Dental Work...bangkok Or Manila?

solodennis

Hi,

I went here thantakit for a crown, a bit expensive but they speak English and inform you well about preocedures and costs

clicke here for fees

Thanks for the link... actually the fees are very reasonable considering what a dentist can get where we live. A single veneer can cost from $900 to 1500 USD. I think that Manila has some good dentists but I cannot immagine hanging in Manila for a couple of weeks. It is crowded, dirty and somewhat expensive and little culture and little to do. On the other hand, I could easily hang out in Bangkok drinking Big Changs and eating great food for several weeks...

Also my sweet wife says it is OK to take in some of the local eye candy as long as I don't reach for any.... *smile*

dennis

Edited by solodennis

Hi,

I went here thantakit for a crown, a bit expensive but they speak English and inform you well about preocedures and costs

clicke here for fees

Thanks for the link... actually the fees are very reasonable considering what a dentist can get where we live. A single veneer can cost from $900 to 1500 USD. I think that Manila has some good dentists but I cannot immagine hanging in Manila for a couple of weeks. It is crowded, dirty and somewhat expensive and little culture and little to do. On the other hand, I could easily hang out in Bangkok drinking Big Changs and eating great food for several weeks...

Also my sweet wife says it is OK to take in some of the local eye candy as long as I don't reach for any.... *smile*

dennis

You can check out St Louis Hospital too - they have a dental clinic. I have heard good reviews and that they are reasonably priced. You can phone/email them and make on line appointments.

http://www.saintlouis.or.th/clinic/clinic_....php?dept_id=16

I cannot seem to get much response from the PI on this. Wonder if any expats might give any opinion. My Chinese-filipina wife need fillings, veneers and whatever the dentist recommends...I need a thorough checkup and laser whitening...

Thanks for any advise

My bf is an Orthodontist here in Bangkok, he does not recommend laser whitening cause it's a waste of money and only lasts a short time. PM me if you want a recommended Dentist from my bf. Just let me know what area you would stay.

Yes Thantakit overcharge like crazy, only cause they have flashy clinics. My bf worked for them & they always pick the wrong places to set-up a clinics. Business was slow so my bf got out.

world class dental work in bangkok.

1. bumungrad hospital.

2 bangkok dental clinic.

theres many places so google it.

stunning looking woman every where. many females here are dentists and it beats looking at some male. :o

eye candy free. :D

I cannot seem to get much response from the PI on this. Wonder if any expats might give any opinion. My Chinese-filipina wife need fillings, veneers and whatever the dentist recommends...I need a thorough checkup and laser whitening...

Thanks for any advise

My friends from the PI come to BKK for their dental work. :o:D:D:D

Hi,

clicke here for fees

dennis

Some company in Switzerland makes all the materials, dentists get it from there. If something is cheaper, there is a reason.

My dentist in Sydney told me that, even challenged me with price comparations for the same quality.

Indeed, Thailand was cheaper 10-15% for the same thing. Probably, only the lower labour cost.

My take would be - do it where you are. If something goes wrong, know where to complain.

Hi,

clicke here for fees

dennis

Some company in Switzerland makes all the materials, dentists get it from there. If something is cheaper, there is a reason.

My dentist in Sydney told me that, even challenged me with price comparations for the same quality.

Indeed, Thailand was cheaper 10-15% for the same thing. Probably, only the lower labour cost.

My take would be - do it where you are. If something goes wrong, know where to complain.

im not arguing here mate,

but firstly id expect your sydney dentist to tell you that as he wants your business and money. :D

a big reason for dental work being cheaper is the rediculous prices dentists charge in aussie. ( im from perth)

ill present you with an example.

teeth cleaning here in los is 400 baht. ( scale and clean)

teeth cleaning in perth is $110. :o

whats the difference. ? bloody nothing. :D

labour costs are much lower in los, insurances as well but the quality of the work in the large dental establishments are world class.

i wonder if your dentist has ever worked in thailand.? ask him next time. :D

Hi,

clicke here for fees

dennis

Many thanks for all the input. I would like to have it done locally but it would probably run up to $10k USD so Bangkok seems to be the best option all in all.... also a great place to be while the work is being done...

