Quality used vehicle from a dealership

Grumpy Old Man

I'm looking to add a quality used vehicle to the household, I personally would like to get a pickup and my wife is wanting a family size saloon car, putting that aside does anyone have experience buying a quality used vehicle from a dealership ?

I'm looking at the normal brands in Thailand being Nissan, Toyota, Honda, Mitsubishi and Isuzu; under three years old.

I don't seem to see any quality used cars at dealerships like you would in the UK unless they are hidden outback.    

• Dealerships to deal with in Chiangmai or ones to stay away from ?
  •  What sort a warranty is normally offered at a dealership ?
  •  What sort of discounts can I expect for a cash buy ?
  • Is there a method to check car history HPI and insurance / accident ?

Any help or advise will be of great help

Thailand Toyota it's not normal Brand. Even if compare with another Toyota.

soof it's import Toyota - it's fine and maybe good car. But of its Thailand Toyota it's big chance car with trouble. 

Warranty for second car  start from 5000km and/or one month.

but normally near 10000-20000 km and 6-12 month. but it's not full waranty in many dealership.

On Chiang Mai price much more than in Bangkok( in my opinion).

Better go buy in Bangkok.

car history you can't check

just go and full test. Now in many parts of car  can see how many KM. So clean Full km in all parts car , not only on ODO need be very professional and it's costing.so not many do it.

About accident 

can be seen on the painting. any person who has at least a little bit in this . How I know  in the contract for sale (even when giving a preliminary deposit) there is an item that was not in the car accident or drowned. at this point my friend returned the money in the past year.

Best regards.

And wish lucky. 

In Thailand not easy find car in good condition if it's not premium car and more than 2 years old.

There must be a Toyota Sure in Chiang mai,they sell quality Toyota vehicles and give good warranty.All vehicles are younger than 3 years old id i recall right.

You may pay a little more but you buy a vehicle with full Toyota dealer history and good service.There are Toyota Sure's all over Thailand.

It is part of the Toyota network.

46 minutes ago, Dmaxdan said:

You could checkout Expat Auto in Chiang Mai. I have never used them myself, but I believe they have with a good reputation, with the added bonus that they speak English. They have a website - expatautocm.com

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

I bought a car from them 6 months ago, they state they check the car for 300 different points, I had to take it back the day after they delivered it  because I couldn't open the fuel cap, lights not working, electric window not working and clutch squeaking . They gave me a 1 month warranty and soon after that it developed faults with air con, it's only 4 years old and low mileage. Not impressed with them at all.

1 hour ago, jvs said:

There must be a Toyota Sure in Chiang mai,they sell quality Toyota vehicles and give good warranty.All vehicles are younger than 3 years old id i recall right.

You may pay a little more but you buy a vehicle with full Toyota dealer history and good service.There are Toyota Sure's all over Thailand.

It is part of the Toyota network.

Toyota Thailand and good service its do different thinks.

never have good service from Thailand Toyota.

And last news about Chiang Mai Toyota service . Car go for service change oil. But Toyota  give back car  with old oil.

28 minutes ago, ardokano said:

Toyota Thailand and good service its do different thinks.

never have good service from Thailand Toyota.

And last news about Chiang Mai Toyota service . Car go for service change oil. But Toyota  give back car  with old oil.

I have no idea what you are talking about,i never had reason to complain about Toyota service.You sound a little bit strange.

I think the OP should check it out and draw his own conclusion.

In Rome. do as the Romans.

So I bought a used Isuzu MU7 on the insistent advice of my Thai wife

80000 km, 4 years old, 580 k, half the new. As said above, I had to go in Bangkok garage to get the right price

Power chip installed by the dealer Isuzu himself, and go!

60,000 kilometers later I am delighted with this purchase for the following reasons:
  - Works seamlessly. Vehicle nervous, thanks to the chip.
  - Isuzu  Service is incredibly efficient, inexpensive and ubiquitous.
  - Thais people love this brand they see as own.
  - The 7 official places are just enough sometimes.
  - Large wheels allow cross ruts without difficulty.

