have some sense of curiosity about what goes on around you. You've asked probing questions in many of of your 22,166 postings and you contributions while not being apocryphal show a degree of awareness SO how after eating in the same place for a dozen years  are you not the east bit curious about who is responsible for putting food in front of you. Do you spend the entire time looking down at your smart phone.

46 minutes ago, jonwilly said:

Arcobaleno is good.

Everyone have their own standards of how good Italian food should taste I guess.  I lived in Milano for 3 months and I still remember the amazing pizzas I had there. Will let you know if I will ever find the same in CM .