Thai man who carried out brutal sex attack on American tourist has sentence slashed

rooster59

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mr Apai then found Ms Gavios as she lay helpless. He then proceeded to sexually assault her, before praying next to her only to then finally go and get help.

My late lunch just fell out of my stomach after reading this,......holy shit. If that would have been my sister, I'd have a chat with the guy. I hope she'll have a speedy and full recovery.

8 minutes ago, yellowboat said:

He looks as though he will be right at home in prison. 

Its always sad when people are judged by their appearance :(.

In this case, the man has admitted to the attack that left a woman in a terrible state (and clearly has mental issues that mean he shouldn't be allowed out for decades) - but that's no excuse for basing someones' character on their appearance.

1 hour ago, Pib said:

Pretty much standard legal practice in Thailand for most crimes....admit guilt and the sentence is reduced by half. 

It happens in the UK too.  Plead guilty, show (fake) remorse and get a much lighter sentence.  

It's SOP to keep the courts and prisons emptier.

1 hour ago, Pib said:

Pretty much standard legal practice in Thailand for most crimes....admit guilt and the sentence is reduced by half. 

You've got to admit it's a good way to get confessions and cut down on court time.

1 hour ago, Anthony5 said:

Misinterpretation of the writing in the OP on my part, or wrong formulation on  the part of the journalist, who will say.

The man, Apai Ruangwong, 28, was sentenced to 10 years in prison for the attack on Hannah Gavios in September.

Wait, this is a good catch. I always thought that if you had a case going forward, if you plead guilty you would get half of the potential sentence.

What is the point exactly of pleading guilty AFTER you have been found guilty for a reduction of sentence (for the state)?

It does say this:

Originally sentenced to 10 years in prison, Mr Apai’s sentence was reduced to a maximum of 5 years after he pleaded guilty to obscene behaviour and carrying out the attack on Ms Gavios.

Then it explains that both sides have 30 days to appeal this.

1 hour ago, jingjoke said:

Krabi-Sex-Attacker-Gets-His-Sentenced-Halved.jpg

Disgusting beast and disgustingly lenient sentence. Fate was not kind to  Ms Gavios to have encountered this depraved guide.

Looks like he just dropped out of the trees - knuckles still dragging on the ground.

Just now, Artisi said:

Looks like he just dropped out of the trees - knuckles still dragging on the ground.

His appearance is irrelevant and actually distasteful.

If he was a handsome man would that have somehow made the crime less severe? Should an ugly man get a longer sentence?

7 minutes ago, tropo said:

If he was a handsome man would that have somehow made the crime less severe? Should an ugly man get a longer sentence?

Think you might have missed the point. 

14 minutes ago, tropo said:

Less attention in jail, perhaps? 

13 minutes ago, tropo said:

Can't speak for the lady, but I bet it could be a factor in the nightmares she'll probably be having long after smiley gets released. 

2 hours ago, Anthony5 said:

But is it normal that this halving comes 2 months after the initial sentencing?

Yes, if they change the plea. 

Otherwise she would have had to come back to give evidence at trial. This is also a standard practice in the west and his sentence would probably have been 3 years, out in half that on parole. 5 years is fair. 

1 hour ago, DM07 said:

It may be according to the law- but what terrible law, is this?

Section 78 of the Criminal Code.

Section 78 - Whenever it appears that there exists an extenuating circumstance, whether or not there be an increase or reduction of the punishment according to the provisions of this Code or the other law, the Court may, if it is suitable, reduce the punishment to be inflicted on the offender by not more than one-half.

Extenuating circumstances may include lack of intelligence, serious distress, previous good conduct, the repentance and the efforts made by the offender to minimize the injurious consequence of the offence, voluntary surrender to an official, the information given or the Court for the benefit of the trial, or the other circumstance which the Court considers to be of similar nature.

Just one of the many terrible laws in the land - Some of which are enshrined with the sole purpose of maintaining the socio-political status quo, some more recent ones appear to be simply made up on a whim, and some often wildly misinterpreted...

Note how the Criminal Code, by saying "the Court may, if it is suitable, reduce the punishment to be inflicted on the offender by not more than one-half" is interpreted in a way that the sentence must, suitable or not, reduce the punishment by exactly half.

9 minutes ago, gandalf12 said:

Throw him over a cliff, eye for an eye and all that.

No, not my view at all.

I do not believe in vengeance or vigilante "justice" but sentences should be appropriate to the seriousness of the offence. 

5 years for a sexual assault on a victim who suffered horrific injuries that will take months, if not years, to recover from is ridiculous. 

The original sentence of 10 years was, for me anyway, still too lenient.  

Scum like this are a danger to all women and society needs protecting from them. 

2 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

No, not my view at all.

I do not believe in vengeance or vigilante "justice" but sentences should be appropriate to the seriousness of the offence. 

5 years for a sexual assault on a victim who suffered horrific injuries that will take months, if not years, to recover from is ridiculous. 

The original sentence of 10 years was, for me anyway, still too lenient.  

Scum like this are a danger to all women and society needs protecting from them. 

I can respect your point of view but no matter how long the sentence is, if he gets out chances are he will do it again. Why keep trash like this, they are a blight on society.

Edited by gandalf12

This is Thailand, the place where you get 10 years for murder, and 20-100+ years for what would be considered comparatively minor crimes elsewhere. Just look at the Dutch guy who got 103 years for 'annoying some Thai officials'.