Bollywood Kurry -- Sophisticated, Delicious, and Well Priced Indian food

Jingthing

11 hours ago, ThailandFoodExpert said:

Hi, I just tried it and it's quite good and interesting with special dishes never found anywhere else before.

You can bring your own drink, any ok.

This is food from North India.

Thank you for the report!

And one can recognize their fellow T-Vers when they walk in with their bottles of water and cans of Coke ?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi there, Indian food fans.

It's BOLLYWOOD KURRY time again.

This time a new dish to me (maybe not to you).

bollykofta.jpg

All  cottage cheese koftas (dumplings) in an non-spicy cashew nut, cream, and saffron:licklips: sauce. Absolutely scrumptious, a little sweet, it's good for those that don't like spicy or you want a non-spicy dish to contrast other spicy dishes. Happy surprise that the sauce wasn't nearly as heavy tasting as I would have expected by the ingredients.

I've had koftas many times before but made with vegetables in a darker spicy gravy. This was ALL cottage cheese.

To order just order the ALL COTTAGE CHEESE kofta. It's mislabeled on the menu. They have two other kofta choices. One of the other choices is a mix of cottage cheese and vegetable. 

For me, the dish reminded me mostly of BLINTZES which is more of a sweet brunch type dish and also kind of like Russian pelmeni pasta stuffed with sweet cottage cheese. But neither of those have the almost decadently elegant GRAVY as on this Indian dish. 

While there, as they have now been open well over a month, I asked about which are their BEST SELLING dishes so far.  Well, it's mostly typical dishes, as follows:

Biryanis (choice of meats or veg)

Butter Chicken

Yellow dal

Lamb kebabs (I think, a little fuzzy on that one)

Crispy Chilli Prawns (Chinese Indian fusion dish same style as I pictured before in the Crispy Chilli Baby Corn)

In pursuing the now notorious Samosa "controversy"  (are they the same everywhere or not, people need to know!) brought up by a member on this thread, I did ask about their Samosas about whether they were "really good" or just boring?

I was told yes they are really good, made in house of course, but the proof is in the eating, and alas, they weren't prepared for that night. For later then. 

I do have a funny samosa story from another Pattaya restaurant. I really don't order them very often, but it's usually when they're SUB-PAR when they really stand out. Well I tried them at a place that generally had good food, and they were really quite awful. The owner's reply when I shared my impression, well, you know, samosas! No, I didn't really know ... but the plot thickens. 

Edited by Jingthing

• 2 weeks later...

Vegetable Samosas BENGALI style RED!

Well, I went for the samosa challenge.

A member here claimed samosas are samosas, the same dish in every restaurant.

So might as well only go for the CHEAPEST. 

Really? :coffee1:

Well, I'm here to tell you (and show you) that the samosas at BOLLYWOOD KURRY are not the same. They have a chicken version and a vegetarian version. I tried the vegetarian version but when I bit into it, SURPRISE!

bollsam.jpg

Four samosas (100 baht) stuffed Bengali style w/

BEETROOT (the red)

Cashew nuts

Potatoes

Peas

Garlic Paste

Onion Paste

other spices

Yes, special and delicious. 

Edited by Jingthing

1 minute ago, autoc said:

True that they really look homemade. Only 100 baht for 4 samosa is cheap !

I agree besides being super delicious and an unusual style, they are a great deal. Yes, you get four smaller size samosas. Some places do them much bigger and perhaps serve two. 

10 percent discount if you mention Thaivisa too ... 

On 12/7/2016 at 10:36 PM, Jingthing said:

I agree besides being super delicious and an unusual style, they are a great deal. Yes, you get four smaller size samosas. Some places do them much bigger and perhaps serve two. 

10 percent discount if you mention Thaivisa too ... 

I have tried 3 of the dishes you are advertising and didnt find them overly enticing.

On 12/5/2016 at 10:18 PM, Jingthing said:

Four samosas (100 baht) stuffed Bengali style w/

BEETROOT (the red)

Cashew nuts

Yes, special and...

...yuckish² :sick: but then... one man's caviar is the other man's beetroot (the red) and cashew nuts :sleep:

...yuckish² :sick: but then... one man's caviar is the other man's beetroot (the red) and cashew nuts :sleep:

Caviar nan? Pass the idea to the chef. The beetroot in the samosas doesn't overpower the flavor and the nuts give an interesting crunch surprise texture.

On 11/27/2016 at 2:10 PM, Jingthing said:

Hi there, Indian food fans.

It's BOLLYWOOD KURRY time again.

This time a new dish to me (maybe not to you).

bollykofta.jpg

All  cottage cheese koftas (dumplings) in an non-spicy cashew nut, cream, and saffron:licklips: sauce. Absolutely scrumptious, a little sweet, it's good for those that don't like spicy or you want a non-spicy dish to contrast other spicy dishes. Happy surprise that the sauce wasn't nearly as heavy tasting as I would have expected by the ingredients.

I've had koftas many times before but made with vegetables in a darker spicy gravy. This was ALL cottage cheese.

