Best neighborhood of Pattaya for ex-NYC resident to retire in

louloomis

4 hours ago, KittenKong said:

For an extension neither are needed.

It isnt very hard to find a nice, large condo with parking, pool and view in Jomtien for 12-13,000B/month on a yearly basis. Just avoid agents. There is very little demand at the moment and prices are quite low, but even so you should negotiate.

For most people it's best to get any visa you can in your home country and then arrange the retirement extension here. Much less paperwork and normally cheaper and easier.

Not so with Thai consulate's in the USA.  The one in Chicago can do it all and are very friendly and fast, If same in NY he can download all requirements, print out the forms and take there. You can then get 12 Month retirement visa there and change to retirement extension in one year here without having to leave Thailand or jump through any other hoops.  You can sign the papers at the consulate that you have already filled out the best you can " put sticky notes on lines you don't understand" and then they will mail your passport back to you the next day. Check their hours in Chicago 7am to 11am. If they won't do the full retirement visa tell them you want the 60 day that can be converted to a retirement extension here.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 hours ago, The manic said:

Pratumnak around cozy beach or yim yam beach - new small Condos about 10, 000 baht a month. Ya can walk wherever Ya want to go and get taxis or motor sai taxis when needed. 

Once again: Main problem is transport... which is a huge problem in Pattaya, anywhere.

I live there too, but unfortunately the only transport from Cosy Beach is motor bike taxi, and you have to walk quite a way from most areas to get one. You'll find some special trip (read: rip-off) baht buses on the main street only. It would be lousy to live there without your own transport, and that means motorbike. Owning a car in that area is not ideal as there is only one road out and the tourist buses ensure that the road is gridlocked for much of the day. I hate using motor bike taxis for transport - I consider them as last resort transport.

Edited by tropo

Totally agree with Tropo.  If you prefer not to drive I would avoid Pratamnack and Cosy Beach. And the condos right on the beach at Wong Amat--the condos are very nice but you walk out your door and there's not much there except other condos and maybe a 7-11 or Family Mart.  Plenty of condo choices in Jomtien and Pattaya on or close to the 10 baht truck taxi line.  By the way, welcome to Thai Visa, LL.  From your second posting I see you've discovered that there's sometimes useful info (always mine, hehe) and sometimes useless info posted.   I find most of the posters are genuinely trying to be helpful and it's great they take the time to try to answer a query.  Sometimes we go off-topic but that is often when things get the most interesting and entertaining--at least for me.  I've been here six years and I am still learning--often from Thai Visa--and will probably always consider myself a newnative.

3 hours ago, Grubster said:

Not so with Thai consulate's in the USA.  The one in Chicago can do it all and are very friendly and fast, If same in NY he can download all requirements, print out the forms and take there. You can then get 12 Month retirement visa there and change to retirement extension in one year here without having to leave Thailand or jump through any other hoops.  You can sign the papers at the consulate that you have already filled out the best you can " put sticky notes on lines you don't understand" and then they will mail your passport back to you the next day. Check their hours in Chicago 7am to 11am. If they won't do the full retirement visa tell them you want the 60 day that can be converted to a retirement extension here.

Yes, that's what I said: get a short visa in your home county and extend it here. Few documents, little cost, very quick. You do not need a retirement visa to get a retirement extension.

I doubt that a 12-month retirement visa can be easier or quicker to obtain in Chicago than a 12-month visa extension in Jomtien. Mine own took me well under an hour to obtain (spread over two visits) and cost me just 2000B. No special documents required at all, apart from the 100B bank letter.

On November 1, 2016 at 1:20 PM, pegman said:

If you plan on  staying in the Jomtien Beach area a good place to  use as a base while you check out buildings is RichManPoorMan Guesthouse. Jomtien Soi 9 & Jomtien Beach Road. Excellent American food and is frequented by mostly North Americans who have a wealth of knowledge all things expat living in Thailand. My friend Eddie is the owner who, like you,  is also from the NYC area.

http://richmanpoorman.net/rooms-rates.html

image.jpg

With respect to all the advice given, why are you even considering retiring to somewhere you don't know? If you know Pattaya, you'll know where suits you. If you don't, then give it a whirl for a few months without committing to anything. Simple common sense. And just so you know... it ain't New York, baby. If you want somehwere similar, you're pointing in the wrong direction completely...

