The official new Macbookpro thread.

anotheruser

My first observation is the price is expensive even by Apple standards. In the USA it starts at $1,799 for the 13 inch model with touch bar and 256 GB storage with 8GB RAM. Up that to 512GB storage and 16GB you are looking at $2,199. Those are American prices so you know it is going to be more here.

For the 15 inch and have your cake and eat it too it going to be around 100,000 Baht it looks like or a bit more. $2,799 USA price for the 512 model.

Also I now need a dongle to charge and sync my iPhone? I am guessing a new charger using lightning to USB C will come out?

So nothing new the normal dilemma of trying to justify the purchase to myself. For these prices though it should double as a car that flies. 

What your current macbook model?

Apple Store thailand has the new 13 inch with 8 gig and 512 storage listed at 74,900 baht but its not available yet. This is the same one you are talking about right? Same price as USA just have to wait a minute. 

http://www.apple.com/th-en/shop/buy-mac/macbook-pro/13-inch

Touch Bar and Touch ID
2.9GHz Processor 
512 GB Storage

• 2.9GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 processor
  • Turbo Boost up to 3.3GHz
  • 8GB 2133MHz memory
  • 512GB PCIe-based SSD1
  • Intel Iris Graphics 550
  • Four Thunderbolt 3 ports
  • Touch Bar and Touch ID
฿74,900.00

17 minutes ago, anotheruser said:

My first observation is the price is expensive even by Apple standards. In the USA it starts at $1,799 for the 13 inch model with touch bar and 256 GB storage with 8GB RAM. Up that to 512GB storage and 16GB you are looking at $2,199. Those are American prices so you know it is going to be more here.

A maxed out 13" from the US website is $2899, thats top processor, 16 ram, 1tb solid state etc, top option. 

My early 2015 13" is 16 gig, 1tb, fully maxed out option macbook was 90,510 baht from the apple store Thailand. 

24 minutes ago, anotheruser said:

So nothing new the normal dilemma of trying to justify the purchase to myself. For these prices though it should double as a car that flies. 

So worth it though. Everytime I wait a few years, then upgrade to a new mac, I cringe so hard when purchasing, but when it finally comes, its so worth it, and I know its going to work for years after. 

Couldn't imagine using a $500 PC anymore. 

105,900 for the 15 inch with 512 memory. Not clear how the graphics cards compare as they seem different from the American store. No upgrade buttons available but the upgrade to 1 TB is $600 and 2 TB is $1,400 in the US store. So add at least 21,055 or 49,129 Baht if they give it at exact USA prices. Noew upgrade the processor and add another $300 which is 10527 Baht.

You have a fully upgraded 15 inch MBP for 165,554 Baht. 

Bear in mind those upgrades are all at American prices Thailand is always more expensive than Apple's prices in the USA.

Maxed out in the USA store it came to 150,683 Baht. So if you think prices are on parity you are only kidding yourself.

Edited by anotheruser

At the Apple call center they said they are waiting for permission of some authority before it could go on sale in Thailand. Anybody has more information on that?

I've been waiting for the new Pro to replace my over 7 years old one, don't want to be in the end of the queue of orders from the rest of the world.

On 10/28/2016 at 4:46 PM, anotheruser said:

Bear in mind those upgrades are all at American prices Thailand is always more expensive than Apple's prices in the USA.

Maxed out in the USA store it came to 150,683 Baht. So if you think prices are on parity you are only kidding yourself.

Not always so, also if you were buying in the US and using say Can $  or other currency exchange, it not true, so rather a pointless answer....

On 10/31/2016 at 3:32 PM, recycler said:

At the Apple call center they said they are waiting for permission of some authority before it could go on sale in Thailand. Anybody has more information on that?

I've been waiting for the new Pro to replace my over 7 years old one, don't want to be in the end of the queue of orders from the rest of the world.

Well, I do not have more information on that unfortunately (as I called them as well and was told the same thing) but just to let you know that you are not the only one in this situation.....

It is extremely frustrating to be waiting on the new Macbooks to be released just to learn that you are not able to buy them locally on release date due to some missing official approval. 

My dying Early 2011 Macbook Pro will not last much longer....:-(

C-Net's review on the new Macs was not flattering, to say the least: 

https://www.cnet.com/news/apple-microsoft-macbook-pro-surface-studio-creative-professionals/

The new Macs are great if you just can't live without an emoji bar or a dozen different dongles to connect devices you didn't need before. No SD card slot, but you can get yet another dongle to make a memory card reader work with Macs. 

Firstly, the MBP price is very close to the US price. The difference is VAT which is included in the Thai price.

I have a late 2009 which will be replaced with the 13" MBP with 16G as RAM can not be expanded. The SSD is user expandable so I will order the 256G and worry about expansion later.

21 hours ago, TomnearCentral said:

Well, I do not have more information on that unfortunately (as I called them as well and was told the same thing) but just to let you know that you are not the only one in this situation.....

