any hints on cash only countries like Laos and Myanmar?

chubby

any hints on cash only countries like Laos and Myanmar?

I guess I can just go from ATM to ATM  using my US and/or thai ATM cards. 

and stash cash in various places, like ?$2-300 USD  or  ?more 

or do people still carry travellers checks , if so where to buy them near sukhumwit?

I travel extensively all over the world.  I rarely use credit cards, only for airlines and expensive hotels.  Otherwise, ATMs only.  Never had a problem anywhere.  Turkmenistan and Uzbekistan were a bit difficult, but not too bad.

33 minutes ago, Searat7 said:

Myanmar is very fussy about the condition of dollar bills.

VERY fussy!! A tiny rip in the corner and I can't use a $50. Also make sure you reciprocate when they give you change in US$, any rips or even marks, refuse to accept it.

Take US$ but use local currency wherever you can, which is almost everywhere. 
I found Myanmar to be extremely safe so never worry about taking a lot of cash on my when I go there. 

Can I also mention that in Laos, Baht is widely accepted in many places, it's like a universal currency, I think, even items like bikes and cars are priced in baht.

There must be a reason why currency exchanges are rammed every payday as Laos people convert there wedge of kip to a couple of thousand baht notes.

I always carry a few thousand in 1000's and 500's for emergencies or when you are nearing the end of your trip when you don't want to go to the atm and end up with a wedge of currency. 

Also, Baht is pretty accessible, you aren't doing multiple currency transactions to get it.

I don't take much notice these days, but there was a time when you could get a better rate for baht than USD.

Also worth mentioning that you can also change baht and USD lots of places,  even mom and pop shops on the VN border late at night when you are really pushed. DVD rental or mobile telephone shops were always good if the banks or exchanges were closed.

ATMs man thats all you need, should have two cards though in case your bank or theirs make a mistake and eat your card or close it off. I don't know how many kip you can get per draw though. Next time I come back from the US I will bring all bran new $100 bills. Can only bring $10,000 I guess. Maybe not worth the hassle as the ATM thing works well for me.

7 hours ago, pogal said:

VERY fussy!! A tiny rip in the corner and I can't use a $50. Also make sure you reciprocate when they give you change in US$, any rips or even marks, refuse to accept it.

Take US$ but use local currency wherever you can, which is almost everywhere. 
I found Myanmar to be extremely safe so never worry about taking a lot of cash on my when I go there. 

Do they take baht,like Laos and Cambo?

Its been about 3 years since I went to Myanmar. As people have said crisp new USD were the go. Bank exchanges are very very careful. However one of the Hotels had 2 private cash exchanges and they were a lot better. I cannot remember the name but I am sure if you ask at your hotel they will direct you. There were people on the streets also who would exchange the damaged ones.

Bangkok may have branches there. Not sure about ATMs (There were no international ones when I went)

Googled this

http://www.cbm.gov.mm/content/1228

There are ATM's everywhere now in the major cities and towns of Myanmar.  Everywhere.

And don't exchange notes with people on the streets - that's just asking for trouble, use your common sense and stick to banks and licenced money changers.

Many ATMs, but they do not accept a wide selection of overseas banking cards

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

12 minutes ago, Sealbash said:

Many ATMs, but they do not accept a wide selection of overseas banking cards

What do you mean by that?  I use to travel with both a VISA and a MC.  But one bank changed and I've only got VISA cards now.  I've had problems with this in the past.

What do you mean by that?  I use to travel with both a VISA and a MC.  But one bank changed and I've only got VISA cards now.  I've had problems with this in the past.

Citibank is not accepted. Thai banks are not a problem. Amex is extremely rarely accepted. Basically, not all foreign bank cards are accepted

13 minutes ago, Sealbash said:

Citibank is not accepted. Thai banks are not a problem. Amex is extremely rarely accepted. Basically, not all foreign bank cards are accepted

Not unusual for many other places in the world.  Especially the smaller and more remote countries.

I think any VISA/MC would be accepted.  Isn't Citibank VISA or MC?

28 minutes ago, Sealbash said:

Again, not correct.  Used my Australian Citibank Visa card less than two weeks ago to draw cash in Myanmar.

7 minutes ago, Argus Tuft said:

Again, not correct.  Used my Australian Citibank Visa card less than two weeks ago to draw cash in Myanmar.

Being from the same bank doesn't make them equal, yours being accepted doesn't mean everybody's CitiBank card will  and vice versa.

Edited by Rob13

3 minutes ago, Rob13 said:

Being from the same bank doesn't make them equal, yours being accepted doesn't mean everybody's CitiBank card will  and vice versa.

Unless some strange restrictions are being applied, or a travel notice wasn't supplied, VISA/MCs are all basically the same.  Day limits aside.  But I may be wrong!  The only time I've had problems with my cards, over 15 years of traveling to some 75 countries, were blocks by the bank because they didn't know I was in the country.  Or after I made multiple purchases and they blocked it.  Argentina did have really small daily limits.  Like $100.  That was tough!

Ok from my own experience, been in Myanmar for the last 4 years and still there at present, i have no problem getting cash from ATM's in Myanmar (been in most places) using either my ATM card from Bangkok, from SCB or using my credit cards visa or Mastercard from Bangkok Bank.
More and more hotel from mid range to top range are accepting credit cards now (but it might be problematic in some case due to internet connection "connection error").
The exchange rate today is 1,287 MMK for 1 USD. The hotel where i am staying at the moment is changing at 1,350 if you pay in MMK instead of USD.
ATM takes usually 5,000 MMK (depends on the bank some take 6,000) per withdraw whatever the amount and the maximum withdraw is 300,000 MMK.
USD notes still need to be very very clean otherwise they won't accept it.
THB is not accepted as payment method unless maybe in the border of Thailand.
I found one exchange place in Yangon where they accept THB. Not sure if there are more as I never look after it.
The new debit card from Bangkok Bank (with the chip) is rarelly accepted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A further common sense bit of advice - applies to any foreign travel really.  Telephone your card issuing bank before you travel, and tell them what countries you will be in and the dates/period of travel.

1.  Anti-fraud

2.  Following on from 1., it means your card won't suddenly be blocked the first time you stick it in the ATM in that country trying to get out some much needed cash

:)

hypothetically,  if you were in Laos  and lost your ATM cards, or they were accepted where you were and ran out of cash what would you do ?

ask you family to Western Union you some money?  I assume they have those in Laos?