No fireworks at New Year - expect candles nationwide, say TAT

webfact

No fireworks at New Year - expect candles nationwide, say TAT

p2.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Tourism Authority of Thailand is moving ahead with plans for a mass candlelight vigil for New Year.

The change in the celebration follows the death of His Majesty King Bhumibol Adulyadej on October 13th reports Daily News.

Previous years fireworks have been used after the countdown for the new year but candles will be used to usher in 2017 as it will be more respectful.

TAT director Yuthasak Suphasorn said that he had instructed his deputy to contact business owners in the Rachaprasong area of Bangkok (the RSTA) to find a way to make the celebration work.

He said it was necessary to get this sorted as soon as possible as tour companies needed to make plans well in advance..

Other areas of the capital will follow suit such as at Asiatique and Sanam Luang as well as big upcountry celebrations in Phuket, Chiang Mai and Sukhothai. 

The TAT are liaising with all tourist hotspots to put the plans in place.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-10-28

Friendly reminder

In using Thai Visa you agree to abide by the following terms:

1) You will not express disrespect of the King of Thailand or any one member of the Thai royal family, whether living or deceased, nor to criticize the monarchy as an institution.

By law, the Thai Royal Family are above politics. Speculation, comments and discussion of either a political or personal nature are not allowed when discussing HM The King or the Royal family.

To breach these rules may result in immediate ban.

Linking to external sites which break these rules will be treated as if you yourself posted them.

Forum Rules: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/terms/

//Admin

1 hour ago, brain150 said:

I would imagine that tour companies will have a hard time finding anybody to celebrate new year with candles.

Maybe we just go sleep early and forget about new year altogether.

The one's looking for partying an piss up perhaps.

Have other events been cancelled? Such as the Elephant Round up? The Monkey feast? The mass lantern release? The lotus throwing  festival? And what about the Phuket 9 gods festival next October?  And the Bun Bang Fai? will all these events be stripped of music, noise and fireworks. These events are the main reason I  here in Thailand. Is there anywhere we can get this information? And if the celebrations will be cancelled or ammended does anyone have suggestions for alternative countries?

2 hours ago, brain150 said:

I would imagine that tour companies will have a hard time finding anybody to celebrate new year with candles.

It's worked for me for 20+ years.

In AA, we have a name for New Years Eve.   We call it amateur night.

4 hours ago, brain150 said:

might be a heavy night for the fire brigade though

My wife called a luxury hotel in Rayong advertising room + compulsory New Years Eve Gala Dinner. 10,000 Baht.

She asked of there was entertainment.

Reply: "yes of course."

So, she asked for more details... live music, party, fireworks?

"no. but we will be playing soft jazz music"

Yeah! 10,000 baht for that?

Stay home. Buy a nice steak, bottle of red wine ... enjoy with a few friends for a 1/3 of the price.

Fair enough they can't give live entertainment but why the extraordinary high prices?

Edited by petedk

6 hours ago, Seizetheday said:

If I was a betting man I would bet that when TAT see how much tourism has decreased over the Xmas period they will allow certain designated areas to have a traditional New Year Celebration.

Too late, the decision was announced today, the reaction will be clear within the week. It will be based on today's decision. Subsequent changes of mind will have no effect. 

1 hour ago, petedk said:

Fair enough they can't give live entertainment but why the extraordinary high prices?

Because they'll probably be booked solid and turning people away even at that price.  

That's what they're in business for- to maximize the profit for their shareholders.  Their optimum price is one that has their customers wincing and griping, but enough of them signing up anyway.  I don't like it either, but they're doing the prudent thing.

1 minute ago, impulse said:

Because they'll probably be booked solid and turning people away even at that price.  

That's what they're in business for- to maximize the profit for their shareholders.  Their optimum price is one that has their customers wincing and griping, but enough of them signing up anyway.  I don't like it either, but they're doing the prudent thing.

I understand what you mean but, how many people will pay the usual New Year's Eve rates for a quiet meal?

Just now, petedk said:

I understand what you mean but, how many people will pay the usual New Year's Eve rates for a quiet meal?

We'll find out if they drop the price between now and New Years Eve because they don't have enough takers at the 10,000.  Or raise it because they're going to be turning people away.  New Years Eve is a weird one to figure from outside the industry.

1 hour ago, petedk said:

My wife called a luxury hotel in Rayong advertising room + compulsory New Years Eve Gala Dinner. 10,000 Baht.

Those compulsory New Years Eve Gala dinners need to be taken off the menu. If a visitor wants to attend one they can buy a ticket, but forcing people to pay for something many aren't interested in is a ripoff.

Surely ushering in the New Year with celebrations and lighting up the sky with fireworks, would be a good way to celebrate the life of a truly remarkable man, rather than dwell on the sadness of his death. Life and achievements should be celebrated, not hidden under a cloak of darkness!

I don't understand people who don't accept and respect this decision..... I am French and I personally understand it. Please don't come to Thailand and stay at home if u cannot understand this culture, traditions and exceptional circumstances.... sometimes i am sorry and not proud to be occidental .....

It's going to be a nice quiet Christmas ....if they figure a way to disconnect the internet services and cable TV for the week , people will head back to the older days and have real table side conversations as a family over a simple dinner

I'm from the industry and have skipped every gala dinner I can for years ! This year in Thailand will be a quiet one for all ....those looking for a staycation should find some deals by calling the hotel direct to secure a reservation at a good price point

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

14 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Is this what the average Thai person wants or is this going a tad overboard. Just a thought. 

No disrespect intended.

i heard a rumour that cheering at the upcoming football international against australia has been banned. satire surely?