Note that if the second hand market is higher than in the West, maintenance and renovation costs are far below, thereby balancing.For example, complete paint at last spring, 21 k in a small workshop near Doi Saket .

:smile:

21 hours ago, jvs said:

I have no idea what you are talking about,i never had reason to complain about Toyota service.You sound a little bit strange.

I think the OP should check it out and draw his own conclusion.

I have no idea what about you talking ,but toyota service cant  even normal paint,   Have video  on FB from Thai there Chiang Mai Toyota give back car   with old oil,forgotten about mounting such a ceiling, after replacing the windshield.

dirty finger prints after "service" from Toyota. And many another small thinks.

PS

I do not know your standard about quality,

But if  compare the service of  china Toyota and Thailand Toyota 
  Thailand Toyota service can not be called good.

And yes its up to  OP, but please do no need say not true  as " full Toyota dealer history and good service. "

because you do not know its be good service for car sell as second hand or not good.

9 hours ago, happy Joe said:

In Rome. do as the Romans.

Be yourself Do not become a slave to other people's prejudices.:smile:

But about Isuzu not bad good offer.

But i think about Dmax.

Ps

OP do not say any about budget.

for some budget can buy New car/ truck.

or can buy car still on warranty.

43 minutes ago, ardokano said:

I have no idea what about you talking ,but toyota service cant  even normal paint,   Have video  on FB from Thai there Chiang Mai Toyota give back car   with old oil,forgotten about mounting such a ceiling, after replacing the windshield.

dirty finger prints after "service" from Toyota. And many another small thinks.

PS

I do not know your standard about quality,

But if  compare the service of  china Toyota and Thailand Toyota 
  Thailand Toyota service can not be called good.

And yes its up to  OP, but please do no need say not true  as " full Toyota dealer history and good service. "

because you do not know its be good service for car sell as second hand or not good.

Well we are not in China are we?I will not go in further discussion with you because it is not about us but to help the OP.

My experience with Toyota in Thailand has always been very good,i will leave it at that.

Thank you for all the advise and ideas with regards to my post, I now have plenty to help me out !

I'm setting myself a max budget of 750,000 Baht to get a vehicle on the road; I just have to decide on the style based on the proposed use.

Thanks again for all the help !

3 hours ago, jvs said:

Well we are not in China are we?I will not go in further discussion with you because it is not about us but to help the OP.

My experience with Toyota in Thailand has always been very good,i will leave it at that.

Well, I do not know what's good for you. may the fact that the car was returned to you is good.
It does not matter does  China  or not China. China is an example . Follow  Standards Toyota that I have met in other countries this is not good service.
  And I have the Photo, video and audio confirmation of everything. including replies from support Toyota service head office. Toyota 7 times in the last 1.5 years took on the repair of their mistakes.
Total  more than 2 months my car stay in  3 different dealership service center for fixed they mistake. Every time they accept have wrong to do and take car back.

SO please do not give wrong information for OP i do not think its can be helpful for him.

if a person is accustomed to good service such as Toyota in other countries, it will be disappointed, as me.

I bought because that Toyota knew that with a new car 2-3 years and even had is a problem, Toyota quickly fixed them.
  but unfortunately Thailand Toyota exception to the rule.

1 hour ago, Grumpy Old Man said:

Thank you for all the advise and ideas with regards to my post, I now have plenty to help me out !

I'm setting myself a max budget of 750,000 Baht to get a vehicle on the road; I just have to decide on the style based on the proposed use.

Thanks again for all the help !

for this is budget you can buy new truck.

Toyota, Isuzu or Mitsubishi

I personally do not like truck. but it is an option.

and  of course you can buy  some small salon car .

Second hand from dealer it real expensive and not far from new car in this is category car. 

Wish luck  with any car you choese

My understanding is that Thai people do not sell their car so soon unless you are super-rich; once they buy a car, they tend to keep it at least for ten to fifteen years.  That means two-year-old second handed cars were sold to dealers or to whoever it was because they had found some mechanical problems or had a crash.  So I would try to find one in classified ad sales in English papers.  Of course you’d better make sure sellers are not Thais.