I went to what i percieved to be a dodgy little dentist in Udon for a route canal ond crown on a rear molar two years ago.

It looks and more importantly feels terrific. I recently chipped my front bridge (mountain bike accident) I have started the process of getting a new bridge here in London privately. I asked my new dentist what he thought of the Thai crown and he said it was every bit as good as he would do. It cost me around 8,000 bhat. My new dentist said it would be 700 - 900 pounds!!!!!!

He also mentioned a guy who had his front bridge done in Bangkok and came to see him for an assessment and again he said it was every bit as good as he would do.

I am only opting to have my new work done in London because i need a stump removed surgically and I dont want to be wondering around Thailand with stiches in my gums and no front teeth on my short break.

Also I am lucky enough to have a friend who makes high grade bridges and he will kindly make one for me for nothing. Even with this 900 pound saving it will still cost me more looking at Thai prices.

Thanks for any advise

You should consider a web search to find out more on Philippine dentistry. Obviously this is a Thai forum with bias that way.

Check out this site:

Dental Tour Packages

The prices there are a lot lower than at the Thantakit clinic mentioned on this thread.

There is plenty to do in Manila, but it's definitely better for single guys.

Edited by tropo

I think that Manila has some good dentists but I cannot immagine hanging in Manila for a couple of weeks. It is crowded, dirty and somewhat expensive and little culture and little to do.

Don't forget dangerous! :o

I have met a couple of people that had teeth work done in Manila.They were absolutly rapt with the work and the price.

I had a PI Dentist do a crown on me in Auckland...excellent work too.

There are many Dental tours that go there for a good price and competent work.

...Well, I am sure there are some good dentists in Manila. However, that is not the real problem. Just Google Earth the place and start looking for the cities within the city and the incredible traffic and also there are no good places to stay in the outlaying towns. One of the better clinics is Sacred Heart in Caloocan City... way, way out from downtown Manila.

Considering that price-wise Bangkok is a tad more but the ease of getting to the clinics and the availability of budget guesthouses in a major consideration....

...Well, I am sure there are some good dentists in Manila. However, that is not the real problem. Just Google Earth the place and start looking for the cities within the city and the incredible traffic and also there are no good places to stay in the outlaying towns. One of the better clinics is Sacred Heart in Caloocan City... way, way out from downtown Manila.

Considering that price-wise Bangkok is a tad more but the ease of getting to the clinics and the availability of budget guesthouses in a major consideration....

Have a read about the Dental Tours offered by the Sacret Heart. They've turned dental work requirements into very worthwhile vacations.

The Philippines is a very beautiful country with many interesting places to visit. Manila has a scenic waterfront and to the east there are mountainous regions worth visiting. There are many huge shopping malls which provide pleasant places (oases) to kill several hours. The largest shopping mall in Asian just opened in Manila in May. South of Manila you can visit Calamba, Laguna famous for it's hot springs, or Tagaytay famous for it's scenic views over lake Taal and its volcano. All within 50-60 km range of Manila.

Sure, Manila is overcrowded and polluted with traffic congestion, but a short dental holiday there could be a memorable experience if one will only cast off the negative comments promulgated by the many Thai lovers on this forum.

Edited by tropo

• 3 weeks later...

Hello again. I am resurrecting this to say that I have decided to get my wife's dental work done in Thailand. There are a number of reasons... one is the availability of reasonable hotel, guesthouse rates and the ease of getting to and from the clinics.

There is one last question... there was one recommendation earlier but I am hoping that someone can add to recommending a dental clinic...

I am hoping to be in BKK by mid March and can stay up to thirty days without a visa...

thanks

Dennis

Edited by solodennis

Have a read about the Dental Tours offered by the Sacret Heart. They've turned dental work requirements into very worthwhile vacations.

