Where Do Pattaya Residents Celebrate New Year?

Mobi

Last New Year was my first in Pattaya. after making the big move from Bangkok.

I basically had a huge piss -up at the Mobi Mansion, and all my up-country family and friends on the wife's side came to stay ( around 40 of them :D ) and we had a right royal toast of the new Mobi home, as well as toasting in the New Year.

This year, the Thai contingent stay home (phew :D ), and the Brit side of the family take over. Not quite so many, but I will have six adult guests, ages ranging 30 to mid 60's, plus Mr & Mrs Mobi.

I can't face another piss up at home, and anyyway, I would imagine my guests would rather hit the town.

I know the major hotels all put on a big bash, so it's a question of does anyone recommend somewhere special for a good New Year's party?

A hotel? or is there anywhere else where I can be assured of a good time.

I think we're a bit old for the disco clubs - at least I am, anyway. :D

Thanks in advance for any suggestions - which may also help others to plan.

:D:D

:o

Mobi,

I know when you book a room in the "New Year" window, you are automatically charged for a New Years Eve bash...whether you go or not.

I don't recall if they sell tickets to "walk-in's" but if I recall, the tickets were around 2500 a pop.

Maybe try Shenanigans on Second Road?

I like to start the evening early, and wander up and down walking street, have a few drinks, then get back home around 11.30 pm and watch the fireworks from my balcony with Mrs. Libya, and get a few photos.

A bit sad I know, but I must be getting old. Plus all the amateur drinkers are out in force and the sky-high entrance prices are crazy. I went to the Montien New Year bash a few years ago, it was O.K. but overpriced in return for the evening. Correct me if I'm wrong but it was 5,000 baht per head, then!

Out here in the boonies it is a little bit different.

The thought of staying awake until midnight is just about unheard of, if that does happen on any day it will be spontaneous, not planned.

New Years Eve is the same as any normal day..... Day number one isn't, party all day.... I may be odd, but that makes sense to me, go to sleep as normal, wake up the next day and celebrate that a new year is in town, then sleep again and carry on.

The getting off your face on the eve and then spending the next day in the recovery position and then being unable to sleep that night because you spent most of the previous 24 hours lapsing in an out of consciousness was quite attractive at the time.....

Not any more.....

The 31st, normal day.

The 1st :o

//edit/just read the topic title/sorry

Edited by Thaddeus

I'm off working just before X-mas/New Year :o ....

Keep away from city center if you don't want any missing limbs - they (meaning almost all people) are carrying huge "bombs" ready to throw at you.

Be safe, stay away from city if possible. Hotel should work I guess.

Last year I was at a safe distance (behind Carrefour) at my friends place, excellent view of the shore fireworks and without any eardrums blown away.

I will seeing the new year home safe away from the thai nut cases with fireworks throwing them at any passerbys feet.

Unfortunately (or fortunately :D ) I'm in the hospitality business, so for me it's double work instead of party time!

Gotta prepare a party night for 100+ people :o

Anyway, guess I'd rather stay inside if I was free, It's saturday night 7 days a week anyways, so I don't feel the need to hit the town when pretty much everybody is going to go berserk :D

I've never really enjoyed these "special" nights, expectations are invariably high, so it's easy to end up dissapointed.

On top of it, you'd need a driver, there'll be roadblocks all over town, shitloads of drunk gung ho drivers, simply a bad time to be on the road...

I like to start the evening early, and wander up and down Walking Street, have a few drinks, then get back home around 11.30 pm and watch the fireworks from my balcony with Mrs. Libya, and get a few photos.

Me too Libya.........but on the roof with Mrs. Artisan, Baby Artisan and Artisan's friends. Enjoy your New Year's Eve.

Last New Year was my first in Pattaya. after making the big move from Bangkok.

I basically had a huge piss -up at the Mobi Mansion, and all my up-country family and friends on the wife's side came to stay ( around 40 of them :D ) and we had a right royal toast of the new Mobi home, as well as toasting in the New Year.

This year, the Thai contingent stay home (phew :D ), and the Brit side of the family take over. Not quite so many, but I will have six adult guests, ages ranging 30 to mid 60's, plus Mr & Mrs Mobi.

I can't face another piss up at home, and anyyway, I would imagine my guests would rather hit the town.

I know the major hotels all put on a big bash, so it's a question of does anyone recommend somewhere special for a good New Year's party?

Anywhere but on the balcony of a multi storey condo!

You may find what you want, my take is - don't be near any beach in Pattaya on NYE.

Last year, it was a nightmare. Any drunk could fire any kind of missile in any direction.

May stay in Isaan for that night.

Wake up junta's radio news is better than losing an eye in Pattaya wild drunk celebrations of nothing.

Looks like its too dangerous in town, too dangerous at the beaches. Hotels are too expensive. We're too old for discos. Don't want to stay home.

How about a small resort out of town? Won't cost an arm and a leg. Resort that comes to mind is Dok Krai. Nice setting on a lake. Party room. Good host. And John will send minivan for you and take you back home. Out in the middle of nowhere but very beautiful. Your guests will love it, I'm sure. Some other night you can take them to see the sights of downtown Pattaya when they are less likely to lose eyes and eardrums!

I like your change of atavar. This one and last one are beautiful!

Looks like its too dangerous in town, too dangerous at the beaches. Hotels are too expensive. We're too old for discos. Don't want to stay home.

How about a small resort out of town? Won't cost an arm and a leg. Resort that comes to mind is Dok Krai. Nice setting on a lake. Party room. Good host. And John will send minivan for you and take you back home. Out in the middle of nowhere but very beautiful. Your guests will love it, I'm sure. Some other night you can take them to see the sights of downtown Pattaya when they are less likely to lose eyes and eardrums!

I like your change of atavar. This one and last one are beautiful!

Hi Tammi,

Thanks for your input. You've summed up things pretty well.

Your suggestion sounds very interesting - but excuse my ignorance - where is Dok Krai?

I'm glad you like my avatars - can't make up my mind which wife I want to show - the human one or my soppy 'Cookie'. I reckon Cookie makes more fuss of me so she has pole position for the moment :D

Edited by Mobi D'Ark

Thanks for your input. You've summed up things pretty well.

Your suggestion sounds very interesting - but excuse my ignorance - where is Dok Krai?

I'm glad you like my avatars - can't make up my mind which wife I want to show - the human one or my soppy 'Cookie'. I reckon Cookie makes moie fuss of me so she has pole position for the moment :o

Good Morning Mobi...have a look at their website. There is a map showing you how to reach Dok Krai going along the road to Rayong from the Banglamung intersection in North Pattaya'

Dok Krai

Good Morning Mobi...have a look at their website. There is a map showing you how to reach Dok Krai going along the road to Rayong from the Banglamung intersection in North Pattaya'

Dok Krai

Thanks Artisan, it looks lovely :D

Tammi, any idea what sort of New Year's party they are planning?

Will you be there? :o

Edited by Mobi D'Ark

The fireworks at the beach front is a great place to be.

There are lots of beach vendors to supply the drink or you can just get your own from 7/11 but for me I will be on the condo roof getting a fantastic view across the bay (Heineken in hand) with Mrs Tufty :o

Dok Krai

Thanks Artisan, it looks lovely :D

Tammi, any idea what sort of New Year's party they are planning?

Will you be there? :o

I don't know what they have planned. Phone John - he is a very affable Welshman. Linda is Thai.

I would love to be there but other commitment.

Best, Tammi :D