Bollywood Kurry -- Sophisticated, Delicious, and Well Priced Indian food

Jingthing

Very rarely, I start a new dedicated thread about one exciting new restaurant rather than a quick and dirty mention on the Hit and Run restaurant "review" thread. Because I think they are worthy of special attention.

This is such an exception --

BOLLYWOOD KURRY

Location -- South Pattaya.
2nd road. In the middle of the Middle Eastern / Indian district there
Next to the White Rose Hotel
http://www.soidb.com/pattaya/hotel/white-rose-hotel.html
Roughly across from the Beverly Plaza Hotel

Open seven days.
Breakfast served as well.

There is a there here.
Many people are looking for better Indian food at moderate prices in Pattaya, and find themselves frustrated.

Bollywood Kurry might be the answer. (You'll have to see for yourself.)

Some features of this enjoyable NEW place:

Indian chef
Fun distinctive Bollywood theme decor
Bollywood movies and music will be played in future months (current mourning period restricts)
Restaurant owners from Kolkota India
Regional items on menu, ask at the restaurant for details
Menu includes many items not usually found on standard Indian menus, but standards can be done as well
Papadum and chutneys offered with meals
Prices moderate level for Pattaya market (for example lamb curries in the 200s baht range)
Extremely interesting (and perhaps overly long) FUN menu ... but don't worry, the English speaking owners are very happy to help you locate items you may want.
In addition to general Indian food and REGIONAL Indian food, you will also find a robust offering of Chinese-Indian fusion, some Indian style Italian dishes, and even some English food.

The menu has wide offerings for both vegetarians and meat eaters. Meats on offer are chicken, fish, prawns, and lamb.

Also ... a sophisticated selection of CHAAT items (Indian street snacks / appetizers)
Also ... special inventive FUN drinks menu.
Also ... owners have a background in Indian sweets, so a great Indian dessert menu.
Also ... not an Indian dessert, but you might want to check out the SIZZLING brownie

Most important of all, the food is very good quality and delicious.

Some dishes I have had.

The dry Pindi dal ... these are black chickpeas. 
Chicken biryani ... can ask for on the bone if you want. Redolant of cardomom.
Chili Baby corn ... Chinese Indian fusion. Excellent version. The texture of the baby corn works so well.
Potato curry with fenugreek ... elegant

Fish curry ... (I think Bengali style) exceptional
Crispy nan (regional version)
Assorted vegetarian kebabs ... they have a large choice of them, you can choose 4 of them for a sample platter

Please note -- information provided sincerely but not claimed to be 100 percent accurate.

Please visit yourself and add your personal impressions to this thread.

Also pictures of dishes that you eat there most welcome. 

Edited by Jingthing

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actual pictures of food from Bollywood Kurry:

Pindi dry dal (black chickpeas, so cool)

0bollchana.jpg

Potato chaat, see how fancy

0bollpotchaat.jpg

Potato curry w/ fenugreek w/ crispy naan

0bollpot.jpg

Chili baby corn (Chinese Indian fusion)

Ask for as hot and spicy as you want 

0bollcorn.jpg

Chicken biryani (actually tastes like biryani)

0bollbir.jpg

The best for last? Well, not sure, but here goes.

The owners of Bollywood Kurry have offered a DISCOUNT to all that mention THAIVISA of TEN percent off their entire food bill including drinks.

This generous offer does NOT have a time limit. (Unless the owners change their mind.)

It's good for your entire group any time the restaurant is open.

I know there are always cynics here so I'll say this proactively ... I have no financial connection to this restaurant or indeed ANY restaurant.

Just here to pass on some good information about what I believe is a good restaurant. 

If there are any issues with this discount offer, you're welcome to mention them here, but again, that's between you and the restaurant.

Edited by Jingthing

2 hours ago, OMGImInPattaya said:

The frozen British Indian curries at Foodland, and other outlets, are good enough...steam some rice or patotoes and you have a nice meal.

Yet another peeps without a pallet. Frozen food against fresh??? 

Nice post J/T

Edited by fredob43

1 hour ago, fredob43 said:

Yet another peeps without a pallet. Frozen food against fresh??? 

Nice post J/T

To clarify, this thread is only for discussion of this one specific Indian restaurant in Pattaya, Bollywood Kurry.