The Philippines is a very beautiful country with many interesting places to visit. Manila has a scenic waterfront and to the east there are mountainous regions worth visiting. There are many huge shopping malls which provide pleasant places (oases) to kill several hours. The largest shopping mall in Asian just opened in Manila in May. South of Manila you can visit Calamba, Laguna famous for it's hot springs, or Tagaytay famous for it's scenic views over lake Taal and its volcano. All within 50-60 km range of Manila.

Sure, Manila is overcrowded and polluted with traffic congestion, but a short dental holiday there could be a memorable experience if one will only cast off the negative comments promulgated by the many Thai lovers on this forum.

One thing you are leaving out that is important to most visitors is the food. The local cuisine, with a few exceptions such as adobo, is atrocious. Don't even get me started on the rice... Until they do something about the food they will never attract anywhere near the numbers that Thailand does. I should say that if you like your food bland and spiceless, deep fried, like entrails and other goodies, or have a craving for corned beef, velveeta, and saltine crackers you will be in culinary heaven.

When I lived in Manila a few years back we went to a decent dentist located near Forbes Park. I don't think the work was any better than Thailand, and certainly not any cheaper.

...thanks for the input. You are right about the food... there are a some high end hotels that put out good food but very expensive. My wife is Chinese-filipina and she sends a care package to her family in the north of Luzon from time to time... They request little canned sausages, cheezewiz, canned corn beef, and other survival food. We don't question it and send it along. Also we send Japaneses rice I buy at a military store and they are in rice heaven compared to their neighbors...

As I said, we are coming to BKK for my wife's dental work with will be (we think) about six veneers, fillings, cleaning. The work would be about 8 to 10 thousand USD here. I have been in Thailand in the past and am looking forward to return and my wife is excited as well.... I will try to get a decent hotel or guesthouse in the Khai San area just for the fun of the place and good food and some shopping.... After the dental work we want to head north...

For Dental Clinic, you can try Asavanant Dental Clinic. I went there for cleaning and some filling and they're really good and quite reasonable prices (with very friendly and helpful customer service). It is located just at the beginning of Thong-lo Sukhumvit. If you wanna stay nearby, there's a cheap guesthouse behind it (sukhumvit Soi 57), Sawasdee Inn.

• 2 weeks later...

Guangdong Provincial Dental Hospital, Guangzhou, Guangdong, China. I was there last month. A huge, world class, dental hospital. A simple tooth extraction costs 75 RMB, implants costs 1,000 RMB each and a full set of upper dentures costs 1,000 RMB, each of which are about 20% of the prices listed by Thantakit. I never asked about other prices.

Thanks for any advise

I have had work done in both locations. It has been satisfactory in BKK, but I couldn't recommend the dentist I used, at St. Louis Hospital. They made one crown too thin and it developed a hole in the top after 18 months.

If you are already in Manila, there are several good dentists there. When I lived there (2004-mid06), I went to Dr. Torres at the New World hotel (3rd fl medical office suite) in Makati. He did a fantastic job on gold inlays. He does lots of outsourcing work for many US dentists, and his inlays were only about 20% of what you pay there.

Edited by redwooddrive

Iaowai.... Thanks for the input on China. My wife has a sister living in Hong Kong. She does a visa run to Guangzhou twice a year. We will ask her what she can find out about veneers... I will also do some Internet search.

Redwood drive... We are presently in Florida where we have been sweating out my wife's Green Card which should be in our hands in another two weeks. My tentative plan was to fly to BKK and do the work at either Solom Dental or Bangkok Smile one in the Silom area and the other in Sukhumvit. Both have good web sites and responded to macro photos I sent. Wife has never been to Bangkok and it has been nine years since she was in Manila and then she was working for a tobacco company and living in a dorm. So she is not very knowledgeable with Manila and the last time I was there was twenty odd years ago. I was in Bangkok and Nhon Kai a couple of years ago and although I am not a BKK old hand, I do OK...

Wife also has a sister in Manila so will ask her if she can find out about Doc Torres too....

Thanks to you both...

Dennis

Edited by solodennis