Horrifying fatal crash caught on camera after minivan is knocked off road in Thailand

webfact

Am i reading the Mirror's report wrong or do their proof readers make mistakes too?

One person was killed while the driver and two others passengers escaped injury in the crash in Thailand

LOPBURI: -- This is the terrifying moment an out of control driver RAMS into a minivan full of passengers, spinning both vehicles off the road.

If the minivan was full of passengers surely there would be more than two who escaped injury or are they saying that everyone else was injured apart from the driver and two passengers?

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, nausea said:

OK, I didn't notice that, forget what I said. It's a bit weird though, bashing into someone like that. 

If you notice just before the crash the drive swerves to the left then notices the plastic bollard so swerves back right..

He is out of control before hitting the van. 

12 hours ago, mike324 said:

I think its silly to blame the dash cam car, perhaps he was already going the speed limit, he did not need to move left.

Since when do Thai drivers observe the speed limit?

The dashcam car should have been driving in the left hand lane which was clear of traffic, not hogging the right hand lane regardless of what the speed limit was.

14 minutes ago, berybert said:

If you notice just before the crash the drive swerves to the left then notices the plastic bollard so swerves back right..

He is out of control before hitting the van. 

OK, so just bad driving then, really bad driving.What I notice about Thai drivers is they rely on their reflexive instincts and leave no room for error. They're probably good drivers, and with training could be really good drivers. 

50 minutes ago, Xircal said:

Not really since it seems to have resulted in the death of one of his passengers. Or at least I assume that's the case since there's no mention of either driver dying.

When the van crossed over onto the wrong side of the road,  it hit a motorcycle.  The rider was killed. 

3 minutes ago, Chalard said:

When the van crossed over onto the wrong side of the road,  it hit a motorcycle.  The rider was killed. 

How do you know that? There's no mention of what you're saying in either the OP or in the news media link.

2 minutes ago, nausea said:

OK, so just bad driving then, really bad driving.What I notice about Thai drivers is they rely on their reflexive instincts and leave no room for error. They're probably good drivers, and with training could be really good drivers. 

'Relying on their reflexes with no room for error', you got that bit right.  They will not make good drivers if they have no idea of how much distance they need to allow, but tuition would be a start for sure. Knowing how far behind you need to be, (just learning how many meters it is does not make a good driver) and how fast you can go when taking a corner comes with practice, but they don't learn even with years of practice.

If they were all made to take a European Standard test tomorrow the roads here would be totally empty on Saturday.

1 minute ago, Chalard said:

Read post 85..!!!

Absolute codswallop. There's no evidence at all to suggest that the person who died was a motorcyclist. If that had been the case it would have been mentioned either in the OP, or in the link which is included in that.

Just now, nausea said:

Like I said, with training. There's nothing wrong with Thai drivers "per se".  They have all the qualities to be very good.

I would have to disagree. They drive to close while driving to close and leaving no room for error. That is the sign of a bad driver, not a good one.

I often watch young driver who think they are good drivers. Give them a tight gap to get thru or a tight corner to go around and they will struggle while I am capable of driving a far wider vehicle thru the gap they struggled thru with ease. They will then drive off up the road well above the speed limit thinking they are indeed good drivers because they can drive fast.

9 minutes ago, nausea said:

Like I said, with training. There's nothing wrong with Thai drivers "per se".  They have all the qualities to be very good.

Well, some might with training. Most I think would not, as their natural abilities are not good enough. Those that have been driving many years still make the mistakes of complete novices.

As a whole nation, with training I don't see why they couldn't attain a decent and safe percentage, certainly enough to improve the overall standard of driving to a reasonable level, and cut down on the daily carnage on the roads here.

They also have an "attitude problem" which makes the whole thing a lost cause and driving here just a game of chicken.

I asked a police chief (some years ago) "what is the fastest vehicle to drive in Thailand?" He answered: "The biggest thing you can get your hands on, as everybody has to get out of your way."

:crazy:

4 minutes ago, berybert said:

I would have to disagree. They drive to close while driving to close and leaving no room for error. That is the sign of a bad driver, not a good one.

I often watch young driver who think they are good drivers. Give them a tight gap to get thru or a tight corner to go around and they will struggle while I am capable of driving a far wider vehicle thru the gap they struggled thru with ease. They will then drive off up the road well above the speed limit thinking they are indeed good drivers because they can drive fast.

Yeah, I, and my brother, and my friends, were pretty much the same when we were young. OK, first thing, we were very young, the guys doing this in Thailand are 30/40/50. Second, after it had been made very clear it was socially unacceptable we stopped. Third thing, the police came down very hard. 

9 minutes ago, nausea said:

Yeah, I, and my brother, and my friends, were pretty much the same when we were young. OK, first thing, we were very young, the guys doing this in Thailand are 30/40/50. Second, after it had been made very clear it was socially unacceptable we stopped. Third thing, the police came down very hard. 

The police do not do the job of catching offenders. They are rarely prosecuted when caught, and a bribe usually sees them on their way.

You learned your lesson as a young driver, Thais do not it seems.

See my earlier reply.

29 minutes ago, Xircal said:

Absolute codswallop. There's no evidence at all to suggest that the person who died was a motorcyclist. If that had been the case it would have been mentioned either in the OP, or in the link which is included in that.

Here's the link to the original video in Thai language.

Just found this new video footage, starting from much earlier before the collision. Apologies to the camera car when i said you were hogging the overtaking lane. Maybe you should have returned to the inside lane sooner or was it that when you checked your mirrors the minivan or silver car was already there?

2 minutes ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

The police do not do the job of catching offenders. They are rarely prosecuted when caught, and a bribe usually sees them on their way.