Edited by Bludshoteyes
Not finish

Hi Everyone,

Thanks again, everyone, for all your advice and thoughts. Please keep it coming if it suits this board's purpose. All the information thus far has been very helpful.

Specifically in response to the comments from the poster just above, Bludshoteyes:

1. You asked "why are you even considering retiring to somewhere you don't know"?

a) Respectfully, "considering" or the noun "consideration" which is to most people and by my looking it up just now so I can respond with consideration itself means:

"careful thought" or "a matter weighed or taken into account when formulating an opinion or plan".

B) My asking about Pattaya, to me, is the act of "considering" itself. I am carefully weighing matters, taking into account information, in order to potentially formulate a plan. I think that is both ordinary and reasonable. I therefore do not understand your surprise at my request for information.

2. You also use the term "know" in the phrase "retiring to somewhere you don't know".

a) Respectfully, "know" which is to most people and by my looking it up just now so I can know what it means means:

"be aware of through observation, inquiry, or information"

B) My asking about Pattaya, to me, is part of the act of "knowing". I am trying to be aware through inquiry in pursuit of information.

I think that is both ordinary and reasonable. I therefore do not understand your surprise at my request for information.

3. Finally, about your comment "it ain't New York, baby. If you want somehwere similar, you're pointing in the wrong direction completely..."

I am not necessarily looking for someplace similar in quite the way you are phrasing your statement. I am more looking at the issue of compatibility. By "considering" and "knowing", I hope to shrink the gap inherent in that compatibility assessment, if only at the academic level of analysis. However, that level of analysis is important to me because of the way I perform my long range planning. So I am not looking for New York City in Pattaya (I doubt it is anywhere but in New York City). I am seeking information about potential compatibility with regards to one topic:  location. 

I appreciate you taking the time to make your contribution and for the positive motivation behind doing so. Thank you again for that.

Regards,

LL

Pratumnak around cozy beach or yim yam beach - new small Condos about 10, 000 baht a month. Ya can walk wherever Ya want to go and get taxis or motor sai taxis when needed. 

I lived in cozy beach a lovely area but getting around was a hassle. Nothing beats living on a baht bus route so like many others I recommend anywhere in jomtien next to a baht bus

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

On 11/1/2016 at 5:51 PM, MANFROMBOCA said:

the breakfast may be good and he pizza may be good i dont know i went there for the pastrami on rye and it sucked like eating cardboard NOTHING like a NYC deli sandwich should  or does taste

The pastrami was like cardboard?  The bread?  Do you mean too dry?  Not enough fat content?  All I know is that the Reuben sandwich is good and probably the best you will find in Asia.   I think that if you have a complaint about the quality of the pastrami on rye sandwich you should suggest to the owner in a "calm voice" how to make it better.   The owners are receptive and will listen to customers.

13 hours ago, Awohalitsiktoli said:

I think that if you have a complaint about the quality of the pastrami on rye sandwich you should suggest to the owner in a "calm voice" how to make it better.   The owners are receptive and will listen to customers.

Now, where's the fun in that?

I think maybe you and I are old-fashioned.  In today's world it seems it's much more likely for a dissatisfied customer to go online and beyatch (anonymously) in public, perhaps feeling the "power" of besmirching a shop's good reputation.  The old way might even imply taking some responsibility.  </old fart mode off>

Hi louloomis

I`ve lived in naklua for the past 7 years or so, it suits me.

Quiet at night, enough bars/restaurants when required..

You  are correct  with the price range of studios here.

If you take a stroll up soi 27 , about 7 minutes slow  walk from the Dolphin circle, you`ll  find a selection of studios from 5 K - 12K baht per month, within your price range.