It is not intended as a general Indian restaurant thread. We've had a number of those (including rather recently) and people are always welcome to post about all Indian restaurants on the HIT and RUN thread.

MOST WELCOME here will be sincere comments about dishes that people actually eat at Bollywood Kurry, including pictures. As they do have a rather long and complex menu, sharing information about different dishes may help others find things they might like, or not like. 

Edited by Jingthing

6 hours ago, guzzi850m2 said:

Thanks for that JT, most of the Indian restaurants here are way overpriced in my opinion but this one sounds wort a visit.

It's such a shame my Thai wife don't like Indian food that much so will likely go alone.

I don't want to give the impression that this restaurant has cheap prices. The prices are middle level for the local Indian restaurant market. 

What I think makes it good value compared to the local competition at similar prices is the food. Food tastes are subjective so I can't predict how others will feel.

The 10 percent discount (for food and drink) just for mentioning THAIVISA (which you can do indefinitely) helps a little and also there is no PLUS PLUS there.

Here are some sample prices. These dishes also give an idea that many of their dishes are not the usual standards but they also do have the usual standards. Another great feature of this place is that they include excellent details of what's in the dishes in ENGLISH on the menu. So if an item sounds unfamiliar, don't worry, it is described on their menu.

Hot and sour soup w/ chicken (Chinese/Indian fusion) 95
Hyderabadi Sholat Paneer Tikka 260
Stuff Hara Bhara Kebab 190
Reshmi Chicken Kebab 240
Lamb Gilafi Seekh Kebab 285
Paneer Pasinda (curry) 265
Dry Alloo Jeera 140
Rajasthani Aloo Dum 260 (pictures in previous thread as potato curry)
Subz Miloni 190
Margisi Kofta 240
Yellow Dal Tadkewali 150
Chicken Bhurta 230
Chicken Tikka Masala (for the Brits!) 250
Lamb Kasa 250
Fish Masala 220
Plain nan 30
Plain basmati rice 50
Hyderabadi Chicken Biryani 220 (pictured before)
Aloo Chaat 80 (pictured before)
Crispy Chilli Chicken 240 (chicken version of baby corn dish pictured before)(Chinese/Indian fusion)

I will also add I don't recall if they serve alcoholic drinks or not. They have a novelty drink menu but I didn't really look at it. Will confirm later either way.

Edited by Jingthing

26 minutes ago, SidJames said:

Nice one JT, I will have a go when I get a chance but do you know if they have a policy on bringing your own wine?

I have no idea and being such a new place not sure they have even thought about a policy for that.

Edited by Jingthing

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

I don't want to give the impression that this restaurant has cheap prices. The prices are middle level for the local Indian restaurant market. 

What I think makes it good value compared to the local competition at similar prices is the food. Food tastes are subjective so I can't predict how others will feel.

The 10 percent discount (for food and drink) just for mentioning THAIVISA (which you can do indefinitely) helps a little and also there is no PLUS PLUS there.

Here are some sample prices. These dishes also give an idea that many of their dishes are not the usual standards but they also do have the usual standards. Another great feature of this place is that they include excellent details of what's in the dishes in ENGLISH on the menu. So if an item sounds unfamiliar, don't worry, it is described on their menu.

I will also add I don't recall if they serve alcoholic drinks or not. They have a novelty drink menu but I didn't really look at it. Will confirm later either way.

Not all Brits go for the Chicken Tikka Masala. My Brit preference is a non veg Thali.

Little bit's of everything on a platter to the uninitiated.

Good thing to try first time as it'll give you a taster of how their food is.

Have had several in Pattaya before all bar none have been rubbish.

JT you don't say if they serve such a dish, but you might like to have a word with the boss on your next visit. 

How does it compare with Madras Durbar ? Do they have Southern Indian dishes or is their menu dominated with Bengali and Northern style food ?

would be good to have another place locally with great Southern style food, fish curries, dosas and sambars.

How does it compare with Madras Durbar ? Do they have Southern Indian dishes or is their menu dominated with Bengali and Northern style food ?
would be good to have another place locally with great Southern style food, fish curries, dosas and sambars.

Great question. They have food from multiple Indian regions but do not feature South Indian and do not offer dosas.

Not all Brits go for the Chicken Tikka Masala. My Brit preference is a non veg Thali.

Little bit's of everything on a platter to the uninitiated.

