Ok , I Don't Need A Visa For A 4 Week Holiday, But...

Hiya all,

I have heard that i don't need a visa for a 4 week holiday to Thailand. Just my passport. But are there any circumstances that either the Thai government or the Australian Government lay down, whereas i will need a visa. For example: criminal record?

Any help of links to references that i can make absolutely sure that my 8 hour plane ride wont be all that my holiday will be?

thanks heaps..

You don't need a tourist visa if you stay up to 30 days.

When you're in the airplane you've to fill in an immigration form. I think there are questions on this form is about your criminal record or a serious medical problem. Thai immigration might refuse you to enter if you lie or if they think you're a danger for the country (because you've a criminal record).

I don't know any other reason why they might refuse you a 30 days stamp.

Edited by kriswillems

Saying you don't need a visa is not correct, actually,

you do need a visa, but you get a 30 day visa upon entry in the country, say at the airport when you go through customs, that's why they check your passport, they could I suppose refuse you entry.

Once, my passport was full, they said they couldn't find a single place to put another stamp, they took me aside, and very officially told me that since there was no space left they were refusing me entry, I was shocked and pretty nervous, I insisted I thought there was still room, so they looked again and finally found some room to squeeze in one more stamp.

When you're in the airplane you've to fill in an immigration form. I think there are questions on this form is about your criminal record or a serious medical problem. Thai immigration might refuse you to enter if you lie or if they think you're a danger for the country (because you've a criminal record).

I don't know any other reason why they might refuse you a 30 days stamp.

Man, this seems to be a gamble. Isn't there a way of checking before i make the trip?

ok, lets be honest, i will bear my soul. I have a criminal record for assault back in 2003. what do i do? do i tell them or cover it up? will they refuse entry based on an old conviction like this?

It's not America i want to go to after all.

Saying you don't need a visa is not correct, actually,

Actually it is correct. Those from 40+ countries that receive a 30 day stamp at airport without a prior visa are visa exempt and allowed entry without a visa for that period of time. There is another list of some 20 countries that can obtain a visa on arrival (VOA) which requires application/photo and payment and allows a 15 day stay.

Man, this seems to be a gamble. Isn't there a way of checking before i make the trip?

ok, lets be honest, i will bear my soul. I have a criminal record for assault back in 2003. what do i do? do i tell them or cover it up? will they refuse entry based on an old conviction like this?

You do not have to disclose this record, neither will you be asked. The immigration officer has no way to check unless you would be on an international warrant for arrest.

The arrival/departure card (TM 6) just asks for basics, name, details signature.

Yave a look on the card-sample here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...hl=new+tm6+form

Those from 40+ countries that receive a 30 day stamp at airport without a prior visa are visa exempt and allowed entry without a visa for that period of time. There is another list of some 20 countries that can obtain a visa on arrival (VOA) which requires application/photo and payment and allows a 15 day stay.

Yes , i read this somewhere that all these countries made a "pact" in regards to what you are saying.

I was thinking of going to Hawaii for a couple of weeks before Thailand, but the USA says, that i need a "real" visa because i have a criminal record.

I was wondering, and i suppose the whole point of this post is to find out if Thailand has the same view with those of us naughty people with CR. havin said that, i am straight now, but once you have been branded , it sticks.

All i want to do is hop off the plane and travel around and spend my dough. I no how important it is not to " get angry" :o in Thailand.

So do you think i am worrying too much? Should i just go and be cool? :D

TY

If the assault was not in Thailand I can't believe the Thai authories will know anything about it. If it happened in Thailand there might be records on the computer and if you absconded from your punishment I think there is a good chance they might pull you aside, if it was settled and you wern't banned from reentry I think you have a good chance.

There are no questions on the Immigration arrival form currently in use that ask about criminal records

You do not have to disclose this record, neither will you be asked. The immigration officer has no way to check unless you would be on an international warrant for arrest.

The arrival/departure card (TM 6) just asks for basics, name, details signature.

Yave a look on the card-sample here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...hl=new+tm6+form

Thanks AXEL , you have put my mind to rest. It is a simple card.

My overreacting :o was caused by my investigation last night of going to Hawaii.

Cheers, and thanks to all.

Thailand, here i come. :D

WAZZA

Sydney

The arrival card (TM6) doesn't mention the "criminal activity/drug related activity/medical record" (anymore?). Maybe the old version did? Or does the custom declaration form mention these things? I don't know where I get it from, it might be from a trip to another country.

If there's nothing on the paper or you just fill in that you've no criminal record, you'll be fine.

The arrival card (TM6) doesn't mention the "criminal activity/drug related activity/medical record" (anymore?). Maybe the old version did? Or does the custom declaration form mention these things? I don't know where I get it from, it might be from a trip to another country.

If there's nothing on the paper or you just fill in that you've no criminal record, you'll be fine.

The custom declaration form was done away with a couple of years ago...

TH

Really?

I'll go to Thailand on Sunday and we've to declare some personal housekeeping stuff because we'll move to Thailand next year. My wife called to customs and we don't need to pay import tax but we need to declare the things. How do I do that if there's no form?

Really?

I'll go to Thailand on Sunday and we've to declare some personal housekeeping stuff because we'll move to Thailand next year. My wife called to customs and we don't need to pay import tax but we need to declare the things. How do I do that if there's no form?

Maybe you just walk through the "Something to declare" door, or maybe (he he) you walk through the "Nothing to declare" door and save the hassel and predictable request for tea money.