The cheaper ones generally older and some a bit tired.

It`s a nice soi, never any trouble.

If you want very modern, Lumpini  Group have a 3 tower high rise block in naklua very near the main road.

From about 10 K baht p.m.

Never a problem to get in to central Pattaya or back from.10 baht on the bahtbus.( Exception would be if Beach Road is closed, happens but rare )

Same as you I choose not to drive, personal choice, gave up driving years ago.

Prices I`ve mentioned are net, there is electric and water on top.

Electric  bill would depend mainly on how much you use air con and the rate per unit charged.

Water cheap.

Some of the cheaper places are fairly bare, so you might need to invest in decent bedding, sheets/pillows/towels etc.

I`ve done so, worth it in the long run.

Quite a nice " community " feel about the place, that takes time though.

If of interest I can list a few places to look at, just ask.

Maybe you`d like it here, maybe not.

Worth a look though.

GL.

I'm with posters suggesting Central Pattaya. More of a city feel, SO convenient. Later you may appreciate more the relative quiet of Naklua or Jomtien, and the commute won't seem so onerous. (Me, I'd hate riding the baht bus in from Jomtien and back. Riding a bike in seems a lot safer from Naklua than Jomtien and closer, too.) Start out there and you might get so habituated that you never get to experience The Full Monty, which would be, well, too bad. ;)

Myself being from the Northeast USA, the first thought that jumped to my mind was the scene sequence from the Movie "My Cousin Vinnie".  The scene where he couldn't sleep while staying in the cabin out in the quiet woods as the owls hooting, and things woke him up and he was uneasy.  Then the next day when the judge threw him in jail for contempt and you see him soundly sleeping in his jail cell, while in the background you hear riot whistles, fights, gunshots, ambulance sirens, etc.

So maybe go for a nice intersection where there is a lot of traffic, near one or two hotels that have parking garage with a doorman that constantly blows his whistle.   

On 04/11/2016 at 0:24 PM, louloomis said:

Hi Everyone,

Thanks again, everyone, for all your advice and thoughts. Please keep it coming if it suits this board's purpose. All the information thus far has been very helpful.

Specifically in response to the comments from the poster just above, Bludshoteyes:

1. You asked "why are you even considering retiring to somewhere you don't know"?

a) Respectfully, "considering" or the noun "consideration" which is to most people and by my looking it up just now so I can respond with consideration itself means:

"careful thought" or "a matter weighed or taken into account when formulating an opinion or plan".

B) My asking about Pattaya, to me, is the act of "considering" itself. I am carefully weighing matters, taking into account information, in order to potentially formulate a plan. I think that is both ordinary and reasonable. I therefore do not understand your surprise at my request for information.

2. You also use the term "know" in the phrase "retiring to somewhere you don't know".

a) Respectfully, "know" which is to most people and by my looking it up just now so I can know what it means means:

"be aware of through observation, inquiry, or information"

B) My asking about Pattaya, to me, is part of the act of "knowing". I am trying to be aware through inquiry in pursuit of information.

I think that is both ordinary and reasonable. I therefore do not understand your surprise at my request for information.

3. Finally, about your comment "it ain't New York, baby. If you want somehwere similar, you're pointing in the wrong direction completely..."

I am not necessarily looking for someplace similar in quite the way you are phrasing your statement. I am more looking at the issue of compatibility. By "considering" and "knowing", I hope to shrink the gap inherent in that compatibility assessment, if only at the academic level of analysis. However, that level of analysis is important to me because of the way I perform my long range planning. So I am not looking for New York City in Pattaya (I doubt it is anywhere but in New York City). I am seeking information about potential compatibility with regards to one topic:  location. 

I appreciate you taking the time to make your contribution and for the positive motivation behind doing so. Thank you again for that.