Good thing to try first time as it'll give you a taster of how their food is.

Have had several in Pattaya before all bar none have been rubbish.

JT you don't say if they serve such a dish, but you might like to have a word with the boss on your next visit. 

Yes they do offer veg and non veg thalis in two sizes as well. Not the lowest price in town even for the small size options but curious to hear your feedback if you try.

Honestly I don't actually agree with you that thalis are the best way to judge Indian restaurants but as always food tastes are subjective.

Also yes I was kind of joking about the chicken tikka masala but there's no denying the popularity of that dish in the U.K.

Brits may be curious about the English food options on their menu. I'm not but I was amused to see it on an Indian menu. Similarly the Italian.

21 hours ago, OMGImInPattaya said:

deleted

Those who do not care about new Indian Restaurants can choose not to open/read this topic (the clue to the subject matter is in the title).

Those who already have a favourite (e.g.- me) might find that this new one is more conveniently situated, or less expensive, or they might be fans of Bollywood. Maybe they just like to try new places.

I'm struggling to think what could be the possible purpose of your post.

Edited by seedy
Quote Hidden Post

9 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Yes they do offer veg and non veg thalis in two sizes as well. Not the lowest price in town even for the small size options but curious to hear your feedback if you try.

Honestly I don't actually agree with you that thalis are the best way to judge Indian restaurants but as always food tastes are subjective.

Also yes I was kind of joking about the chicken tikka masala but there's no denying the popularity of that dish in the U.K.

Brits may be curious about the English food options on their menu. I'm not but I was amused to see it on an Indian menu. Similarly the Italian.

I'm off back to the UK in a day or two for a month, but once I'm next in Pattaya will give them a try.

Why I think that a Thali is a good way to go especially if dining alone, is you get a small selection of different foods if you don't like one thing nothing lost. As you say not every one likes the same thing. 

Nothing worse than ordering a hole dish only to find it's not to your taste.

Agree with you that Chicken Tikka the most popular dish on the British Indian menu is almost laughable in it's originality. Not to dissimilar to Chop Suey on the Chinese one. 

The times I have been in China town UK and someone orders same only to be told that it's not Chinese so they don't sell it.

Do hope that they get a good patronage as they sound Ok. It wont be the first or last restaurant to close due to lack of punters.

Keep up the good work JT. 

2 hours ago, OMGImInPattaya said:

deleted

deleted

I have been looking for an  good  alternative Indian restaurant for a long time, not really being interested in anything other than European/Thai  cuisine that my wife is entirely satisfactory in providing for me, it is  seldom that we ever eat out  for a meal in Pattaya, economics and a poor budget are the reason for that.

However I would break the budget for a some  good  Westernised "Indian"food and therefore for me at least, JTs thread on this restaurant  is one that I would have missed if he had included it in the normal thread on Restaurants in Pattaya.

So "Thankyou" JT for your interesting, enthusiastic  and informative thread  and keep the good work up!

Edited by seedy
FLAMING

1 hour ago, n210mp said:

However I would break the budget for a some  good  Westernised "Indian"food and therefore for me at least, JTs thread on this restaurant  is one that I would have missed if he had included it in the normal thread on Restaurants in Pattaya.

I wouldn't call their Indian food "westernized" but interestingly the Indian-Chinese fusion dishes such as chilli baby corn, potato, or chicken remind me of Americanized Chinese dishes such as the famous GENERAL TSO'S Chicken. (But less sweet.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Tso's_chicken

That's kind of insider's tip for people that miss westernized Chinese food.

Also, there is no doubt that because of all the descriptive information on their menu items, the restaurant is very accessible to English speakers including people with little exposure to Indian food. 

Edited by Jingthing

50 minutes ago, JHolmesJr said:

got heartburn jst looking at the pics...pass 

That's what it's all about.:post-4641-1156694572: Sharing information and people make their own choices.

That said, those pics represent only a small fraction of their expansive menu. Such as kebabs. So many interesting choices of kebabs, both veg. and non - veg. 

Edited by Jingthing

Flaming post Removed. Reply to the post, do not attack the poster.

No one forces you to Post - or to Read - any Topic on this Forum.

Have something to contribute ... by all means Post it

Attacking Posters - or Topic Placement - will not be Tolerated.

