Larsson Goes To United?

Jockstar

Just read this on soccernet. What a steal. Hes a proven goalscorer at the highest level.

Larsson arrival end's Man United striker hunt

The shock arrival of Henrik Larsson will mark the end of Manchester United's extensive striker search until next summer.

With his attacking options currently depleted, Sir Alex Ferguson has pulled off a major coup in securing Larsson on a three-month loan from Helsingborg.

The 35-year-old Celtic legend will fly into England at the beginning of January and remain with the Old Trafford outfit until March 12 before returning to his native Sweden for the start of their domestic campaign.

Larsson will provide valuable back-up to first-choice strikers Louis Saha and Wayne Rooney at a time when United hope to be mounting a serious challenge for honours both at home and abroad.

And, while Ferguson continues to be linked with big-money moves for Fernando Torres and Darren Bent, the Scot is convinced now Larsson's arrival is certain, he will not need to look for any more forwards when the transfer window opens next month.

'No, we won't be going for any other strikers,' confirmed the United boss.

'We have exhausted all avenues and this, without doubt, is the best option.'

The imminent return of Ole Gunnar Solskjaer from a hamstring strain should see United through to the new year, when Giuseppe Rossi seems certain to be recalled from his loan spell at Newcastle, offering Ferguson even more alternatives for the start of the Red Devils' FA Cup campaign.

However, the arrival of Larsson has certainly captured the imagination of the United faithful.

Recently voted the best Swedish player of the past 50 years, Larsson scored an incredible 242 goals in 315 appearances during seven highly-successful years at Parkhead before leaving for Barcelona, where he won the Champions League in May.

Ferguson credits Larsson's arrival off the bench when his team were losing to Arsenal as the major factor behind the Catalans' eventual triumph and admitted he tried to sign the player while he was still in Scotland.

'We made a move for him while he was still at Celtic but they managed to persuade him to stay,' revealed Ferguson.

'I always knew he wanted to try Barcelona but we didn't go for him when he was leaving there in the summer because we were under the impression he wanted to go back to Sweden, which he did.'

However, with it becoming increasingly obvious United could not hope to maintain a successful title quest with the strikers currently available, Ferguson told chief scout Jim Lawlor to pursue a hunch over Larsson with Helsingborg coach, and fellow Scot, Stuart Baxter.

Although Larsson has extensive business interests in his homeland, he was willing to take up the challenge of appearing in the Premiership for the first time in his career.

His first United appearance is likely to be in an FA Cup third-round tie, with a possible Premiership debut against Aston Villa, whose manager Martin O'Neill used to be his boss at Celtic, a week later.

Unless his loan period is extended, something Ferguson doubts will happen, Larsson will be available for a maximum of 13 games, including the first Champions League knock-out round and testing trips to Arsenal and Liverpool.

'The length of the contract is perfect,' said Larsson.

I probably won't play every match from the start, but for me it feels like a very fun thing to contribute at such a late stage in my career.

'I have no idea how Sir Alex wants to use me. I will be back-up at the beginning, then we will see what I can contribute and where things are going.'

Larsson will link up with his new team-mates ahead of the trip to West Ham on December 17, then train at Carrington for a week before heading back to Sweden for Christmas, then returning to England a week later.

However, Ferguson has been keen to stress Larsson's arrival does not mark the end of Alan Smith's stay at Old Trafford, even though the £6million former Leeds front-man has not even been seen on the bench since being substituted in the Carling Cup defeat to Southend.

'Alan's future with the club is good,' declared Ferguson.

'The problem was we misread the situation when he came back from his injury.

'He did very well in pre-season but after that, there was no progress and we didn't really realise it until we saw him play against Crewe and Southend.

'Now we have got him on a quite intensive speed programme and he is working very hard at that. He knows there is a lot of hard work to do but he is progressing well.

Looks like he could have gone back to Celtic. This from The Daily Record website.

STRACHAN: HEN RIGHT TO KO US

By Hugh Keevins

GORDON STRACHAN has admitted Henrik Larsson was right to go to Manchester United on loan and forget about returning to Celtic.

The Parkhead manager said contact had been made about the possibility of the Magnificent Seven and the Hoops support renewing their love affair.

But Strachan revealed that the feedback Celtic received from the Swede was that his era in Glasgow would need to remain an indelible memory for the fans.

He said: "The feedback was that was it as far as Henrik and Celtic were concerned.

"He thought it wouldn't be a wise decision and we would not have wanted to put him under any pressure."

Larsson, voted the greatest foreign player to have worn a Celtic jersey, is an icon in the eyes of the supporters.

