Do you feel safe when you are in public?

stuck

Does a metal detector make you feel safe?  

86 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

As my son and I were leaving Central Lad Prao last night we noticed that the front entrance had a metal detector (maybe not) or at least a security guard with one of those Garrett wands to find metal objects.  

Does this make you safe? Do you feel safer? Other than slow your entrance to the mall and inconvenience you, what is is the purpose of this?

It's a trick question, as I will reveal all soon enough.  However, if you entered the building through this entrance, would this make you feel safer, less safe and would it annoy you?

IMG_20161030_210218.jpg

Keep in mind there's a metal detector and CCTV that everyone gets funneled through.  I have no clue who's looking at the monitor in a back room, waiting to spring into action when they see a familiar face.

I suspect it's just as much about keeping out pickpockets and the "you've got a lucky face" guys as bombs and weapons.

BTS, MRT. malls in BKK have an appropriate level of security IMO.  Visible, but not too intrusive or inconvenient.

Edited by impulse

3 minutes ago, impulse said:

Keep in mind there's a metal detector and CCTV that everyone gets funneled through.  I have no clue who's looking at the monitor in a back room, waiting to spring into action when they see a familiar face.

I suspect it's just as much about keeping out pickpockets and the "you've got a lucky face" guys as bombs and weapons.

BTS, MRT. malls in BKK have an appropriate level of security IMO.  Visible, but not too intrusive or inconvenient.

My son and I entered the stationery store.  There is no guard, no wand.  The entrance to Tops has no guard, no wand.  Having a sense of security, where there is none, is dangerous.

At the  end of the day if you are that worried about safety then you might as well stay at home. A guy with a wand standing at the entrance of a shop isn't going to save your life if the guy who is going to blow you up is sitting next to you on the bus.

Just now, stuck said:

It's evident to me, that you didn't read what I wrote.  Nice try though.

I wasn't replying to what you wrote per say. Just making the point if people are scared of being victims to terrorists then they might as well stay at home.

Just now, berybert said:

I wasn't replying to what you wrote per say. Just making the point if people are scared of being victims to terrorists then they might as well stay at home.

Fair enough.  My point, is that if you are going to make a show about security, that makes us all less secure.  Instead of remaining in condition yellow, where you are keeping track of your environment you may let your guard down thinking the mall is secure, when it is not.

Just now, stuck said:

Fair enough.  My point, is that if you are going to make a show about security, that makes us all less secure.  Instead of remaining in condition yellow, where you are keeping track of your environment you may let your guard down thinking the mall is secure, when it is not.

Thailand doesn't do security. If you don't want to walk thru a door where there is a scanner then just go to another one. Not sure I've ever see a shop with scanners on every door.

Just now, berybert said:

Thailand doesn't do security. If you don't want to walk thru a door where there is a scanner then just go to another one. Not sure I've ever see a shop with scanners on every door.

I know of one shop where they have scanners at each and every entrance.  They do indeed do security.

Like most laws and policies in Thailand, the security practices are for show only...poorly executed...I suspect that the real deterrant to bombings and such in temples and govt buildings is the real possiblity that if anything did happen that seized the public's fury, there would be  no end to the revenge against whoever damaged the symbol of Thainess...for all the liberals who bemoan violations of human rights and dignity that occur in the USA, UK, and elsewhere in the western world, and swoon because Trump is in the public eye, can you just imagine what would happen to Muslims (for example) if they destroyed a temple in BKK?  To me, the thing that prevents an attack is not the lame security at the BTS station, but the fact that any real attack against religeon or monarchy would result in them (and most likely family) being rounded up and summarily sent to a hellish prison or killed by police...

Feel more safe here than anywhere I have been including the middle east, Northern Ireland during the 1980s bombings and London. Bangkok in my opinion is safe and you can walk around anytime of the day and you are safer than most European cities from muggings, beatings, racial abuse.

There maybe now some more security measures but I remember the first time ZI flew into Switzerland and all the police had guns. Switzerland was very safe.

I personally don't believe you can go around living your life in fear. At the moment I would say Bangkok is safe as anywhere else..

