changing LINE phone number from USA to Thai number, how?

chubby

changing LINE phone number from USA to Thai number, how?

has anyone done this?  when I follow the official howto, it does allow me to select a country, just stuck on "USA",  if I try +66 8 xxxx  or 011 66 9 xxx 

"

Changing your phone number

https://help.line.me/line/ios/categoryId/50000436/3/pc?lang=en

it doesn't work 

maybe there is no harm in leaving it  on my USA phone number for now, as I have both USA and Thai  SIMs,  though, I hear  maybe a Thai number  /SIM  would give me access to cooler stickers ? :)

or if I were to login to LINE on a new phone  does it matter if I have the USA SIM  vs. the Thai SIM  in the new phone  at the time I login to LINE?

I am fearful of losing my contacts, I do have it linked to an email and also use the desktop LINE, but just afraid to log into  the new phone  with LINE, which currently I am logged into on the old phone 

old phone has the Thai SIM for now, new phone  has the USA SIM for now 

I assume that Line sends you a Text with Pin code when you sign up , so they know the country / sim card you are using

And that sets the user name with that sim card / phone number , 

So what happens if you change your Thai sim card/ phone number while you are in Thailand ?

do you have to pick a new user name  ?

On 11/2/2016 at 0:23 PM, 4evermaat said:

as long as you link to facebook or register you acct (which I think requires email), then you can port to a different number, but keep your existing LINE acct ID by using the same email, Line ID or facebook acct for the new number.

well, what if the new number is a Thai number?  because it does Not allow one to change to a new country  with the 'change your phone number' ; which was one of my points - 

i see way to port  without risking losing contacts, if 'change your phone number' doesn't work 

3 hours ago, chubby said:

well, what if the new number is a Thai number?  because it does Not allow one to change to a new country  with the 'change your phone number' ; which was one of my points - 

i see way to port  without risking losing contacts, if 'change your phone number' doesn't work 

Have you tried contacting them?

LINE contact us to change acct.png

I do know you could continue using LINE with your old contacts if you have linked it to an ID, email address or facebook.  Your chat history is deleted on each device change, though.

But actually changing your phone number country code....you'd have to contact them and see what they say.   In most cases if you do not have an ID or intend to hold onto the old #, you either have 2 separate accounts initially and then migrate people to the new number (just like you'd give out your new number) or would have to continue to give out your old number for them to store in their contacts or search you on LINE app. 

if you have a Line Pay account or similar, you could just 'pay'  the new acct.  You would likely lose any stickers or other purchased digital items from the old acct though.

Edited by 4evermaat

Carrying over LINE accounts
https://help.line.me/line/?contentId=20000098

Please note that uninstalling the LINE app will delete your chat history. If you have any chats you wish to save, please do so before carrying over your account with the steps mentioned in the Help articles below:

How do I back up my chats? (Android)
http://help.line.me/line/?contentId=20000240

Backing up and restoring chats (iOS)
https://help.line.me/line/ios/?contentId=20000428

Again, thank you for using our services, and please let us know if you need any additional assistance.

Kind regards,

LINE Customer Care

I signed up w Line in Thailand w a Thai sim and number. That makes anyone in your contact list with a Thai number and a Line ID go into your Line contacts. When in the States since I signed up in Thailand it does not happen with my American friends with American numbers. Since I mainly use Line with Thais I am happy I signed up in Thailand.

As far as emojis, I think it might be better to sign up in America because Thais are into cute ones mainly for girls. Also the writing and talking is in Thai. So I don't want to send them as I don't know what they are saying. Could cause a Whoops!

20 minutes ago, elgenon said:

I signed up w Line in Thailand w a Thai sim and number. That makes anyone in your contact list with a Thai number and a Line ID go into your Line contacts.

is there a way to not have anyone added to your Line contacts unless you want to add them ? 

And if you sign up in Thailand is there a way to keep it in Engish ?

thanks

Can have more than one LINE account, but to my knowledge...each account is specific to a phone number/SIM card and cannot be transferred. Have to open a new LINE account for each SIM number. I have 2 LINE accounts...one on a Thai SIM and one on a USA SIM.

Or maybe it is possible as just saw CSABO's post above...

Edited by Skeptic7

On 11/10/2016 at 7:00 PM, Skeptic7 said:

Can have more than one LINE account, but to my knowledge...each account is specific to a phone number/SIM card and cannot be transferred. Have to open a new LINE account for each SIM number. I have 2 LINE accounts...one on a Thai SIM and one on a USA SIM.

Or maybe it is possible as just saw CSABO's post above...

You can have one account per phone number. That account can be on one mobile device (iPad, smart phone etc) and one pc/mac simultaneously. You can not add the same account to a third device. It will delete the previous mobile device's access.

Slightly off topic but VERY curious to know if anyone else experienced this. I got a new phone and took my sim out and put it in the new phone. I gave my GF my old phone and she put her old sim in it. Ever since then, any phone contacts she adds in her phone automatically are added as Line contact on my phone. I asked Line about that s and they were perplexed. It seems that my actual old phone, not the sim, was linked to my Line account. Bizarre. I gave my old phone to th GF but if I had sold it to a random stranger I would be getting random contacts in my Line account???

Edited by csabo

11 minutes ago, csabo said:

Slightly off topic but VERY curious to know if anyone else experienced this. I got a new phone and took my sim out and put it in the new phone. I gave my GF my old phone and she put her old sim in it. Ever since then, any phone contacts she adds in her phone automatically are added as Line contact on my phone. I asked Line about that s and they were perplexed. It seems that my actual old phone, not the sim, was linked to my Line account. Bizarre. I gave my old phone to th GF but if I had sold it to a random stranger I would be getting random contacts in my Line account???

Before giving an old phone to anyone you should do a factory reset on it which will wipe it clean.

Next time be a man and buy your GF a new phone instead of your hand me down.

26 minutes ago, bubba1 said:

Before giving an old phone to anyone you should do a factory reset on it which will wipe it clean.

Next time be a man and buy your GF a new phone instead of your hand me down.

I did a factory reset. No need to insult me. 

31 minutes ago, csabo said:

I did a factory reset. No need to insult me. 

Agreed. What does your gender have to do with your phone and what you give your gf. Sounds like a five year old. 

If you did a factory reset on the old phone then how the hell it still syncs contacts?