That One Time Michael Jackson Came to Bangkok 20 Years Ago

rooster59

That One Time Michael Jackson Came to Bangkok 20 Years Ago

By Chayanit Itthipongmaetee, Staff Reporter

MJ1.jpg

Michael Jackson is greeted by children in traditional dress as he arrives ahead of his 1996 concert in Bangkok. Photo: Charles Dharapak / Associated Press

BANGKOK — Wirintip Siriratanaanan remained in her seat for all of three songs. After that, with the world’s biggest superstar on stage, the high school sophomore leaped from of her seat when the funky bass line of “Smooth Criminal” began and ran to the stage.

The year was 1996, and today is exactly 20 years since Michael Jackson’s History World Tour brought him to Impact Muang Thong Thani. It was to be the last time he would perform in Thailand, and an army of thousands flocked to see the King of Pop perform. 

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/culture/2016/11/05/one-time-michael-jackson-came-bangkok-20-years-ago/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2016-11-05

27 minutes ago, KhaoNiaw said:

Didn't he come twice?

I seem to remember everyone going crazy the first time but not so much the second time.

That's right, it was the first time he pranced along the runway inspecting the police, himself in a Thai uniform, the second time he was going through his mask phrase being even weirder than normal,  didn't  he cancel the concert too?

Come on Johnniey, tell us a story or two, we've go the time. He can't sue you.

13 minutes ago, ALLSEEINGEYE said:

we're waiting..........

Share pretty please which reminds me he was here 20 years ago would that not be around the time that the "pretty" one that caused the accident and is in hospital at the moment have been conceived? There seems to be genetic similarities just asking. 

Actually just as he arrived the media in the US were going crazy about allegations of kiddie-fiddling at his ranch. The sponsors - Pepsi - cancelled (postponed) the forthcoming appearance saying that Jackson was 'dehydrated'.

Next day Coke ran a huge placard on Viv/Rangsit: 'Dehydrated? There's always Coke'.

3 hours ago, KhaoNiaw said:

Didn't he come twice?

I seem to remember everyone going crazy the first time but not so much the second time.

Yes, he gave a concert several years earlier, in 1992 I believe... or was supposed to give it. Muang Thong Thani didn't exist yet, so it was supposed to be held at the National Stadium on Rama I Road. I had a free seat with a fantastic bird's eye view right into the stadium from my condo window.

Unfortunately, when Michael arrived in Bangkok, the poor sod suffered extreme dehydration and canceled his show. He was a spokesperson for Pepsi-Cola back then. The marketing team at the local Coca-Cola company immediately grabbed up that fantastic opportunity. The next day, all local newspapers (including the Bangkok Post and the Nation) carried full-page ads: A blank page with big black lettering reading "Dehydrated? There's always Coke!"

I found that incredibly witty and I think I still have that ad buried somewhere in my archive.

Edited by Misterwhisper
error correction

30 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Talented at what?? certainly not singing, even peltin Elton could sing better.

I did not personally care for the boy / man and his music and lifestyle etc but statistics are just that and for someone who sold 750 million albums worldwide,  got 13 Grammys and 26 American Music Awards your flippant dismissal of his talent is noteworthy. Hundreds of millions of people liked him, apparently.

32 minutes ago, ratcatcher said:

I did not personally care for the boy / man and his music and lifestyle etc but statistics are just that and for someone who sold 750 million albums worldwide,  got 13 Grammys and 26 American Music Awards your flippant dismissal of his talent is noteworthy. Hundreds of millions of people liked him, apparently.

I would struggle to even name two of his songs. Hundreds of millions liked the Rolling Stones too, and surely you are not going to say Mick Jagger was even a good singer, never mind great. As far as singing is concerned, put Michael Jackson on the same stage as Elvis or Roy Orbison, and he would be greatly shown up no matter how many records he has sold.

4 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I would struggle to even name two of his songs. Hundreds of millions liked the Rolling Stones too, and surely you are not going to say Mick Jagger was even a good singer, never mind great. As far as singing is concerned, put Michael Jackson on the same stage as Elvis or Roy Orbison, and he would be greatly shown up no matter how many records he has sold.

As a fellow Phichiteer, I bow to your superior knowledge of musician's talent. Enjoy your breakfast tomorrow.:wink:.

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

Don't forget Perry Como, and Vera Lynn.

3 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

Yes, he gave a concert several years earlier, in 1992 I believe... or was supposed to give it. Muang Thong Thani didn't exist yet, so it was supposed to be held at the National Stadium on Rama I Road. I had a free seat with a fantastic bird's eye view right into the stadium from my condo window.

Unfortunately, when Michael arrived in Bangkok, the poor sod suffered extreme dehydration and canceled his show. He was a spokesperson for Pepsi-Cola back then. The marketing team at the local Coca-Cola company immediately grabbed up that fantastic opportunity. The next day, all local newspapers (including the Bangkok Post and the Nation) carried full-page ads: A blank page with big black lettering reading "Dehydrated? There's always Coke!"

I found that incredibly witty and I think I still have that ad buried somewhere in my archive.

Looking at a couple of old reports, he played the first night but they added a second night a few days later to try to meet with demand and that was the one that was cancelled.