Phetchaburi town submerged after river overflows

webfact

380_Flood.jpg

PHETCHABURI: -- Phetchaburi town is now under water with almost all roads in the municipal areas being submerged after the Phetchaburi dam discharged excess water into the Phetchaburi river, causing it to overflow banks.

The widespread flooding has forced several schools, particularly kindergarten and municipal schools in the town to close for at least four days.

A section of the Phetkasem Highway passing Phetchaburi, particularly from Phetcharat hospital to Ban Lad, or from Kilometre 157-159 is now under 30-40 centimetres of water, posing difficulties for small motor vehicles to pass.

Highway police were deployed on the highway to give advice to motorists driving to the South to use other alternative route instead.

But for traffic to Bangkok, small vehicles can still pass the section as flood level is not high.

In the town, unaware motorist trying to drive through the flooded area but later got stuck in flood almost reaching car roof top.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/phetchaburi-town-submerged-after-river-overflows/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2016-11-02

On the contrary, there is a lot of rice farming in this area.

Anyway, this event seems rather strange to me. The Kaeng Krachan reservoir feeding the Petchaburi river is nowhere full, 45% as of todays statistic and I can confirm this from my visit about 10 days ago...

I don't understand the thinking behind this release of water, if it was necessary why not just open the gates a teeny bit so the flow is controlled IE maybe a cm or 2 so that the river can take the increased flow without causing flooding and the level upstream is also reduced, or am I being stupid...........again. 

13 hours ago, webfact said:

I think the headline should be amended to read "Phetchaburi town flooded after river overflows". Using the word "submerged" gives the impression that the whole town was underwater to the rooftops.

12 hours ago, Collins said:

On the contrary, there is a lot of rice farming in this area.

Anyway, this event seems rather strange to me. The Kaeng Krachan reservoir feeding the Petchaburi river is nowhere full, 45% as of todays statistic and I can confirm this from my visit about 10 days ago...

had  a  lot  of  rain here  in the  last 1o  days 

6 hours ago, kannot said:

had  a  lot  of  rain here  in the  last 1o  days 

Interesting. So the water masses must have accumulated mostly downstream it seems. At least my garden pond will be completely filled up by now...