Steps to prevent drop in rice price

rooster59

5 minutes ago, merlin2002 said:

The army should take all spoiled rice currently stored in warehouses, and dump it in the yard of YL's main residence... Afterall she is responsible for the mess..:smile:

What has Yingluk got to do with this years harvest which is still in the ground ?

45 minutes ago, Denim said:

What has Yingluk got to do with this years harvest which is still in the ground ?

Yingluck's brother's rice-scheme screwed the Thai rice-growing industry long-term, not just for the few years it was actually running, and failing-to-deliver.

Too much land was switched-over to rice-growing, the warehoused-stocks built-up & are still slowly being run-back-down, the former reputation of Thai-rice was blown internationally, the court cases against the G-to-G scamers are still proceeding, it ain't over yet !

As many posters said, at the time she stepped-down, the industry would be suffering from their big-idea for several years more.

And now we're being proven right.

On 30/10/2016 at 11:15 AM, adhd said:

thai economics at its best

if the price drop of something, just go subsidize it...

why not say:  less rice farmers ?

ah, always nice to play santa claus to a special interest group with other people's money, and you always cn keep a big handful for yourself

quote "why not say:  less rice farmers ?" 

Will YOU be the one willing to go around every rice farmer and decide who can plant and who cannot? Having made your decision what will you say to the families whose livelihood and life you have just destroyed.

Tough sh1t old man. We dont want or need you to be a rice farmer any more. Find something else to do or just starve, I dont care. If you cant pay your debts that will be your problem.

Now get out of the way of my Benz as I am off back to my air conditioned office and sexy secretary.

18 hours ago, fruitman said:

Why do the Thai still plant rice by hand, this is how the rest of the world grows crops...

It would be nice if Thai farmers had enough ;and to justify buying those monsters.

Have you any idea of the cost to buy the cheapest one, running costs, maintenance costs, break even costs. spares etc. All of those farm vehicles would need to be imported so there will be customs duty and vat to pay on top.

Then look at the average rice farmers income after paying the debt and interest if they can?

Perhaps then you may understand why they plant by hand.

Having said that there ARE rice harvesting machines but they are generally owned by a contractor who will rent the rig and crew out for a price. This of course put the older hand planting and picking crews out of work and causes more hardship in the villages.

I have to say that the Commerce Ministry has finally got this right by targeting their efforts on supply, distribution, promotion and expanding customers. I just hope this is not a text book exercise but real efforts on the ground.

Still this is only short and maybe medium term solution and no way near a long term solution. If Thailand still harbour the fixation in policy of being number in rice export then we can expect subsidies for the unforseeable future. Thailand will face more competition from lower cost rice producers like Cambodia, Mynmar and Vietnam who grow Hom Mali too. Then you have the big elephant in the room that is India and their Basmati rice which is challenging Thai rice. 

I feel that Thailand should lower their expectation to be number one, diversify the crops, more government loans for mechanization, more training and merge farm lands to be more efficiency and productivity. We have record tourists and new sources of attractions may be found in Homestay projects which allow the farmers to earn some Baht during off seasons.