Advertisement

Strachan said the striker was right to keep intact the memory of seven fantastic years when he became the club's third top scorer.

He said: "Henrik's right to stay a living legend in the eyes of the fans. Sometimes it's wrong to retrace your steps.

"He deserves the adoration of the fans."

Larsson won the Champions League with Barcelona by coming on as a sub and destroying Arsenal in May.

He then went home to sign for Helsingborgs but Strachan understands why he has had a change of heart.

He said: "When Manchester United come along you just change your mind completely.

"I don't know if Henrik will tip the balance United's way when it comes to the title but I know he deserves it."

Edited by Jockstar

LARSSON WOULD HAVE BURRIED US

He'd have scored Saha chances says Mark

By Neil Cameron

MARK WILSON last night insisted Celtic's Champions League dreams could have been in tatters had Henrik Larsson joined Manchester United a couple of weeks earlier.

Wilson reckons the Magnificent Seven would have been certain to put away the penalty that Louis Saha missed last week to secure Celtic's passage to the last 16.

The right-back was a Hoops fan before he arrived at Parkhead just over a year ago as a player - and Larsson was his hero.

But he could hardly believe his ears when he returned from training at Barrowfield at lunchtime yesterday to discover that Old Trafford boss Sir Alex Ferguson had made the Swede his latest signing.

Wilson did not hesitate to say that Larsson would be a success at United, just as he has been wherever he has played.

But the Celtic star was delighted that the "King of Kings" did not seal the move to the Premiership leaders until now.

Advertisement

He said: "If Henrik had played in the game last week he would have stuck away that penalty or at least one of the other chances they had. So I'm glad he hadn't joined United before we played them.

"It is an unbelievable move for him. I don't think many people saw it coming. Henrik is a fantastic player who scored goals here and at Barcelona.

"I'm sure it will be no different at Manchester United. He will be a great signing for them in the time that he is there.

"I thought Henrik was about to call it a day and take a step back. I was surprised when he left Barcelona for Helsingborgs but to step back into the big time is a shock.

"He was brilliant for Celtic and brought so much joy to the fans with all the goals he scored. His all-round play meant he was a great servant to the club and gave so much. Henrik wasn't one of those foreign players who came here just for the money.

"You could see he cared about the club and was sorely missed when he left.

"In fact, it's only now that we are getting over his departure, although we would like him still to be here."

Wilson may be a Celtic fan but as a Dundee United player the sight of Larsson was never one to be enjoyed as an opposition player, no matter how much he admired the hitman.

Larsson hammered in more goals against United thanWilson cared to count or remember.

But there was one day when he didn't mind too much.

He said: "There were a lot of times when he scored against United and always made it difficult for us.

"Henrik's last league game for Celtic was against United at Parkhead and I was part of that. It was a great occasion.

"He scored two goals that day and the crowd went really wild. I even got a goal that day - from a penalty - although we were 2-0 down by them.

"But it was good to score on that particular day.

"Henrik was one of the best players to have played in Scottish football. I speak to the guys here and they talk about the way he worked on his upper body and that all the young boys learned from him in training."

Wilson broke a bone in his foot during the first Champions League clash with Manchester United and is only now getting back to full fitness.

Paul Telfer has done well since he returned to the side but it is likely to be only be a matter of time before 22-year-old Wilson regains his place.

He said: "I'm okay. I played half an hour for the reserves last week and then 75 minutes on Tuesday. That was a good workout.

"It has been good to train with the first-team again. My foot is fine and it's a case of waiting for my chance.

"I did feel left out of it when the boys were winning and doing well. At least I was on the bench for the United match and felt part of things again."

It remains to be seen whether Wilson features against Aberdeen today and against a former teammate who is enjoying his football again after some tough times.

Wilson said: "I played with Lee Miller last season and he had a tough time at Tannadice.

"But he was a terrific player in training and sometimes didn't get a chance in games when he was subbed after an hour or so.

"I don't know if he enjoyed United but he has shown at Aberdeen what a good player he is and has scored some important goals for them.

"Nobody has really spoken much about Aberdeen. They have sneaked up on everyone and are joint second.

"It was tough for us at Pittodrie and we were maybe lucky to win 1-0.

"Aberdeen might be more defensive at Parkhead and try to hit us on the break."

LARSSON FACTFILE

1971: Born September 10, in Sweden.

1986: Joins hometown club Helsingborgs.

1993: Joins Feyenoord and wins Dutch Cup twice.

1994: In Sweden's World Cup squad in USA.

1997: Joins Celtic for £650,000.

1998: Scores 16 league goals as Celtic win title.

1999: Named Sweden's Player of the Year. Breaks leg in Lyon.