You learned your lesson as a young driver, Thais do not it seems.

See my earlier reply.

Yeah, I agree. What stopped us young kids drinking and driving were the chances of being caught, and the rather draconian measures if you were. No mucking about, like in Thailand. You got caught drinking and driving you were  in deep fecal matter, no two ways about it, no matter who your father was.

16 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Just found this new video footage, starting from much earlier before the collision. Apologies to the camera car when i said you were hogging the overtaking lane. Maybe you should have returned to the inside lane sooner or was it that when you checked your mirrors the minivan or silver car was already there?

Interesting to see it from earlier. Could be they grey car and the van were racing,  Not conclusive though, but looks to be the car drivers fault, even if the others were not driving correctly.

I would like to see the blood alcohol/drugs level results on the two drivers involved in the accident. Or were they just a couple of hot-heads...

17 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

The van driver appears to have hit the brakes....and lost control.

Where do you see this ?

Do you see the brake lights light up on either vehicle  ... the wheels lock up ??

Even the camera vehicle doesnt brake hard.

There is only one thing anybody should be pressing with an incident like this approaching /happeing , and that is the brakes.

I am constantly amazed when I watch these Russian video accident clips how they will waste time blowing a horn when the only obvious thing to do is to curtail speed !

43 minutes ago, Boycie said:

That's no different than the video in the OP. The slow motion version in fact clearly illustrates that there isn't a motorcycle travelling along the opposite carriageway anywhere near where the minivan crosses. I took a screenshot of the point where the minivan crosses the central reservation and then enlarged the only object which appears to be anywhere near where the vehicle is headed and it doesn't look like a motorcycle to me. If it was then you would be able to see the shape of both wheels as a dark area.

The only other oddity is in the slow motion sequence at 1:41 when somebody in the dashcam vehicle yelps suddenly. But unless the shape at the left hand side of the road at that juncture contains something that makes that person react that way then presumably it was a just late reaction to the accident that just took place and which the dashcam vehicle didn't bother to stop for.

minivan.jpg

minivan2.jpg

55 minutes ago, Xircal said:

That's no different than the video in the OP. The slow motion version in fact clearly illustrates that there isn't a motorcycle travelling along the opposite carriageway anywhere near where the minivan crosses. I took a screenshot of the point where the minivan crosses the central reservation and then enlarged the only object which appears to be anywhere near where the vehicle is headed and it doesn't look like a motorcycle to me. If it was then you would be able to see the shape of both wheels as a dark area.

The only other oddity is in the slow motion sequence at 1:41 when somebody in the dashcam vehicle yelps suddenly. But unless the shape at the left hand side of the road at that juncture contains something that makes that person react that way then presumably it was a just late reaction to the accident that just took place and which the dashcam vehicle didn't bother to stop for.

minivan.jpg

minivan2.jpg

From the slow motion video link that i posted, i've had a second look and i can see it was a motorcycle with the registration ขจก 861 ลพบุรี (Lopburi) and the lady rider that died was 50 years old. 

After i posted the link of what i thought was the original video, (so that you could also read the news report in Thai language and retract your 'absolute codswallop' comment instead of taking screenshots) i then found another video, with footage that started much earlier than the previous video's and posted that below.

RIP to the lady rider

9 hours ago, nausea said:

Yeah, I agree. What stopped us young kids drinking and driving were the chances of being caught, and the rather draconian measures if you were. No mucking about, like in Thailand. You got caught drinking and driving you were  in deep fecal matter, no two ways about it, no matter who your father was.

Measures taken against drivers  involved in road accidents who are under the influence of alcohol or drugs  cannot be too draconian

A guaranteed ban, and a large fine for a first offence, plus a custodial sentence in the worst first offence cases or any subsequent offence

Nanny state maybe but justified for the amount of lives, innocent and otherwise it might / could save

The rest of your post I agree with as it confirms that genuine enforcement works for the good of all, whatever the I want my freedom to do / drive as I wish brigade advocate

8 hours ago, Xircal said:

minivan.jpg

minivan2.jpg

I think you need to get your eyes tested. Hopefully you don't drive too fast in Thailand or anywhere else...

Edited by Chalard

21 hours ago, LennyW said:

Him making no attempt to brake or steer out of the swerve is certainly suggestive of something to me, but i guess some of us are just quicker reacting / better drivers than others.

Q. if it was an unintended pit maneuver how would the sole point of it be to send a vehicle out of control, surely that would be accidental - not the sole point?. Amazing indeed!

Amazing indeed, but I'll try to make it easy for you.  The whole idea of a PIT manoeuvre is to send a vehicle out of control.   What the car driver did turned into an unintentional PIT.  There.

It's good to hear that there are some drivers more talented than the rest of us, like yourself and someone else on here, that could have recovered that van loaded with passengers in the 2 seconds before it hit the central reservation.  I'd love to see you do it.

11 hours ago, Xircal said:

The evidence of the motorcyclist on the other carriageway, directly in the line of the out of control van is pretty compelling.

9 hours ago, Xircal said:

minivan.jpg

minivan2.jpg

Oddly, that's the motorcyclist that died.

On 11/2/2016 at 1:46 AM, fruitman said:

Camera-car is guily for not keeping left while there's an empty left lane. See it every day, pure Thainess.

He's guilty of being a ****head and should be fined for failing to keep left but he's not at all liable for the accident.

On 11/2/2016 at 5:35 AM, Pungdo said:

Back home in Oz many large trucks have 2 small signs on the back, the one that points to the right says "Passing Side" the one pointing to the left says "Suicide" Thais need to take a long hard think along those lines, I see it way too often, impatient idiots trying to overtake on the wrong side of vehicles.

Or "<<<Undertaker" - "Overtaker>>>"