To order just order the ALL COTTAGE CHEESE kofta. It's mislabeled on the menu. They have two other kofta choices. One of the other choices is a mix of cottage cheese and vegetable. 

For me, the dish reminded me mostly of BLINTZES which is more of a sweet brunch type dish and also kind of like Russian pelmeni pasta stuffed with sweet cottage cheese. But neither of those have the almost decadently elegant GRAVY as on this Indian dish. 

While there, as they have now been open well over a month, I asked about which are their BEST SELLING dishes so far.  Well, it's mostly typical dishes, as follows:

Biryanis (choice of meats or veg)

Butter Chicken

Yellow dal

Lamb kebabs (I think, a little fuzzy on that one)

Crispy Chilli Prawns (Chinese Indian fusion dish same style as I pictured before in the Crispy Chilli Baby Corn)

In pursuing the now notorious Samosa "controversy"  (are they the same everywhere or not, people need to know!) brought up by a member on this thread, I did ask about their Samosas about whether they were "really good" or just boring?

I was told yes they are really good, made in house of course, but the proof is in the eating, and alas, they weren't prepared for that night. For later then. 

I do have a funny samosa story from another Pattaya restaurant. I really don't order them very often, but it's usually when they're SUB-PAR when they really stand out. Well I tried them at a place that generally had good food, and they were really quite awful. The owner's reply when I shared my impression, well, you know, samosas! No, I didn't really know ... but the plot thickens. 

I just tried their Malai Kofta.  I told them that I like lots of spices but want it just a bit hot.  I have never had this. It was a vegetarian dish.  It was really delicious!  Four dumpling things (not sure what, maybe cottage cheese with something added) in a wonderful curry sauce.  200 bhat.  I had palak paneer earlier, but I would skip that and try this dish if you have never had it.  One of the best Indian dishes I have ever had, and I lived there for nearly two years.  Thanks for the tip Jingthing......much appreciated.

MALAI KOFTA.jpg

Sounds like the kofta dish there that's a mix of cottage cheese and vegetables. I had the all cottage cheese kofta. I'm not surprised that was good too. Got to try that one sometime too. 

About the black chickpeas dish which is indeed intentionally very dry, I have also had their more standard combination green lentil dal dish which is in a more usual wet dal sauce. Excellent. 

43 minutes ago, RabC said:
Guess this is an easy way to advertise without sponsoring. You get a whole thread to your own restaurant.............

It's not my restaurant.

The thread is not controlled by the restaurant.

Both positive and negative comments are welcome here. A true advertisement doesn't allow any negative comments.

Many people over the years have opened new threads to talk about one restaurant. Often those threads fizzle out but sometimes they find resonance as this one has to a good degree.

All members here are free to open new threads about one restaurant. Occasionally I do that but usually I post about new restaurant finds on the long standing Hit and Run restaurant review thread and I encourage others to liberally post there as well.

I already explained my subjective reasons why I thought this place deserves a dedicated thread.

If you feel the existence of this thread violates forum rules you are free to report your complaint to moderation.

Edited by Jingthing

18 minutes ago, RabC said:

Guess this is an easy way to advertise without sponsoring. You get a whole thread to your own restaurant.............

Not a very smart comment when knowing that Jimthing is just nice enough to share with us his great finds.

"Ouote:  From Mr Jing...

.. I already explained my subjective reasons why I thought this place deserves a dedicated thread.

If you feel the existence of this thread violates forum rules you are free to report your complaint to moderatio

.Yet

From a LOCKED dedicated restaurant review, posted the  end of November .....

.Ouote.....Thanks for the dedicated restaurant plug, so we don't get lots of restaurant topic all with their own thread please post in the running Hit and Run topic topic HERE

Thank you

Well...Just curious...

Little bit of a double standard you think ??  Oh and  a plug for ur ancient 2012 restaurants review 

Just saying :-)

Some more dishes to discover. Maybe you'd like, maybe you wouldn't.

Neither are dishes I would really order again as I have other personal favorites there, but enjoyed them both the one time.

"Abu Dhabi" Chilli chicken kebabs served with melted mozzarella (or similar) cheese. Yes I know mozzarella cheese isn't a typical Indian food ingredient. 280.

Nice flavors, cheese isn't mentioned on menu (menu error).

I was hoping for some chilli pain. Didn't deliver on that.

IMG_20161212_185727.jpg

Aloo Ghobi, the classic. 150.

Enjoyable and the less than heavy sauce was welcome. 

However, their style of this classic dish didn't match my preference.

IMG_20161212_185955.jpg

Not a very smart comment when knowing that Jimthing is just nice enough to share with us his great finds.

Doesn't matter.

People interested in this thread should read it and perhaps contribute something constructive to it.

If not best to ignore it.

Cheers.

Some changes afoot at BOLLYWOOD KURRY.

Approaching the restaurant in front, you will see signs promoting about four choices for Indian (and one western) BREAKFAST sets. 

The Indian ones include some kind of savory bread type choice, including their remarkably good SAMOSAS. 

I didn't study all the offers yet but the prices were about 150 baht per set and the offers are GOOD all the time they're open. Not only morning hours.