13 hours ago, stuck said:

On the contrary.  If I see metal detectors, my sense of awareness increases, even if my level of safety hasn't.

1 hour ago, whatproblem said:

I always find that the yanks are most worried about terrorism and this was also the case before 9/11

Well that comment must be from a few years ago. Have you been to Paris or Brussels or London lately?   Really have you?? 

5 minutes ago, Dmaxdan said:

If you live in fear every time you go out, then the bad guys have won, and we can't allow that to happen.  

Mr. Cube, if we allow our instincts to be deluded by a false sense of security, the bad guys will eventually win. For example, it's wise to have a smoke alarm in your home, but even a cigar store Native American can be more usefull than one that just hangs there unless tested and the battery ceremoniously replaced at least once a year.

Then we haven't allowed the inevitable to happen yet.

14 hours ago, berybert said:

At the  end of the day if you are that worried about safety then you might as well stay at home. A guy with a wand standing at the entrance of a shop isn't going to save your life if the guy who is going to blow you up is sitting next to you on the bus.

Agree. If you are actually depending on mall security (anywhere in the world) to make you feel safe & cozy, you're already a victim. And if you're obsessing about it (assuming you don't live in Afghanistan or similar) you may need to seek counseling.

29 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

Well that comment must be from a few years ago. Have you been to Paris or Brussels or London lately?   Really have you?? 

I'm American and have to agree with the original comment. Americans, at least a large number of them, tend to go overboard. I seriously doubt that the average Parisian, Londoner or Bruxellois is anywhere near as anxious about metal detectors or whether people entering shops are frisked for weapons. 

Remember the number of incidents where Americans forced turban-wearing Sikhs off airplanes because they "looked like terrorists?"

Edited by Suradit69

15 hours ago, berybert said:

I am not afraid to walk the streets anywhere in Thailand, and feel perfectly safe, but certainly not in Glasgow. I am not talking about terrorism here, I mean the average local people.

1 hour ago, Suradit69 said:

I'm American and have to agree with the original comment. Americans, at least a large number of them, tend to go overboard. I seriously doubt that the average Parisian, Londoner or Bruxellois is anywhere near as anxious about metal detectors or whether people entering shops are frisked for weapons. 

Remember the number of incidents where Americans forced turban-wearing Sikhs off airplanes because they "looked like terrorists?"

And that is based on ignorance and the American media plugging into that fear.

i was in Afghanistan a few months after 9/11 with guys in turbans everywhere with Kalashnikovs visible. But I had more concern in South Central Los Angeles a month later.....it can be very dangerous there, and you have no idea who the bad guys are.

But Thailand, most people here will respond to a smile.....but not many other countries.

Brought up in England during the IRA murder campaign- lived in Libya - behind razor wire in Saudi- then in UK during current Muslim terror campaign-just a matter of time not if but when. I feel safe in Thailand. I don't think about the metal detectors in malls. I do find the thread title crass.

We are born with the fight or flight instinct. When ever something is introduced into our environment that eases our fears such as fences, walls, news reports saying how safe an area is, security guards, etc we relax more. This is sure to delay any reaction to defend or run which may lead to our demise.
It bothers me when I hear or read about how safe Thailand is when we know from statistics that this is not the case. Things can go wrong here very quickly and unlike many countries the police here are not always your friend and can even make the problem bigger. If you add in traffic accidents to safety Thailand performance is very poor.
Don't drop your guard but at the same time try to enjoy your life.

Look, I was in the U.S. army for five years in Vietnam , but in a non-combat role

I also worked there as a civilian employes for the U.S. military for another 3 years.

Between 1966 and 1973 they tried 4 times to get me.

At least twice I was only a foot or two away from a bomb or mortar round when  it exploded.

In TET 1968, I was working 2 blocks away from the U.S. embessy in Saigon.

So far I have been lucky.

This is 2016 and I am srill alive.

What can I say, maybe my  luck will finally run out

Until then I won't worry about it.

I have already been around for 70 years.

5 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

5 hours ago, alex8912 said:

The last time I was home in uk was 2  years ago and only a holiday ,most people in London area not that bothered, not enough to worry about it ,