3 hours ago, khonlanna said:

My understanding is that Thai people do not sell their car so soon unless you are super-rich; once they buy a car, they tend to keep it at least for ten to fifteen years.  That means two-year-old second handed cars were sold to dealers or to whoever it was because they had found some mechanical problems or had a crash.  So I would try to find one in classified ad sales in English papers.  Of course you’d better make sure sellers are not Thais.

1.Now even not superich change car after 2-3 year

2. Can sell because have financial problems.

The trick to buying a late-model used car here is to find one that has had as little service as possible, beyond fluids and maybe brakes. Anything more substantial and there's a good chance the work was done poorly or with junky replacement parts, even at a dealer. The parts and service sections of car dealerships are notoriously corrupt.

For a mostly untouched car, a guideline for price should be new cost minus depreciation. With a car that's been serviced, you would have to further discount for any repairs or replacenents-- kind of counterintuitively--which most sellers will resist. Seller says new steering rack? Assume you'll have to redo it. Wheel bearings? Alternator? 

For older cars with a lot of repairs in them already, you just really have to inspect very closely.

5 hours ago, Puwa said:

The trick to buying a late-model used car here is to find one that has had as little service as possible, beyond fluids and maybe brakes. Anything more substantial and there's a good chance the work was done poorly or with junky replacement parts, even at a dealer. The parts and service sections of car dealerships are notoriously corrupt.

For a mostly untouched car, a guideline for price should be new cost minus depreciation. With a car that's been serviced, you would have to further discount for any repairs or replacenents-- kind of counterintuitively--which most sellers will resist. Seller says new steering rack? Assume you'll have to redo it. Wheel bearings? Alternator? 

For older cars with a lot of repairs in them already, you just really have to inspect very closely.

True but a problem is that very few of us are competent to make such an inspection.  Do you per chance know of a mechanic who could do it for a fee?  I ask because you have posted helpful specific suggestions about a variety of automotive and other issues.  Thanks.

Unfortunately, I don't have a person or shop to recommend. If you already have a decent mechanic, that' a good starting point. The forum sponsor that fixes cars for expats can probably help too.

But here is my own Thailand-specific checklist.

1) tires, matching size and wear, recent date codes. tires deteriorate faster in tropics, and most tires here are made locally.

2) wheels, beware aftermarket alloys, so common here, usually lower quality than original wheels and added only for looks. if oversized, check to see if correct spacers and bolt lengths used.

3) wheel bearings. a favorite place for mechanics to economize.

4) steering linkages. cheap replacement bushings and ball joints might last only 25% of original lifespan.

5) shocks and springs. never buy a lowered car unless you know exactly what you are looking at. Lowering changes the suspension geometry, stressing it differently and requiring additional adjustments. Cheap lowering springs are never good. most lowered cars drive terribly.

6) accident damage. pop the hood and look near where the radiator is mounted for a line of 1/4" holes spaced 8" or so apart. these were drilled by a body shop to pull the panels, frame or unibody back into alignment. Check trunk too.

7) engine. no lpg conversions. what matters most is the compression-- basically, how tightly the cylinders are sealed. any mechanic can do a "leakdown" test to check each cylinder's compression. low compression means internal engine work needed. as for engine cooling, japanese manufacturers have gotten really good. brittle plastic in the engine bay may be a sign of previous overheating. disreputable garages will sometimes remove a temp sensor to mask chronic cooling problems. 

8) electrical. not really a shortcut, but a note. for any weird bugs, check the fuses, which should be rated by amperage (eg 8, 15, 25, 50) depending on the circuit, but i find local mechanics to be unbothered by such niceties.

9) overall. just because a manufacturer uses a same model name and badge you know from back home, don't assume it's the same car. somwtimes the differences are minor, like different trim options. often the engines and transmissions available in the local market are just the cheapest ones. Brakes might be smaller, rear may have drums not discs. 

What strikes me when I write this is what a pain in the ass it is to buy a car.

If I was in the OPs position Id probably head to the nearest Toyota Sure dealership.  The have a very good warrantee with their used Toyotas.

On the servicing side, Toyota in the old city have done most of the servicing on a Toyota Vigo that the missus drives.  I have never experienced any bad service or customer relations with this branch.  All replacement parts are genuine and the old parts are always given back upon completion of the job.  Maybe other branches have a different work/customer ethic?