Speaking of samosas, they plan to have a chaat case out in front selling samosas and other Indian style snack foods. As far as SAMOSAS, though probably not all available yet all the time, there will be additional interesting choices.

There are the two Bengali style samosas previously mentioned, one vegetarian and made RED with beetroot, and one chicken.

Coming are SPICY LENTIL stuffed samosas (wow!) and something I've never heard of, samosas stuffed with CHINESE NOODLES (interesting, eh?).

Edited by Jingthing

• 1 month later...

It's been awhile so I've got some new info about BOLLYWOOD KURRY.

Did I mention before they're open quite late ... past midnight?

First of all, turns out they are not really expanding their SAMOSA menu. The opposite actually. 

If you want to try the vegetarian samosas with the BEETROOT in it or the lentil stuffed samosas you'll need to contact them a day in advance to order.

Can still get samosas without beetroot without doing that.

Oh well!

Anyway, have tried some new dishes with pictures, so here goes:

Chinese Indian fusion Chilli Chicken. I prefered the baby corn version though:

bolly1.jpg

Their version of vegetable Pakoras. Tasty of course. Notice a different style from the single veg. piece you see most places. 

bolly2.jpg

Mashed potato chaat thing. Chole something. Very delicious. Wow! I think many westerners would love this stuff. Pimped up mashed potatoes, what's not to love?

bolly3.jpg

Chicken bharta, good with naan or roti.

A very comforting curry dish. It reminds me of an Indian version of the retro style American dish, Chicken a la King, but much more flavor of course.

BTW, in case you think the small chunks of chicken is a fault, that's how this dish is SUPPOSED to be made, so don't stress, their other chicken dishes have appropriately sized pieces for the dish. 

bolly4.jpg

Oh, in case you're wondering, the TEN PERCENT OFF your entire bill including drinks still applies just by mentioning THAIVISA. 

Edited by Jingthing

55 minutes ago, crazyk said:

Do they do pathia's

Not on the menu. You could ask if they can cook it as they're very open to requests. It's a British curry house thing and it's not a British curry house. I think I recall there's a place on Soi Buakow that has dishes like that -- Curry Home.

https://www.facebook.com/CURRY-HOME-933912140088314/

Edited by Jingthing

• 1 month later...

Not forgetting the lovely and welcoming Bollywood Kurry restaurant. 
Stopped by tonight for an unusual meal.

Northern Indian methi dum aloo (160) and paratha nan (50) (not regular paratha) with south Indian curd rice (100), topped off with a buttermilk masala (50). Yes, a lot of dairy.  Bloody delicious but not really bloody because it was all veg.

10 percent discount for saying Thaivisa still applies.

http://www.food.com/recipe/methi-dum-aloo-fenugreek-indian-spicy-potatoes-92331

Edited by Jingthing

• 1 month later...

This place picking up business now largely with South Asian and Arab world clientele. Posting because there is some news. They now feature a picture menu. The pictures are huge! This seems a great idea as their regular menu which still exists has so many dishes most westerners wouldn't know.

A new dish for me there. Harilayeh Kofta which is a vegetable and cheese Kofta in a rich mild spinach gravy. Also on the table a new kind of chili pickle from India that is not always possible to source.

10 percent off bill still applies by mentioning Thaivisa.

Forget to mention, on my last visit every table in the joint, inside and out was taken. Doesn't mean it won't be empty when you visit, but it's encouraging when a restaurant like this, that offers quite good food with service that aims to please every customer (not ever possible, but it is possible to TRY), gets justly rewarded with business.

I tried this place last month and I thought my chicken tika masala chicken had a strange texture, my friend said it was a bit rare when he tried it, but I ate it anyway and no problems later on, naan bread was good - they went out and got me a Leo from 7-11 as they didnt have any (no kingfisher or any other indian beers available of course) 

my friend really enjoyed his lamb curry although he said it was not spicy at all even though he asked for it very spicy... also we had same problem in tika centre, he asked for it very spicy and it wasn't - they just passed him a pot of chili powder to spice it up... not really what id have expected, id have thought they would take it back and add more spice...  is there a problem getting an extra spicy curry in thailand? I know its not an issue with thai food.

There is a general pattern with Indian food restaurants to not fully believe westerners when they ask for very spicy especially the first time. It could happen at this place too. The trouble is different people's perception of what exactly is very spicy can be radically different. There is also the tricky issue of spice vs. chilies. Personally I like heavy on both in dishes where that works. If you become a repeat customer at most places including this one they can learn about your individual spice preferences.

Now I have a funny story about this place. I had been ordering super hot and spicy and was definitely getting it but then on some dishes the chili level was so high that the other spice flavors were covered. I don't want that and further adjustments were made to avoid that.

Another thing yes there are a number of Indian dishes that are really meant to be more subtle where super hot and spicy just doesn't work, Indians would never want it that way so in some cases they may even be doing you a favor to do it more mildly.

For example the cheese Koftas in saffron sauce would be ridiculous to do very hot and spicy.

Anyway the short answer is become a repeat customer and communicate about your preferences and that should work.