Regards,

LL

LL, from your reply I'm sensing you found my post slightly offensive, personal or unhelpful. Please accept my apologies if that was the case and no need to work your dictionary into a lather on my account. If I remember rightly, I was having a slightly off day and perhaps that influenced my response to your question. Just like any city, bad days & good are par for the norm here. As are - I would suggest - the characteristics you gave of your location in NYC, par for the norm in any 1st-world metropolis, be it Tokyo, Paris or Peckham. However, Pattaya - although donning the moniker of 'City' - is not a 1st-world metropolis. Far from it. But because you highlighted those factors as being of import, I felt compelled to emphasise the fact that Pattaya is very different. Hence the 'it ain't NY' comment.

Fyi, your list can be completely ticked off anywhere in Pattaya as long as 'everything you need to live day-to-day' can be bought in a 7-11. They are literally &lt;deleted&gt; everywhere, I kid you not. As are local neighbourhood restaurants, dishing out the Thai food. But what I'm trying to say is, one man's meat is another man's poison and nothing you read will prepare you for the realities of life here. So, hand-on-heart my surprise is genuine that you would embark on such a change in circumstance without having put feet on the ground first. But hey, that's my opinion and I'm sorry if I came across as being a dick.

So, good luck and all that and just for the record I live in Central: if you like the quiet life don't move here (the soundtrack to my life is wild dogs, cockerels, traffic and sound-systems). Jomtien is very pleasant, feels quite separate from Pattaya and has a distinctly beach/holiday kinda feel. Naklua is a kind of amalgamation of the two. That is all.

On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 4:49 AM, Awohalitsiktoli said:

The pastrami was like cardboard?  The bread?  Do you mean too dry?  Not enough fat content?  All I know is that the Reuben sandwich is good and probably the best you will find in Asia.   I think that if you have a complaint about the quality of the pastrami on rye sandwich you should suggest to the owner in a "calm voice" how to make it better.   The owners are receptive and will listen to customers.

all of the above... and it may be the best in asia  but its not anything like a nyc deli sandwich which i had last night and my voice is calm or did you hear me yelling from my condo window ??? and i really dont care if its good or bad i was just stating a fact quietly or as quiet as any respectable new yorker can be,, but i must say thier seclection of mustards are world standard

Thanks again, everyone. Lots of useful info.

Here's my takeaway thus far:

1. Look at Naklua or Jomtien on a Baht bus route for a bit of a more quiet and laid back vibe and Central Pattaya if I want a much less laid back vibe.
2. Confirmed that there are definitely options in my price range for monthly rentals but that, in my price range, I may  have to accept smaller/simpler/less new, etc.

To answer/respond to other questions/points of curiosity by other responders:

So far, no issues. I'm looking at convenience within a close proximity. I don't want to necessarily move to a noisy, busy urban situation since I'm in one now. I've been to Bangkok and, yes, it's a big city but it was not someplace I would necessarily want to live, after living in NYC for a long time. Plus, I'm more of an ocean person. So, Pattaya's proximity to the ocean (dirty or not) and beaches (dirty or not) is still a plus. I would like to be close to Bangkok though in case I need to do something that is only available in Bangkok. So I didn't want to look at Udon Thani, or Chiang Mai, etc.for the aforementioned reasons.

In terms of those recommending I stay in NYC and just vacation to Thailand, well, one of the appeals of Thailand is cost of living - which is not one of the appeals of NYC. Even though the cost of living is rising in Thailand and inflation is an interesting and critical topic to understand, I still see it as more cost-effective a solution than long-term retirement in NYC.

Thanks again and please feel free to add more info if the forum sees fit to do so.

Thanks,

LL

34 minutes ago, louloomis said:

Thanks again, everyone. Lots of useful info.

Here's my takeaway thus far:

1. Look at Naklua or Jomtien on a Baht bus route for a bit of a more quiet and laid back vibe and Central Pattaya if I want a much less laid back vibe.
2. Confirmed that there are definitely options in my price range for monthly rentals but that, in my price range, I may  have to accept smaller/simpler/less new, etc.

