Built in Wardrobe

Seizetheday

Folks, I've been quoted 12,000 Baht a metre for a built in wardrobe, highish quality, I need about 5.5 mtrs. This is about the same price if I bought the wardrobe from IKEA, although obviously  they aren't built in, has anyone lately had a wardrobe fitted, if so, am I being ripped off ( again!! )

10 hours ago, Seizetheday said:

Folks, I've been quoted 12,000 Baht a metre for a built in wardrobe, highish quality, I need about 5.5 mtrs. This is about the same price if I bought the wardrobe from IKEA, although obviously  they aren't built in, has anyone lately had a wardrobe fitted, if so, am I being ripped off ( again!! )

What does "highish quality" mean? Is it solid wood? Teak? Softwood? MDF? Veneered? Painted? Laminated?

I enquired about a free-standing solid wood wardrobe and was quoted 100,000B  by one shop in Thepprasit, and 30,000B by another. That's for 270cm wide by 230. The first was clearly a rip-off and the second started with "how much do you want to pay". Both of which p*ss me off completely.

I would never buy anything here without getting multiple quotes. Scams are never-ending.

Edited by KittenKong

Really need to know more about materials used. Friend just built himself a nice one from all "rubberwood" Looks great. Cost very little.

Thai type go from 7K - 25K depending on height, materials, complexity. If you go for the cheap ply, at least treat it with Chaindrite anti-termite-paint/liquid....Helps to keep them away for about 10 years.

I have a much better way these days. Have a wall left and right, usually 50-60 cm deep.. Install commercial alu frame/track with commercial alu sliding door frame. Before you install, you fill door-frame - alu guy does for you - not with glass, but with 5 or 6-mm cement board/smartboard. Paint or fiber-wallpaper and paint. Make shelves from rubberwood as needed. Or add a IKEA drawer unit. Cheap, bugproof and looks great and never issues with hinges, humidity etc. You can get alu in natural, white, brown or black. Looks great and indestructible. Also works great for any furniture, top/cover with wood or granite. I mail you sample picture. With a bit of phantasy can create really nice solid versions. But make sure using the wider/stronger commercial frame. If very big doors or deciding for mirrors, hang them, not slide, smaller ones are light enough to slide. Could also fill with any type plexi or colored-cracked glass Good luck.  MS>

Edited by moonseeker