Ive never seen poor workmanship from this branch and they certainly do not leave a 'mess' in the vehicle after they complete their tasks (ie oily finger marks on/around the vehicle).

I would suggest ardokano may bring out the worst in people hence his run of bad luck with Toyota :sorry:    Id be interested to hear of others who have had similar 'bad luck' with Toyota servicing.  Funny how its one of the most popular brands in Thailand, with the majority of stall vendors using the Vigo's as their daily 'workhorse'.

Shop around.... I know of 2 Toyota Sure dealerships in Chiang Mai, and Im sure there are more.

Gd luck

never buy from a dealer. go to kaidee and look for second hand cars there. buy from an owner hopefully someone who originally bought the car and can tell you the history of the car. its all about luck sometimes. expect to pay for maintenance or replacing of normal wear and tear as soon as you buy the car. Change engine and transmission fluids.

dealers are all scammers. they dont care about the cars they sell cause they not gonna be using it anyways. quick turnaround money. anything to patch up cheaply. 

japanese cars that are common on the road are your best buy. plenty parts around is absolutely essential. any good mechanic can maintain and replace standard parts. if you are looking to buy a european car, only look at benz or bmw. plenty of talended mechanics around to maintain these two brands. stay away from Audi and VW. Benz models easily maintained are w123, w124 and W210. bmw models easily maintained are e30, e46, a lot lower than your budget. japanese trucks generally hold a very high value and are very sought after. you could also possibly get a nice not too old Fortuner with that budget.  or older CRV. Number one thing to make sure is no major accidents on the car. open and close all doors and they should shut intact and sound similar between all doors.    like puwa mentioned buying a second hand car could turn out a nightmare or a very good experience. ive had my share of dilemma and a lot money lost. we learn from experience. then again what gurantee can you have that a new car you buy does not turn out to be a defect? google problems of malaysians who bought brand new volkswagons. 

dont worry about high mileage. if the car has done many kms and still drives well, possibly been taken care off. as long as parts are available and not too costly, who cares. high mileage might indicate its a trusted machine to be used!!

Edited by tigerbeer
added more bitchin.

just to add, dont think going back to dealerships is the best thing to do about maintaining your car. they do standard stuff and will probably try to sell you a battery first thing they do. then tell you stories about bacteria in your air conditioning system etc etc etc. get to know the car you drive. read about it. many forums about every model out there. buy your own engine oil and go to your trusted mechanic to have it changed for you. buy the shock absorber brands that have good reviews. dont leave it to dealerships to tell u if the car you drive is ok or not. how do you know if the oil change actually took place? were you there? oil filter was changed? 

sorry to sound like a pessimist but the world we currently live in is pretty f*&*ed up at the moment. 

53 minutes ago, tigerbeer said:

just to add, dont think going back to dealerships is the best thing to do about maintaining your car. they do standard stuff and will probably try to sell you a battery first thing they do. then tell you stories about bacteria in your air conditioning system etc etc etc. get to know the car you drive. read about it. many forums about every model out there. buy your own engine oil and go to your trusted mechanic to have it changed for you. buy the shock absorber brands that have good reviews. dont leave it to dealerships to tell u if the car you drive is ok or not. how do you know if the oil change actually took place? were you there? oil filter was changed? 

sorry to sound like a pessimist but the world we currently live in is pretty f*&*ed up at the moment. 

I have paid for 5 new cars since moving to Chiang Mai to live.  In my experience with those vehicles I have not experienced anything like you mention.   That is just my experience - others, including you, certainly could have had different experiences.  However, I think there are probably many more acceptable experiences than negative experiences.  We do not normally hear about the good experiences.

Hml367 I agree with you 100%.  I've never come across bad servicing with authorised dealers.

But then I'm not stupid when it comes to checking on what's been done. Maybe they (The service people) pick up on that.  I tend to think that some branches have more integrity than others. And maybe it is luck of the draw.  If I'd had a raw deal then I'd move on to a new outfit and tell at least 10 others not to use the bad place.