2000: Plays at Euro 2000 for Sweden,

2001: Helps Celtic to treble, wins UEFA Golden Shoe and breaks Charlie Nicholas' post-war record of 48 goals in a season.

2002: Quits international scene after World Cup and becomes Scotland's top scorer in Europe with 22.

2003: Fractures his jaw, returns to international scene, nets twice in UEFA Cup Final but Porto win 3-2.

2004: Equals Bobby Lennox's post-war record of 167 league goals. Final tally is 242 goals in 315 games. Joins Barcelona. Plays at Euro 2004.

2006: Helps Barca win La Liga and comes on as sub as they beat Arsenal 2-1 in the Champions League Final, making both goals.

Returns to Helsingborgs. Agrees to join Manchester United on a three-month loan from January 1, 2007.

LARSSON OLDBOYS

HENRIK LARSSON'S move to Manchester United will see him become the latest former Celtic player to make the move to Old Trafford.

Here are some of his illustrious predecessors:

Jimmy Delaney

Sir Matt Busby made the late Parkhead legend one of his first signings in 1946.

Two years later Delaney earned the unique distinction of being an FA Cup winner in England, Scotland and Northern Ireland.

Pat Crerand

After six lean years at Parkhead, Crerand signed for £40,000 in 1963 and won almost everything in the club game. Another star of Busby's Old Trafford tenure, he was instrumental in the European Cup win of 1968.

Lou Macari

One of the famous "Quality Street Kids" Macari left Glasgow in 1973 for £220,000 and became an Old Trafford great.

Brian McClair

Snapped up by Alex Ferguson in 1987 the hitman made an instant impact bagging 24 goals in his first season and became a United hero.

Liam Miller

Signed on a Bosman in 2004 but after failing to make an impression he was loaned out to Leeds and is now at Sunderland.

HENRIK IS IN SHOCK LIKE ALL OF US

By Neil Cameron

CELTIC legend Henrik Larsson admits he felt humbled when he found out Sir Alex Ferguson still wanted him at Manchester United.

The Swede stunned football yesterday when it was announced he'd signed a three-month loan deal at Old Trafford from his hometown club Helsingborgs, starting next month.

Ferguson had tried to buy Larsson twice before when he was at Celtic, only for the striker to stay in Glasgow.

But the 35-year-old still can't believe he's finally on his way to Manchester and the English Premiership.

Larsson said: "I'm really excited about the prospect of going to Manchester United and I feel quite humbled that such a huge club and great manager are interested in what I can do.

"It's well known that United made enquiries about me when I was with Celtic but it wasn't possible then.

Advertisement

"So it's great now that I have the opportunity to come to this great club and see what I can do.

"I've played for some wonderful clubs in my career at Feyenoord, Celtic and Barcelona and now it's wonderful that I can get the chance to go to Old Trafford, even if it's just for a short time.

"I know all about United's history and traditions and it's an honour to be able to be a part of that. It's a huge club and I'm looking forward to playing in front of the fans.

"The deal is for three months and I feel it works out really well for everybody. It's during Helsingborgs' close season and it will keep me match fit. My family are also great with it as well and they will be able to travel back and forth."

Larsson has nothing less to prove after a glittering career but this is a chance to show England what all the fuss has been about.

He said: "I haven't played in the Premiership before although I've obviously faced Premiership sides many times and I know all about the league.

"It is undoubtedly one of the best football competitions in the world and it's a fantastic challenge.

"It's very strong and physically demanding but I'm not worried about the physical aspect after playing in Scotland.

"I haven't spoken with Sir Alex Ferguson in detail about how he wants to use me but I'm aware it's unlikely I'll be starting every game while I'm there.

"I'm going there to do my best and attempt to fulfil any role the coach wants for me.

"I'm going there as support but I want to contribute something to United's season so we'll just have to see what happens after I arrive.

"I'm thrilled to have the chance to play alongside great strikers like Wayne Rooney and Louis Saha and the whole squad is professional.

"All I can do is my best and at the end of the three months I would like to look back and think that I had added something and helped United have a successful season."

Larsson will travel to England for United's game against West Ham at Upton Park on December 17 and then train with the club for a week before returning to Sweden for Christmas.

United boss Ferguson said: "I have always admired him. I made a move for him when he was at Celtic but they managed to persuade him to stay.

"He is a great player and this is a terrific bit of business for us. We are bringing someone in who can change a game.

"When you think back to the Champions League Final he won it for Barcelona when he came on.

"He can play wide right, wide left or up front. I am really happy we have got him. I would have liked to have signed him long ago but I knew he wanted to go to Barcelona and then he went home."