Life with the farang abroad - no bed of roses, says German's wife

webfact

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I live in Germany with my Thai wife, she does not work, does not need to. She knows that prices are expensive, she has travelled around Europe a lot and been back to my home in the UK, but she knows where to buy what she needs, you do not just go to one supermarket to get things you have to shop around. 

I had a visitor from Thailand during winter in Sweden once (business) and he was dismayed because all the things he had heard in school and Thai news where apparently true! The west was completely barren and destroyed by pollution, there was no snow at this time, just the wintry barren landscape of southern Sweden to watch.

So I asked "What do you mean?",

he replied don't you see? all the trees and plants have died!

On the other hand I asked a University graduated work colleague here in Thailand once what is the Moon? He couldn't answer other than it was a big object coming up in the sky once a month, he had actually never reflected on what it might be, it was just there as a part of life, that's all.

Edited by AlQaholic

49 minutes ago, trainman34014 said:

They are brainwashed to believe that the streets are paved with gold and that we are all millionaires.  

When i fist took my Mrs to Britain and we were there for three months it was the biggest learning curve she had ever been on in her life.  Upon return she smashed the dreams of dozens of her old friends who all expected her to be telling them it was paradise there !

For some its not paridise but if they are willing and have the drive they can make a great life abroad.  my wife set up a small accounting  business in Melbourne Australia  and has 5 employees and wants to expand.  She grew up in Chai Nat near Nakon Sawon, the daughter of a rice farmer who put her through Uni.  We met in chiangmai own a house and travel to and from every 3 months.   A thai lady has far more options and oportunities abroad than a farang does in thailand 

7 minutes ago, beano2274 said:

I live in Germany with my Thai wife, she does not work, does not need to. She knows that prices are expensive, she has travelled around Europe a lot and been back to my home in the UK, but she knows where to buy what she needs, you do not just go to one supermarket to get things you have to shop around. 

My wife shops in the vietnamese markets gets everything she wants even thai products at great prices

4 minutes ago, AlQaholic said:

I had a visitor from Thailand during winter in Sweden once (business) and he was dismayed because all the things he had heard in school and Thai news where apparently true! The west was completely barren and destroyed by pollution, there was no snow at this time, just the wintry barren landscape of southern Sweden to watch.

So I asked "What do you mean?",

he replied don't you see? all the tress and plants have died!

Sounds like they're taught about the evils of acid rain

1 hour ago, trainman34014 said:

They are brainwashed to believe that the streets are paved with gold and that we are all millionaires.  

When i fist took my Mrs to Britain and we were there for three months it was the biggest learning curve she had ever been on in her life.  Upon return she smashed the dreams of dozens of her old friends who all expected her to be telling them it was paradise there !

One of the things I noticed in Britain was how all the Thai wives compared things - size of house, was it owned or mortgage, did she have own car, did she have designer handbags and nice clothes, how often did she get presents like jewelry and perfume, did she have a cleaner or the laundry sent out, how often did they eat out, house work did the husband do and the classic "how much salary / pocket money" did hubby provide.

They all seemed to think marrying a farang entitled them to an easy life or being the trophy wife of a rich man. Even when reality hit them they didn't want to change. The other favorite was on realizing they had to earn was to ask hubby to buy them a business in which he paid the costs and they kept the earnings! 

44 minutes ago, thai3 said:

Trouble is a lot of them lie to save face and others believe them. My mrs keeps telling me her relative earns 100k baht a month working in a Post Office in the UK, every time I try to find out where this office is there is never any info. It's well known that waitresses earn even more!

OMG, I have trying to tell some people this for 10 years!  I have a "friend" who is sure his cousin?, an illegal, works in the US, chopping vegetables in a Thai restaurant, gets free room and board, and makes $2K a month cash!! 

This person makes pretty good money here, and works maybe 20 hours a week, at a job with some prestige,  but always thinks this is his back up plan if he needs money or things go wrong in life.  It doesn't matter that he has never entered a kitchen either, you just chop vegetables ...free room and board so even a cheap estimate ... approx $36K a year for an illegal totally non-skilled worker???

So she lives in Taunusstein, surely she can find Thai or Asian shops in Wiesbaden, Mainz or even in Frankfurt am Main.

She has 4 kids, so where is the Child Benefit? she gets the following (pasted and copied)

You will receive a monthly payment of EUR 190 per child for the first two children, EUR 196 for the third child and EUR 221 for every subsequent child.

Edited by beano2274
added

1 hour ago, thai3 said:

Trouble is a lot of them lie to save face and others believe them. My mrs keeps telling me her relative earns 100k baht a month working in a Post Office in the UK, every time I try to find out where this office is there is never any info. It's well known that waitresses earn even more!

Not working in a post-office, but doing post-office jobs, with a sawn-off shotgun & a balaclava-hat ? :smile:

And no income-tax, either !

