Amnesty shocked to find it’s been locked out of Moscow office

webfact

Amnesty shocked to find it’s been locked out of Moscow office

Seamus Kearney

606x341_348537.jpg

MOSCOW: -- Amnesty International is sending out an SOS over the closing down of its office in Moscow.

Staff arrived at work to find the locks had been changed, the power cut off and official seals placed over the doors.

The Moscow city council, which owns the building, claims the group is behind in its rent. But Amnesty claims it is all paid up.

Sergei Nikitin, the head of Amnesty International in Russia, told reporters: “We totally do not understand what has happened. We did not get any warnings. We did not get any messages via mail or email.

“And I want to stress that during more than 20 years of us renting we have always paid in time. And there can be no doubt that this is not an eviction due to missed payments.”

Amnesty, which often criticises Russian authorities, says there may have been some kind of administrative mix-up, but the move may also be part of a recent crackdown on civil society groups.

euronews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Euronews 2016-11-03

4 hours ago, Familyaffairs said:

Its not a surprising thing to happen in a dictatorship. 

Amnesty International does nothing to help people. Their average salary for the white collar executives is over 200,000 USD each. Joke group, only care about there next pay cheque. They holiday in Bangkok.

9 minutes ago, bark said:

Amnesty International does nothing to help people. Their average salary for the white collar executives is over 200,000 USD each. Joke group, only care about there next pay cheque. They holiday in Bangkok.

Not true. They may not be perfect,  but they do some very good things. You don't get a Nobel Peace Prize for doing nothing!  LOL

18 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

Not true. They may not be perfect,  but they do some very good things. You don't get a Nobel Peace Prize for doing nothing!  LOL

Sorry Craig I must correct you on this one. We all know one person who received it and he did absolutely nothing. But that was an exception, not the rule.

44 minutes ago, elgordo38 said:

Something  poked/provoked the Russian Bear. He is acting rather strange lately. They seem to be scanning the skies looking for 'Doctor Strangelove"

I read a report saying Putin is getting nervous as the economy is bad and people are starting to protest, as best they can anyway. He's nervous what happened in Ukraine will happen to him. Regimen change. Thus,  the increased propaganda and increased crackdown on the press. Trying to control the masses.

Just an op ed piece.  I'll try to find it.

46 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

I read a report saying Putin is getting nervous as the economy is bad and people are starting to protest, as best they can anyway. He's nervous what happened in Ukraine will happen to him. Regimen change. Thus,  the increased propaganda and increased crackdown on the press. Trying to control the masses.

Just an op ed piece.  I'll try to find it.

I think your right. The masses are getting restless. They seemed to have penetrated the iron wall around social media. Its a topsy turvy world.

41 minutes ago, bark said:

Correct Sir. The London I.S. office is crammed full of  limp-wristed careerists, sitting on obscene salaries, counting their expenses while stuffing their pockets with other people's money.