Forum Rules -

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

8) You will not post disruptive or inflammatory messages, vulgarities, obscenities or profanities.

9) You will not post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling. Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

2 hours ago, n210mp said:

deleted

I have been looking for an  good  alternative Indian restaurant for a long time, not really being interested in anything other than European/Thai  cuisine that my wife is entirely satisfactory in providing for me, it is  seldom that we ever eat out  for a meal in Pattaya, economics and a poor budget are the reason for that.

So "Thankyou" JT for your interesting, enthusiastic  and informative thread  and keep the good work up!

You don't seem to follow JT's foodie reviews very closely...he's all about authenticity. If this place served "westernized" Indian food, he would have slammed it.

Cheap and good Western style Indian curries are available frozen at Foodland like I said. Add your own potatoes and/or rice and you have a meal for 200 baht.

If you only notice resto reviews that have their own threads, we're back to the problem the mods want to avoid and the reason for the consolidated restaurant thread.

Edited by OMGImInPattaya

Just ate at Bollywood.  I ordered a non-veg Thali.  The small Thali (they also have a large Thaili) came with a chicken curry, a yellow dal, rice, nan, and gulab jaman for desert.  I liked it, especially the spectacular rice--a long grain Indian rice that was cooked to perfection.  The other menu items seemed similar to the less expensive Indian Rasoi down the road (you don't get that same rice with a Thali at Indian Rasoi).  I will try it again and probably skip the Thali for some more interesting menu items.   The interior is interesting and the staff helpful.

That thali does sound a bit boring. Thalis often are. Like I said not the lowest price thali in town either. Thanks for being the guinea pig on their thalis.

For me their regular menu is so good that I'm not sure I would have ever tried their thali.

Another dish that caught my eye there is their chicken tangri legs tandoori stuffed with spiced cheese. Tangri is common but stuffed not.

It sounds OK. I have passed it many times and have not gone in. It, like most Indian places in Pattaya, never seems busy. The means slow turnover which in turn indicate stale food. Large menus don't impress me. A dozen well prepare meals is better than an overly long ambitious list. I'll check it out when I am pasing next.

27 minutes ago, The manic said:

It sounds OK. I have passed it many times and have not gone in. It, like most Indian places in Pattaya, never seems busy. The means slow turnover which in turn indicate stale food. Large menus don't impress me. A dozen well prepare meals is better than an overly long ambitious list. I'll check it out when I am pasing next.

It's only  been open about 3 weeks so they would have had to be very lucky to have packed houses right away especially considering the recent tourism situation. In general I share your attraction to smaller menus but in this case I'm not sure the larger menu is that big an issue. For example, paneer. Used in many dishes. Potatoes. Used in many dishes. Chicken. Used in many dishes. Bread dough. Used in many dishes. And so on. 

Considering the location the majority of customers are South Asian and Middle Eastern tourists. Middle Eastern tourists tend to order biryani. Of course a place like that would like to attract the less seasonal year round expat crowd. Whether they deserve that custom ... that's for the individual expats to decide. 

Edited by Jingthing

Thanks JT for discovering new restaurants.  I tried Bollywood Kurry this evening.  

For comparison, ordered my usual bhindi masala, tandoori roti and lassi.

instead of salt lassi the menu had masala lassi 70 baht, which was a bit different, but good.  One roti 25 baht was enough bread for me, tho the owner wanted me to order two.  Unfortunately the okra in the bhindi 160 baht was partly inedible.  They had cut big okras into big pieces.  Small okras are tender and easily chewable, but the big ones in this serving develop tough stringy fibers.  I chewed and chewed, but it wasn't happening.  

I had to give up and spit it out.  This was about the worst bhindi I've had.  

All else was ok:  quiet, no annoying TV that plagues some Indian restaurants, attractive menu, clean environment.  I might return and try another dish.

Interesting about the bhindi. I happen to love okra when it's cooked well and doesn't sit in stews and get slimy. I'm a little surprised to hear that it didn't work in a freshly cooked curry.

Oh well! Masala lassi is a new one to me too. Sounds like worth a try.

The rotis as at many places are thin so a small portion so I understand the suggestion to order two. Unlike one nan which is much more substantial. 

As far as t.v., well this place will start playing Bollywood movies and music at a later date. Again, oh well. Can't please everyone. 

Edited by Jingthing