To answer/respond to other questions/points of curiosity by other responders:

So far, no issues. I'm looking at convenience within a close proximity. I don't want to necessarily move to a noisy, busy urban situation since I'm in one now. I've been to Bangkok and, yes, it's a big city but it was not someplace I would necessarily want to live, after living in NYC for a long time. Plus, I'm more of an ocean person. So, Pattaya's proximity to the ocean (dirty or not) and beaches (dirty or not) is still a plus. I would like to be close to Bangkok though in case I need to do something that is only available in Bangkok. So I didn't want to look at Udon Thani, or Chiang Mai, etc.for the aforementioned reasons.

In terms of those recommending I stay in NYC and just vacation to Thailand, well, one of the appeals of Thailand is cost of living - which is not one of the appeals of NYC. Even though the cost of living is rising in Thailand and inflation is an interesting and critical topic to understand, I still see it as more cost-effective a solution than long-term retirement in NYC.

Thanks again and please feel free to add more info if the forum sees fit to do so.

Thanks,

LL

Looks like you are on the right track. If you do follow through with the move please get back to us in a year to give us your opinion. If your experience is anything like mine you will have had the time of your life.

On November 1, 2016 at 1:20 PM, pegman said:

I moved to Pattaya 3 years ago after having taken a number of extended vacations there. My recommendation would be to rent a low cost condo next to a 24 hour baht bus route for 6-12 months. That will give you the time to get a lay of the land while you figure out how far your budget will go. 

The first 6 months of my stay I stayed at View Talay 1 in Jomtien. A studio is about us$260 plus electric and water. It takes under a year to get use to the heat/humidity if you do a lot of walking outside to the point a fan will do over AC. It is under 20 years old and has 2 - 15fl buildings with a large pool. It backs on a 24hr food store and the on-the-hour Bangkok Airport Bus Terminal that connects to that city's sky train/subway system. The beach and a great fruit/veg market are a 10 minute walk.

I use the baht buses daily and if there is a lot of traffic just jump on a motor bike taxi. They will usually get you to Walking  St in 10-15 mins. There are many food options with both grocery stores or resturants for western food. I don't eat thai food and have no problem eating pretty much what I do back in Canada.

I found this ad on one of the links provided of a studio in View Talay 1 in Jomtien  for us$225 on a 12 month lease

http://www.thaiproperty.com/for_rent/condos/pattaya/Jomtien/View-Talay-1_7225.html

4 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

Jomtien has a bunch of condos with ocean views.  Right on the baht bus route and not quite as busy as Naklua. 

This guy is pretty good:

http://www.thaiproperty.com/

Interesting website:

http://jomtien-property.com/?p=index

Listings are not always up to date, but gives you a general idea.

Interesting that you highlighted those two agencies.  I have had a condo listed with several Jomtien realtors and ECRE and J-P are the ONLY ones who have been actively marketing and showing my unit.  The guys running those agencies, David Gray at ECRE and Stu Sutton at J-P, have been top-notch in their handling of my property.

ECRE seems pretty on the ball with updating their listings.  A sales agreement for my condo was just signed with them yesterday and today their listing web page already says "SOLD."  Sounds like such a small thing, and something that you might assume would be done promptly, but TiT and there are agencies with sales listings for properties that sold over a year ago.

On 11/1/2016 at 6:30 PM, onemorechang said:

Bla  Bla  Bla.

Nothing wrong with 7am Happy hour.

One of the problems when people  who move away from Pattaya.

is they  forget what fun is. :saai:

The Op  was asking about Pattaya.

BTW 2015,    352 murders  in NYC

you should be used to a high crime rate by now. :giggle:

There's a company called Numbeo that helps people compare amenities and other quality of life issues in different cities by compiling various statistics. NYC is a lot safer than Pattaya. That's 325 murders out of about 9 million people. And considering that most murders are committed by and against people who know each other, your odds of being murdered in NYC are vanishingly small. Unless you hang out with the wrong crowd.