Do you feel safe when you are in public?

stuck

Does a metal detector make you feel safe?  

86 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 hours ago, MANFROMBOCA said:

SAYS WHO ??? BESIDES YOU ??. most terror attacks happen in europe and the uk

I'd prefer the U.K. over the U.S. not only did you lose over 3000 in one terror attack, which is more than the U.K has ever lost since the end of WW2  you also seem to have daily mass shooting in malls and schools.

Contributors keep referring to "terrorists", but who are we actually talking about? At an international level Thailand is inconsequential; frankly, what other countries or terrorist groups would care enough about Thailand or its resident population to want to create havoc or any level of fear here?  Local "fear", then is left to consider the potential of (1) unrest in the south, (2) individual loopies with an imagined axe to grind or, (3) organised groups with easy access to adequate weaponry - military or police authorities. As far as police-planned terror is concerned I'm only familiar with collection days on the nation's highways organised by local constabulary (a cheap thrill at best, rather than fearsome). Although a regular national military organisation in the developed world is normally used to protect its citizenry and physical assets from outside aggression, I'm not aware of any instances in Thailand's history as a democratic country where the military has been used as an organised force for such exemplary noble purpose.  I believe the last such exercise of Thai military power outside its own borders was a small, symbolic representation for a short time in the US-Vietnam war.  What sort of terrorism are we supposed to "fear"? And from whom?

21 hours ago, stuck said:

My son and I entered the stationery store.  There is no guard, no wand.  The entrance to Tops has no guard, no wand.  Having a sense of security, where there is none, is dangerous.

There is a uniformed guard and a metal detector as you enter Terminal 21 mall from the BTS station and it always goes off when I walk through it and they never say anything to me. I can't figure out what it's for if not for a false sense of security.

1 hour ago, stuck said:

Not so fast.  I require photos of any of the four bombers from any of the location, but the photos must be of them in the act, on 7/7.

Can you provide this?

This thread is mutating into a re-make of Capricorn 3 or maybe that other movie where Laurence Olivier keeps asking 'Is It Safe?'

Edited by SheungWan

13 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

This thread is mutating into a re-make of Capricorn 3 or maybe that other movie where Laurence Olivier keeps asking 'Is It Safe?'

I will say that I feel safer walking the streets of Bangkok at night than I do the streets of Detroit back in the U.S. Getting carjacked while filling up at a gas station in broad daylight can be disconcerting. Had that happen to a buddy of mine there. Overall yes, I feel safe in Thailand. And maybe it helps that I'm usually with a Thai when I'm out and about. But not always.

On 31/10/2016 at 8:18 AM, Cook my sock said:

Feel as safe here as in london.

is London safe? I often wonder about that. The only time I felt safe was before I became a sperm. Now I wonder if sperm has consciousness. Otherwise how did I win that marathon swim over millions of others.

Just now, madusa said:

is London safe? I often wonder about that. The only time I felt safe was before I became a sperm. Now I wonder if sperm has consciousness. Otherwise how did I win that marathon swim over millions of others.

Depends on what part of London one is living in. Some parts of London I wouldn't be seen dead in.

I couldn't be bothered to read all this thread, but I would just like to point out that u are 10 Thousand times more likely to die sliping in the shower then getting killed in a terrorist attack

Is any one scared of showers on here?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

It's just for show. The MRT is the same, you could bring anything on those trains. But I'm glad they dont really search everybody, the inconvenience is not worth it. 

I mean back in London the terrorist threat is much higher, and we don't even pretend to search people. You have to balance the threat with not disrupting people's lives. 

1 hour ago, Changwatchap said:

It's just for show. The MRT is the same, you could bring anything on those trains. But I'm glad they dont really search everybody, the inconvenience is not worth it.. 

Not true.  I had a can of WD40 confiscated getting on the MRT once.  The nice lady pointed at the FLAMMABLE symbol on the can and kindly relieved me of it so I could continue on my way.  Lesson learned.

In fairness. it was one of those touchy times in BKK when everyone was on edge.  Or maybe she just had WD40 on her shopping list and I saved her the trouble.

Edit:  And if you want more evidence, search BTS balloon and assault in the forums.  Good for a chuckle.

Edited by impulse

On ‎31‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 7:48 PM, stuck said:

My son and I entered the stationery store.  There is no guard, no wand.  The entrance to Tops has no guard, no wand.  Having a sense of security, where there is none, is dangerous.

Feeling scared going to Tops is laughable

late one Friday afternoon tutsi goes down to pick up his laundry in Yanbu in saudi...pull up, hop outta the car and scurry in and out...but one Friday not quick enough as a car pulls up with some young, scruffy looking jihadi types: 'hellooo - oo...we see youuuu...'

and then tutsi burns rubber and punches it back to the hotel (with heavily armed national guard at the gate) before they open fire...and I wanted to stop and get a Hershey's with almonds and everything...

juffar blues...

I misread the heading and voted safe. Can't say it makes an ounce of difference. Tokyu for example has screening as you come of the skytrain but not if you come in from the other side.

On the BTS I have walked through with a cooker top no one asked me to open. Have seen guys walk in with no one there with a big rucksack.

It may be a deterrent but effective against terrorism? I doubt it