It is extremely frustrating to be waiting on the new Macbooks to be released just to learn that you are not able to buy them locally on release date due to some missing official approval. 

My dying Early 2011 Macbook Pro will not last much longer....:-(

I'm on a mid 2009 13" Pro, still working OK, but the alumina on the edge is almost trough from daily use. I want a bigger screen and some more speed.

18 hours ago, Lammbock said:

I will hold on to my current MacBook Pro and see if there is any positive development next year.

It is just to early to say goodbye to USB3 and SD CR. :post-4641-1156693976:

I think that was the gist of many of the negative reviews for the new MBP.  They said the negatives outweighed any positives for an upgrade.  Someone buying their first MBP would have a more difficult decision to make:  older tech with USB & card reader or newer tech without.  i.e. Dongles vs no dongles.

I think a better option if budget is an issue would be to go for last years MB pro. This would save a lot of money and the specs are not a great deal different but you would still have the ports available. Obviously this is not good if you want the new tool bar option.

Like I've said on other threads I have the early 2011 (13") upgraded to SSD and it is still a great machine, more than enough for my needs.

On October 31, 2016 at 8:32 AM, recycler said:

orders on the new Pros are now available on the thai apple website!

Waiting time is 4-5 weeks tho 

Edited by Jonathan99

31 minutes ago, Jonathan99 said:

Not necessarily correct if you ordered early enough once it was possible....;-)

I guess I was one of the first "crazy" ones to place an order today around noon for a maxed out 15" and I suppose to get it within 2-3 weeks. Will see how it goes but if past experience is anything to go by I should have it more before the end of this month.

5 hours ago, TomnearCentral said:

Not necessarily correct if you ordered early enough once it was possible....;-)

I guess I was one of the first "crazy" ones to place an order today around noon for a maxed out 15" and I suppose to get it within 2-3 weeks. Will see how it goes but if past experience is anything to go by I should have it more before the end of this month.

oh lucky you , I guess they had tons of order for it to be pushed to 4-5 weeks.. 

anyway congrats , that 15 inch look so sleek , did you get the space grey?

and maxed out you mean you went for the 2tb storage?! :D

Edited by Jonathan99

7 hours ago, Jonathan99 said:

oh lucky you , I guess they had tons of order for it to be pushed to 4-5 weeks.. 

anyway congrats , that 15 inch look so sleek , did you get the space grey?

and maxed out you mean you went for the 2tb storage?! :D

Yeap, I went for the space grey and by maxed out I in deed meant that I also got the 2TB storage. I know, I know....it is actually crazy to pay that much money for a new computer but as I am really professionally depending on it and plan to keep it again for at least 5 to 6 years I wanted to be as "future proof" as possible. On top of that I had already two 1TB SSD's in my Early 2011 Macbook, so I was not really prepared to settle for less....;-)

So worth it though. Everytime I wait a few years, then upgrade to a new mac, I cringe so hard when purchasing, but when it finally comes, its so worth it, and I know its going to work for years after. 

Couldn't imagine using a $500 PC anymore. 

Used to feel that way myself. Less so now having had a 2011 maxed out 15" MBP first suffer a HDD failure (replaced under Apple Care) and, more recently, a GPU failure requiring a main board replacement (thankfully again replaced under one of the Apple "Yeah we sold you a crap product" extended warranties).

Given the prices, Apple sticking with Skylake processors in these is a bit hard to swallow as is the need for dongles!

For the first time in ages I'll be considering non Apple next time round.

Sent using Tapatalk

20 hours ago, Jonathan99 said:

Just ordered, should be delivered between 15 and 19 December, price is about 10,000 Baht higher than Singapore or US, but for the Thai keyboard I wouldn't want an English only version.

• 3 weeks later...
On November 10, 2016 at 9:52 AM, recycler said:

Just ordered, should be delivered between 15 and 19 December, price is about 10,000 Baht higher than Singapore or US, but for the Thai keyboard I wouldn't want an English only version.

Do note that the prices on the US apple website are before tax which is about 200-250$ USD usually , so the difference is not that huge 

Edited by Jonathan99

On 03/11/2016 at 3:46 PM, gjoo888 said:

The new Macs are great if you just can't live without an emoji bar or a dozen different dongles to connect devices you didn't need before. No SD card slot, but you can get yet another dongle to make a memory card reader work with Macs. 

On my Macbook I like to use my usb-c dongle to connect my floppy drive... i mean.... jaysus....  a memory card slot.  :saai:

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like it is a sales hit so far:

In the short window of five days, the Big A has hustled more MacBook Pro devices than all XPS 13 and 15 models Dell has sold over the last 10 months, according to digital analytics firm Slice Intelligence. The iPhone-maker has also pushed four times as many units as Microsoft’s flashy new Surface Book.

http://thenextweb.com/apple/2016/11/09/macbook-pro-apple-sales/