True its the same everywhere. we all hve problems n issues to work with no matter where u r. find the person u really love n work on making the best out of life for yourselves no matter where u r. dont just think of wanting to depend on someone else.

16 minutes ago, prakhonchai nick said:

If thats a picture of the girl, she looks like jail bait to me. 4 kids???

Friend of mine is with a girl that was GRANDMOTHER at age 33... TIT. Her daughter delivered at 16 (becoming pregnant at 15). And she delivered daughter at 17. "When nature calls". 

But. Not all thai ladies same of course. Other friend married much younger girl who works hard 6 days a week! She makes more money than him! Treats him with respect, genuinely loves him as she was treated like shxt by the thai male cuz she's black skinned. And no she is not from isaan just unlucky to be dam. Abroad shes considered cute and lovely. 

1 hour ago, JAFO said:

I can only laugh. 

When my wife(GF at the time) decided to go back to the US with me she was initially excited. After being there 3 months and me back at work full time she took it on herself to look for employment. At first she was happy as there wasn't any discrimination about her age. She went to work with a Thai we had met at a Temple in Fremont. She owned a restaurant/catering business. She worked a lot and her first check was crushed after she saw how much taxes they took. Then when she started to add it all up she found that after gas in car and other costs that she was taking home very little. She, like the gal in the OP, found it very hard to find certain spices and herbs and when she did had to pay a premium. She made due. 

In the end I am glad she had this experience. As she has told many of her friends while we were there, do not believe all of what you read on the internet or see in the news. Its very very expensive to live in America and you work a lot and make very little. She absolutely freaked when she saw what they took in my check. 

She is very happy to be here.

To bad she learned that lesson. I know many in the USA and other countries who work hard and make a lot of money. Sometimes they go to a University to do this and others go to a good trade school and make well over 150K per year. They raise children with real values and work ethics and have a great live.  In their spare time some grow amazing spices and vegetables too!!  

Here in Norway statistics shows that Thai and Philipino women are the most likely of all foreigners to be working, with an emplyment rate allmost on par with 

their Norwegian sisters. It is simply expected that after learning Norwegian (there is a compulsory, free language course of minimum 300 hours they must complete if they want perman et residence and later citizenship). 

is to get a job. But due to lack of education the Thai mostly end up in cleaning jobs. 

Now my wife is working for the local council, cleaning schools full time (7,5 hours a day), and for that she is paid around 330 000NOK which is around 1,4 million baht a year. Sounds like a dream right?

But rent (and we are lucky to get it that cheap, as the landlord is a relative): 35000 baht a month.

She bought a car, and took a 500 000 baht loan to buy a 10 year old VW Tauran... the bank wants 11000 baht a month in repayments

One papaya costs 600 baht

the truth is that Norway is so expensive that two incomes is needed to survive. 

She is obviously just disappointed having thought that life would be a bed of roses. I can only speak from my own experience with my Thai wife we have been together for over 10 years and for half of that we have lived in Europe. Before we moved to Europe I told her that she might not like it as it is very different and should we go to live there that we must give it two years before we decide on staying or returning to Thailand. We decided to stay because of the quality of life and opportunities for our children. She sometimes comments on the cost of things here and often finds that things are in fact cheaper. Yes some Thai food/spice does cost more but again that is true of any imports. 

As far as I am concerned the advantages of living in the UK far out weigh anything we would have anywhere else and we can spend school holidays away in the sunshine which we do at every opportunity. 

And to add to it all nether one of us has to report 90 days or report where we are going to stay. We have the freedom to go/live where we want. Yes life is good but it is what you make it. 

IMG_2796.jpg

2 minutes ago, Gimbo said:

Here in Norway statistics shows that Thai and Philipino women are the most likely of all foreigners to be working, with an emplyment rate allmost on par with 

their Norwegian sisters. It is simply expected that after learning Norwegian (there is a compulsory, free language course of minimum 300 hours they must complete if they want perman et residence and later citizenship). 

is to get a job. But due to lack of education the Thai mostly end up in cleaning jobs. 

Now my wife is working for the local council, cleaning schools full time (7,5 hours a day), and for that she is paid around 330 000NOK which is around 1,4 million baht a year. Sounds like a dream right?

But rent (and we are lucky to get it that cheap, as the landlord is a relative): 35000 baht a month.

She bought a car, and took a 500 000 baht loan to buy a 10 year old VW Tauran... the bank wants 11000 baht a month in repayments

One papaya costs 600 baht

the truth is that Norway is so expensive that two incomes is needed to survive. 

Very true and that is also why we choose to live in Thailand. Here we both still work, but have much higher buying-power and can even save money.

1 hour ago, mcfish said:

Well she could always go back to what she probably did when she met the German unless of course she was a uni graduate in which case she could apply for whatever she is qualified for

I did not know bar girls needed a uni degree, just shows I'm getting old  :shock1: